Where is this 1890 dated drainpipe?

How well do you know Leeds?
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I took this photo of this 1890 dated drainpipe on August 2 2013. It is one of 3 such dated pipes on a building in the centre of Leeds.It was not until I downloaded the original non-reduced photo that I spotted the other interesting details on the pipes. I wonder if the pipes really are 123 years old and well preserved, or if they are modern replicas (I did not feel them to see what they are made of). Edit added later on August 3 2013. Looking at the pipes in a wider field-of-view photo and in the close-up photo there does not seem to be any obvious drain in and out for the pipes (unless well hidden) so I wonder if they may once have been drainpipes but are now just decorative features?
Attachments
005R.jpg
005R.jpg (81.88 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

No responses yet so I wonder if that is because it is hard, or so easy that nobody wants to give even a cryptic clue!

EYRIE

Post by EYRIE »

Leeds New Workhouse? Now the Thackray Museum at St. James's Hospital?
People who think they know everything are a great source of annoyance to those of us who do

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

EYRIE wrote: Leeds New Workhouse? Now the Thackray Museum at St. James's Hospital? Hi EYRIE. That's sounds a good suggestion, but they are not there. They are in LS1. The date can be made out on the pipes in a Google Street View on enlarging the view (that's not cryptic). The Thackray Museum is one of those places that I've never been to but keep meaning to go one day.

EYRIE

Post by EYRIE »

Aha! I will have another try then. The design is an interesting one and I had a close look to see if I could get a clue to thre building's use.
People who think they know everything are a great source of annoyance to those of us who do

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This W&W seems so far to be a mystery. As was 'The Sign of the Four' with Sherlock Holmes that was published in 1890. I'm not sure if that is too confusingly cryptic, but I could not think of another cryptic clue that did not make it too easy!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Leodian wrote: This W&W seems so far to be a mystery. As was 'The Sign of the Four' with Sherlock Holmes that was published in 1890. I'm not sure if that is too confusingly cryptic, but I could not think of another cryptic clue that did not make it too easy! Passing by the building today I was able to verify that at least the pipe in the photo in my first post does not seem to drain anything and so is now only decorative (as I think are the other 2 pipes). If I said I don't know where the building is I would be being perfidious in saying that!

Mork of Ork

Post by Mork of Ork »

Is it one of the drainpipes above Waterstones on Albion Street?Here - http://goo.gl/maps/XXHr7

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Mork of Ork wrote: Is it one of the drainpipes above Waterstones on Albion Street?Here - http://goo.gl/maps/XXHr7 Hi Mork of Ork. Nanu Nanu to you. Yes the 'drainpipes' are on the Waterstone's bookshop on Albion Street, as in this photo that I took on August 2 2013.In case anyone is wondering about my cryptic clues:-1) 'The Sign of the Four' is a book (hence a bookshop!).2) The perfidious was meant (hoped!) to bring Perfidious Albion to mind (hence Albion Street, rather than Albion Place).Phew, I'm glad this W&W has finally been solved.     
Attachments
006R.jpg
006R.jpg (118.43 KiB) Viewed 3219 times

EYRIE

Post by EYRIE »

More of Ork I can now sleep ! This one has been bugging me!