Old Restaurants

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

stutterdog wrote: Loiner in Cyprus wrote: I remember going to a Chinese restaurant in about 1963 near the Wrens pub with my mates. It was called something like the Golden Ball. I think we all used to have Beef Chow Mien. But I definitely remember having loads of Tetleys first. Was that when Tetley's tasted nice? It sure did

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

My dad's job as an accountant meant that he often worked in Leeds city centre in the 1960s and 70s.He used to have lunch in a restaurant called Darrells (I've no idea as to the correct spelling, it could have been Daryls, Darrils, whatever).My mum took me into town once to meet my dad for lunch there, I think it will have been early 1970s.All I can remember is that I had steak pie and chips, and that the Town Hall dome was visible through the window. I'm also fairly certain that the dining room was on the first floor or higher of the building.Can anybody tell me where the restaurant was?
The older I get, the better I was.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Bruno wrote: My dad's job as an accountant meant that he often worked in Leeds city centre in the 1960s and 70s.He used to have lunch in a restaurant called Darrells (I've no idea as to the correct spelling, it could have been Daryls, Darrils, whatever).My mum took me into town once to meet my dad for lunch there, I think it will have been early 1970s.All I can remember is that I had steak pie and chips, and that the Town Hall dome was visible through the window. I'm also fairly certain that the dining room was on the first floor or higher of the building.Can anybody tell me where the restaurant was? Darrel's 7 Park Cross Streethttp://goo.gl/maps/Tn8dg    
Attachments
Darrells.png
Darrells.png (20.98 KiB) Viewed 6841 times

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

uncle mick wrote: Bruno wrote: He used to have lunch in a restaurant called Darrells.Can anybody tell me where the restaurant was? Darrel's 7 Park Cross Streethttp://goo.gl/maps/Tn8dg     Thanks Uncle Mick. I wonder, could Number 7 Park Cross St have been on the first floor above The Jubilee pub (on Headrow), but accessed from the rear of that building?
The older I get, the better I was.

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

I half remember a cafe somewhere further down the street, much further behind the Jubilee.

ShaneSwimmer

Re: Demi's Fish Bar

Post by ShaneSwimmer »

Misc wrote:There used to be a place opposite the bus stops on Boar Lane (by British Home Stores), I think it was called Demis Fish Bar. Nobody seems to remember it but me...as a kid I thought it was owned by Demis Roussos and used to ask my nan if we could go!
I was at Leeds Poly 1987-1991 and in my final year worked part time in Demi's Fish Bar. Early evening it was ok but come 2am when the clubs chucked out the place would be heaving with drunks. Most of the time it was good natured banter. He also put his prices up at midnight which I've never seen before.When we finished work we'd take home the food that hadn't been sold. And my housemates would be waiting up for me!! Great days.

Bugblatter

Re: Old Restaurants

Post by Bugblatter »

Trying to remember the name of a Chinese restaurant I went to a few times in the late 70s on New Briggate which was on the top floor of the building opposite Klas Olsen (side entrance to Lewis's back then).

Edit. Found it: http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 9_58930606
Leeds born and bred

Keg

Re: Old Restaurants

Post by Keg »

Bugblatter wrote:Trying to remember the name of a Chinese restaurant I went to a few times in the late 70s on New Briggate which was on the top floor of the building opposite Klas Olsen (side entrance to Lewis's back then).

Edit. Found it: http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 9_58930606
The Jumbo? or was that a curry house?
Keg

j.c.d.

Re:

Post by j.c.d. »

Loiner in Cyprus wrote:stutterdog wrote: Loiner in Cyprus wrote: I remember going to a Chinese restaurant in about 1963 near the Wrens pub with my mates. It was called something like the Golden Ball. I think we all used to have Beef Chow Mien. But I definitely remember having loads of Tetleys first. Was that when Tetley's tasted nice? It sure did

Just seen this above....
. We used to go to Mang Fangs Chinese Restaurant on Cross Belgrave St on past the Wrens Pub this was in the late 1950s, would this be the first in Leeds ?.

Loiner in Cyprus

Re: Re:

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

j.c.d. wrote:
Loiner in Cyprus wrote:stutterdog wrote: Loiner in Cyprus wrote: I remember going to a Chinese restaurant in about 1963 near the Wrens pub with my mates. It was called something like the Golden Ball. I think we all used to have Beef Chow Mien. But I definitely remember having loads of Tetleys first. Was that when Tetley's tasted nice? It sure did

Just seen this above....
. We used to go to Mang Fangs Chinese Restaurant on Cross Belgrave St on past the Wrens Pub this was in the late 1950s, would this be the first in Leeds ?.
I have just had a look at a street map to see where Cross Belgrave St is, I'm sure it is the same restaurant. I have obviously not remembered the correct name. Incidently, I visited Leeds City Centre this weekend for the first time since the 80s except for visiting the LGI via the Inner Ring Road once earlier this year. Boy have things changed. Sat nav brought me in from the South. I recognised names but not the places; Cross Green, Pontefract Lane, Meadow Lane etc. We stayed at the Premier Inn where Fairburn Lawson used to be. We walked around the city centre. All pedestrian precincts. What really impressed me was how clean everywhere looked. A pity about the cricket result, but the rugby was good. Apologises for going off topic