The Green Final

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

There was also a very small news stand late on Saturday nights near the front canopy of the Queens Hotel. You could get Sunday's News of the World there, certainly before Midnight. The timetables for the very extensive Night bus services (double day fares) were in a wood and glass display case on the railings of the GPO near Infirmary Street.    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

BLAKEY wrote: There was also a very small news stand late on Saturday nights near the front canopy of the Queens Hotel. You could get Sunday's News of the World there, certainly before Midnight. The timetables for the very extensive Night bus services (double day fares) were in a wood and glass display case on the railings of the GPO near Infirmary Street.     There used to be a bloke who stood outside the Fforde Grene on Saturday evening who sold newspapers and magazines. You could buy the Empire News, a Sunday newspaper round about 6.30p.m. on Saturday night. The football match reports only went up to half-time. The paper was printed in Manchester and later merged with the News of the World.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

LS13

Post by LS13 »

There was an article on the Green Post in YEP a few weeks ago following the retirement of one of the old 'sellers'. Apparently they had a mobile printing press in a van at Elland Road and used to knock them out from there. Still no idea how they collated all the results so quickly though!

Leodian

Re: The Green Final

Post by Leodian »

The Yorkshire Evening Post (YEP) has been stating for some while that it was to print a 'Green Post Rebooted' supplement covering classic Leeds United matches. An 8 page 'Green Post Rebooted Issue 1' supplement is in today's YEP (May 23 2020) but I was disappointed that it was printed on the usual white paper not on green paper like the Green Final used to be.

With the passing of time I cannot now recall if the long defunct Yorkshire Evening News had a special sports edition equivalent to the Green Final.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Re:

Post by Leodian »

LS13 wrote:
Fri 05 Sep, 2014 7:50 pm
There was an article on the Green Post in YEP a few weeks ago following the retirement of one of the old 'sellers'. Apparently they had a mobile printing press in a van at Elland Road and used to knock them out from there. Still no idea how they collated all the results so quickly though!
I recall buying a copy from the van after a game and reading all but the late kick off results and even having a report of the Leeds United home game that I had just watched! You could sometimes even watch the paper being printed in the van!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.