Old Restaurants

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Si wrote: I hope it was a steak diane, Tasa! Washed down with a bottle of Mateus Rose!!! In the 60s/70s, our family used to go to Tiberio's on Galloway Lane in Pudsey. It was owned by a bloke called Ivano, and had a huge menu (variety of dishes, not shear size.)A favourite meal would be canneloni followed by Chicken Cordon Bleu (chicken breast stuffed with ham and cheese and deep-fried in breadcrumbs - coronary on a plate) followed by Neapolitan ice-cream. I couldn't eat that much now.I think Tiberio's is still going. Anyone know for sure?     Used to go regularly late 80's/90's.........best fillet steak for miles and the mussel starter was heaven on a plate.....!
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Nostalgia kicking in again........back in the 80's there were a couple of places I'd use for entertaining the ladies ! Namely "Strawberry Affair" and "Bistro Fiori".....both close together in the city centre.Like many of their ilk though,they eventually "had their day" and closed but it was good while it lasted.I seemed to have more disposable income back then too !

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

somme1916 wrote: Si wrote: I hope it was a steak diane, Tasa! Washed down with a bottle of Mateus Rose!!! In the 60s/70s, our family used to go to Tiberio's on Galloway Lane in Pudsey. It was owned by a bloke called Ivano, and had a huge menu (variety of dishes, not shear size.)A favourite meal would be canneloni followed by Chicken Cordon Bleu (chicken breast stuffed with ham and cheese and deep-fried in breadcrumbs - coronary on a plate) followed by Neapolitan ice-cream. I couldn't eat that much now.I think Tiberio's is still going. Anyone know for sure?     Used to go regularly late 80's/90's.........best fillet steak for miles and the mussel starter was heaven on a plate.....! Tiberio changed management about 8-9 yrs ago as the owner retired.The chef who worked there then opened 118 The Arch nr Stanningley btm,on Richardshaw Ln. The food at Tiberio's was great and your right about the steaks!
ex-Armley lad

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

stutterdog wrote: somme1916 wrote: Si wrote: I hope it was a steak diane, Tasa! Washed down with a bottle of Mateus Rose!!! In the 60s/70s, our family used to go to Tiberio's on Galloway Lane in Pudsey. It was owned by a bloke called Ivano, and had a huge menu (variety of dishes, not shear size.)A favourite meal would be canneloni followed by Chicken Cordon Bleu (chicken breast stuffed with ham and cheese and deep-fried in breadcrumbs - coronary on a plate) followed by Neapolitan ice-cream. I couldn't eat that much now.I think Tiberio's is still going. Anyone know for sure?     Used to go regularly late 80's/90's.........best fillet steak for miles and the mussel starter was heaven on a plate.....! Tiberio changed management about 8-9 yrs ago as the owner retired.The chef who worked there then opened 118 The Arch nr Stanningley btm,on Richardshaw Ln. The food at Tiberio's was great and your right about the steaks! IIRC stutterdog-he was quite an unassuming chap-large build,dark hair,very smartly dressed and a tash ? Very friendly however and we were always treated very well.We only went lunchtimes and I think there was only the chef and himself on duty(occasionally a waitress who may have been the missus ???).In any event,never had a bad meal there in all the times we went.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

As a small child I can just recall being in a Chinese Rest't which I think was on Boar Lane (60's?).Recall the bamboo steamer/serving containers and also that there were a lot of Chinese folks eating in there too. Don't recall the occassion but that was dining out 'that year'.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Jogon wrote: As a small child I can just recall being in a Chinese Rest't which I think was on Boar Lane (60's?).Recall the bamboo steamer/serving containers and also that there were a lot of Chinese folks eating in there too. Don't recall the occassion but that was dining out 'that year'. Yes I remember that one but can't think of its name. Remember Kee Hong on Wellington St? May have been the first Chinese to open in Leeds. There was one on Briggate too called Hao Wah! Both long gone now.
ex-Armley lad

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Used to go to a Chinese in Templar Street, "Min Sin", not a joke. One near the Wren's pub, "Man Fang" this was in the late 50's. I remember one called the "Peony" but can't recall where it was exactly.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

uncle mick wrote: Kee Hong 55a Boar Lane http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... Y=FULLEdit - Peony was on Commercial Streethttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIde ... SPLAY=FULL     I should have known the "Peony" u.m. I worked on Commercial Street. Ta!
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

uncle mick wrote: Kee Hong 55a Boar Lane http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... Y=FULLEdit - Peony was on Commercial Streethttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIde ... FULLThanks for that Uncle mick,seems I've got my Kee Hong mixed up with another name on Wellington St. Hao Wah was on Commercial st as you say. It's a long time ago and my memory is not what it was! There was another nice resteraunt on Upper Briggate called Le Carousel I think.The food there was quite good in the 60's!    
ex-Armley lad