Telephone numbers circa 1972

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Dalehelms
Posts: 328
Joined: Sat 10 Mar, 2007 5:00 pm

Re: Telephone numbers circa 1972

Post by Dalehelms »

Prior to the Leeds code being 0113, it was 0532 this was followed by the individual 6 digit number. We lived in Cookridge from 1969 to 1974. Our number was 0532 676945. In 1974 we moved to Horsforth where our number was 0532 585969. In 1983 we moved to Rawdon where our number was 0532 505189. The Leeds code was 0532 until it changed to 0113 plus 2 before the old 6 digit number. Our Rawdon number changed to 0113 2505189. Not sure if this is of help, but I've had fun finding out my old phone numbers courtesy of my late mother's telephone directories!

gchq
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri 07 Aug, 2020 7:57 pm

Re: Telephone numbers circa 1972

Post by gchq »

I can see that my father's number (he lived on Vesper Road) was five digits from 1963(ish) to 1970 - by 1972 it had changed to six digits.

The number I have is written on the back of a photo from around 1945 and is in the format 'Leeds 67 2350' - at first I thought it related to a date in 1967 and some random number, until the proverbial penny dropped :-)

iansmithofotley
Posts: 490
Joined: Fri 28 Dec, 2007 4:10 pm

Re: Telephone numbers circa 1972

Post by iansmithofotley »

volvojack wrote:
Sat 08 Aug, 2020 3:45 pm
Ian, I have a telephone bill dated 18th. January 1967. This was for the Highfield Hotel, South Ridge St, Leeds 11. (off Beeston ) Hill the bill is for £10. 1s. 8d. this includes 415 calls at 2d. Rental £4. and various calls via the Operator. The telephone number was 257 77186. The landlord at that time was a friend if mine Joe Hurd if you would like this i would post it to you as it is of no use to me.
When i got married in 1960 we had a phone installed and since then we moved twice but for the life of me i cannot recall any of them.
Hi Jack - I have checked the Leeds telephone directory for 1968 and it doesn't show the Highfield Hotel as a separate entry, but it shows - Hurd J.L., Highfield Hotel, South Ridge Street, Leeds 11. The phone number was Leeds 77186. I have no idea what the 257 means in your post, maybe it is an administration code. In 1967, all Leeds City numbers were of either five or six figures. There wasn't a Leeds Telephone Directory in 1967 (at that time, they were not always brought out annually). Even the Leeds City Police number was Leeds 35353.

Ian

iansmithofotley
Posts: 490
Joined: Fri 28 Dec, 2007 4:10 pm

Re: Telephone numbers circa 1972

Post by iansmithofotley »

gchq wrote:
Sat 08 Aug, 2020 6:06 pm
I can see that my father's number (he lived on Vesper Road) was five digits from 1963(ish) to 1970 - by 1972 it had changed to six digits.

The number I have is written on the back of a photo from around 1945 and is in the format 'Leeds 67 2350' - at first I thought it related to a date in 1967 and some random number, until the proverbial penny dropped :-)
Hi gchq - I have checked the 1945 Leeds Telephone Directory and found that nearly all the numbers were of five figures. However, even in 1945, I noticed that some numbers had six figures and all of these appear to start with a 2.

In relation to your photograph with 672350 on the back, I suspect that, at a much later date, someone had been making a note of a telephone number and just written the number on the first thing that was to hand, i.e. your photograph, so the number could possibly be not be connected with the photograph or your family.

After all these posts and intrigue, it would be interesting to know who the number was allocated to, but it may have changed hands several times over the years.

These are just my thoughts, that's all.

Ian

jma
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri 05 Aug, 2016 3:38 pm

Re: Telephone numbers circa 1972

Post by jma »

One reason that Leeds numbers were shorter then is that there were separate numbers for a lot of places like Pudsey and Morley which are now lumped under Leeds.

gchq
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri 07 Aug, 2020 7:57 pm

Re: Telephone numbers circa 1972

Post by gchq »

iansmithofotley wrote:
Sat 08 Aug, 2020 9:28 pm
gchq wrote:
Sat 08 Aug, 2020 6:06 pm
I can see that my father's number (he lived on Vesper Road) was five digits from 1963(ish) to 1970 - by 1972 it had changed to six digits.

The number I have is written on the back of a photo from around 1945 and is in the format 'Leeds 67 2350' - at first I thought it related to a date in 1967 and some random number, until the proverbial penny dropped :-)
Hi gchq - I have checked the 1945 Leeds Telephone Directory and found that nearly all the numbers were of five figures. However, even in 1945, I noticed that some numbers had six figures and all of these appear to start with a 2.

In relation to your photograph with 672350 on the back, I suspect that, at a much later date, someone had been making a note of a telephone number and just written the number on the first thing that was to hand, i.e. your photograph, so the number could possibly be not be connected with the photograph or your family.

After all these posts and intrigue, it would be interesting to know who the number was allocated to, but it may have changed hands several times over the years.

These are just my thoughts, that's all.

Ian
Ian
You could well be correct. I have tried that number every hour today, up to 20:00 your time (I'm in Nevada) and it just rings out. It could be they are on holiday, or it's a business closed for the weekend or closed because of the virus.

The only reason I would think the number and the photograph could be linked is that it is annotated in one set of handwriting 'Grandad, George Fogden - my father' that I can almost certainly say is my maternal grandmothers writing. In another set of handwriting, and upside down, is the phone number - that must be my mother's.

It does seem to suggest that my mother didn't know her grandfather, otherwise why the explanation as to who it is? If that was the only photograph of him, why else write that number on the back - I can't see it just lying around

I will keep trying to call. Stateside there are hardly any residential landlines now - started to lose traction a decade ago and nearly everyone has got rid of them now

User avatar
mhoulden
Posts: 375
Joined: Fri 27 Nov, 2009 8:00 pm
Location: Wortley
Contact:

Re: Telephone numbers circa 1972

Post by mhoulden »

The number is on Adel telephone exchange. Through Ancestry.co.uk I have access to old telephone directories. However there are no Fogdens with that number or an Adel address in the 1970, 1972 or 1975 directories.

gchq
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri 07 Aug, 2020 7:57 pm

Re: Telephone numbers circa 1972

Post by gchq »

mhoulden wrote:
Sun 09 Aug, 2020 1:17 am
The number is on Adel telephone exchange. Through Ancestry.co.uk I have access to old telephone directories. However there are no Fogdens with that number or an Adel address in the 1970, 1972 or 1975 directories.
Yes - I also did a check with phone directories for Fogden and came up with nothing. I would think that the person in the photo probably died not long after 1945, but - say - a married daughter, or other relative, in 1972?

volvojack
Posts: 1410
Joined: Tue 26 Jan, 2016 11:57 am

Re: Telephone numbers circa 1972

Post by volvojack »

Hello Ian, This G.P.0. bill for the Highfield Hotel shows 257. 77186 and is printed so. maybe as you say it could be some sort of admin code. the strange thing is that this phone number is shown in a separate box from everything else. sadly i can not ask Joe as he is pulling pints up in the pub where all landlords go in time.

gchq
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri 07 Aug, 2020 7:57 pm

Re: Telephone numbers circa 1972

Post by gchq »

iansmithofotley wrote:
Sat 08 Aug, 2020 11:11 am
I would add that I have just phoned 01132 672350 and the number rang, so it still exists (I didn't speak to anyone). If you want information, it is possible that the same people have the same number which they have had since 1972. You could give it a try ( unless this is your own current phone number).
I have tried this number every day now. It could be they see an international number on caller ID and think it's some sales person, or debt collector even.

If anyone has the time to call from a local number and see if they get a response, and let them know why a strange number from the States is trying to contact them I would appreciate it :-)

Of course - they might be on holiday

Post Reply