public houses

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

salt 'n pepper wrote: zip55 wrote: stutterdog wrote: Thanks jd, yes,there were many like us it seems but my question was not answered. Was the White Swan pub previously the Picaddilly Bar? Anyone ? The White Swan has always been there. The Piccadilly Bar was just a part of it (maybe all of it). Entrance from the laneway or down the stairs at the side of the City Varieties on the Headrow. Although it was always known in my - dare I say our - time as the Piccadilly Bar, I think zip55 is correct in saying 'just a part of it'.Certainly when we started going there in the late sixties, there were two entry doors from Swan Street into the pub. As far as I can remember, the windows above these doors were clearly marked. One said 'Piccadilly Bar' and the other said 'American Bar'. But it was always known as the Piccadilly.Anyone else with a similar recollection?     I seem to recall the entrance in Swan Street closest to Briggate was the original stage-door. You went down a couple of steps and turned left into the Piccadilly Bar.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

zip55

Post by zip55 »

yorkiesknob wrote: Geoff, that's exactly my route in the very early 70s plus The Peel. The Central drink of choice Double Diamond,but then you didn't go there for it choice or quality of its ale. I seem to recall the Mecca (Merrion Centre) also sold DD as its premier beer. Didn't mind it actually, bit of a licorice-y aftertaste.    

jan8

Post by jan8 »

Johnny39 wrote: salt 'n pepper wrote: zip55 wrote: stutterdog wrote: Thanks jd, yes,there were many like us it seems but my question was not answered. Was the White Swan pub previously the Picaddilly Bar? Anyone ? The White Swan has always been there. The Piccadilly Bar was just a part of it (maybe all of it). Entrance from the laneway or down the stairs at the side of the City Varieties on the Headrow. Although it was always known in my - dare I say our - time as the Piccadilly Bar, I think zip55 is correct in saying 'just a part of it'.Certainly when we started going there in the late sixties, there were two entry doors from Swan Street into the pub. As far as I can remember, the windows above these doors were clearly marked. One said 'Piccadilly Bar' and the other said 'American Bar'. But it was always known as the Piccadilly.Anyone else with a similar recollection?     I seem to recall the entrance in Swan Street closest to Briggate was the original stage-door. You went down a couple of steps and turned left into the Piccadilly Bar. It was the Piccadilly in my day (early 70's) and I seem to remember you could get in through the back and in through the front past the ticket office for the City Varieties.
Yorkshire born & bred. All opinions are my own !

Caron

Post by Caron »

stutterdog wrote: Couldn't get on the old thread of this name as the quote prompt was missing!Yesterday my wife and me thought we'd have a walk up the alley off Briggate leading up the back of the City Varieties. I don't think we've been up there for years but my memory says that in the 60's the White Swan pub there, was called the Piccadilly Bar. I can remember back then our little gang of lads would have a drink in as many pubs as possible and finishing up in the Yorkshire Hussar about 9pm. We would then head off for the Mecca about 9.50pm to get there just before 10pm as Savile wouldn't let you in after 10! He stood on the top step eyeing us up to see if we were in our cups! We generally were but he never said anything! Good days and nights! Hi stutterdog. What does, "in our cups" mean and where does the saying come from? I've never heard it before. Cheers.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Caron wrote: stutterdog wrote: Couldn't get on the old thread of this name as the quote prompt was missing!Yesterday my wife and me thought we'd have a walk up the alley off Briggate leading up the back of the City Varieties. I don't think we've been up there for years but my memory says that in the 60's the White Swan pub there, was called the Piccadilly Bar. I can remember back then our little gang of lads would have a drink in as many pubs as possible and finishing up in the Yorkshire Hussar about 9pm. We would then head off for the Mecca about 9.50pm to get there just before 10pm as Savile wouldn't let you in after 10! He stood on the top step eyeing us up to see if we were in our cups! We generally were but he never said anything! Good days and nights! Hi stutterdog. What does, "in our cups" mean and where does the saying come from? I've never heard it before. Cheers. Hi Caron, In his/our cups. I think it's an old medieval phrase that means drunk! I prefer to use it instead of    
ex-Armley lad

Caron

Post by Caron »

Thanks stutterdog. Strange expression