Fulneck Model Railway?

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
rbnfrance

Post by rbnfrance »

Anybody know about this or what it was? If you go through Fulneck towards the Bankhouse. Before you get to it, there is a pathway leading up a set of old stone steps. If you go up them, there is a lot of dog sh## and a large overgrown model railway on the right. It appears to be in the grounds of a kind of Manor house named Woodlands/Woodlands Court. Does anyone know more about this building/model railway?

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

The railway used to be owned by a man called Swallow (Leonard?) who was Pudsey magistrate who lived at the house.

chamusdarrach

Post by chamusdarrach »

took a walk past this model railway today, does'nt appear to have been used for several years, but the amount of civil engineering that has gone into the construction of this railway is staggering!Took a few pictures, will upload them when I work out how.
The Health and Safey Executive." Striving to take the fun and enjoyment of life away from us all "

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Moved to Transport section.Ta,dsco
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

Si

Post by Si »

There used to be another private model village in Pudsey. I don't remember if it had a railway, though. It was in the back garden of a terraced house overlooked by a ginnel that ran parallel to the top of Occupation Lane. The ginnel came out near what used to be Blackburn's sweet shop (now a hairdressers, I think.) I wonder if it's still there?

lynwoodlad

Post by lynwoodlad »

Do any Armley/Wortley ites recall the terraced house near Whingate junction (opposite and just up from the Police Station) which had an amazing collection of railway stuff in the front garden?There was an array of signs, lanterns and stuff and even a full sized signal. I used to love walking from Dixon Lane up to Oxleys with my Mum, as a nipper just so I could gawp for a few minutes into the garden!I would guess this was in the mid/late 60's    

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

There's a model railway behind what used to be the NUPE HQ at Tingley opposite Blackgates School - or there used to be.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

Sorry to drag this one 'kicking & screaming'back into the daylight Trojan wrote: There's a model railway behind what used to be the NUPE HQ at Tingley opposite Blackgates School - or there used to be. It is indeed still there, & is the home of the 'West Riding Small Locomotive Society'We've been there on a few occasions as guests of a comittee memberhttp://sites.google.com/a/wrsls.com/www/homeAlthough it's nowhere near as impressive as the grounds/track of the 'Ryedale Society Of Model Engineers' who are based at East Gilling (south-east of Ampleforth)http://www.rsme.org.uk/I knew of East Gillings existance, but had never been to it, however on attending a Cyclo-Cross race last summer at Moat Hill School (the ' junior annex' of Ampleforth College)I found to my utter delight that their grounds were opposite the Schools entrance, but as I was blethered up in mud, sweaty & wet, it seemed unfair to go in.So, I just spent a happy half-hour watching the trains go by.I'll definately be taking my wife & daughter up to see them on one of their summer passenger days though

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

lynwoodlad wrote: Do any Armley/Wortley ites recall the terraced house near Whingate junction (opposite and just up from the Police Station) which had an amazing collection of railway stuff in the front garden?There was an array of signs, lanterns and stuff and even a full sized signal. I used to love walking from Dixon Lane up to Oxleys with my Mum, as a nipper just so I could gawp for a few minutes into the garden!I would guess this was in the mid/late 60's     Yes I remeber it well from the 1960s when I used to drive past on the 45 Stanks - Wortley buses - its a wonder I never wandered off the road with gawping at it - it was a fascianting collection.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

lynwoodlad wrote: Do any Armley/Wortley ites recall the terraced house near Whingate junction (opposite and just up from the Police Station) which had an amazing collection of railway stuff in the front garden?There was an array of signs, lanterns and stuff and even a full sized signal. I used to love walking from Dixon Lane up to Oxleys with my Mum, as a nipper just so I could gawp for a few minutes into the garden!I would guess this was in the mid/late 60's     Now that you mention it I also recall the house with a full size signal in the garden, which i used to walk past every now and again.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!