Through by light on Rosebank

Places to explore
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

9415th November 1967 On the left of the image are four terraced houses of five stories creating split level residences due to height differences between Rosebank View and Rosebank Road. The lower floors form four blind back terraced houses on Rosebank View numbered 17 to 23. On the right is an embankment with brick buttress supports demonstrating the height differences between the two roads.9915th November 1967 On the left is an embankment with brick buttress supports demonstrating the height difference between Rosebank Road at the top and Rosebank View at the bottom. On the right are numbers 29 and 31 Rosebank View, two blind back terraces with a shared outside toilet block on the far right. A woman hangs out washing on lines stretched across the street. Above numbers 29 and 31 can be seen the rear of a large through by light residence on Rosebank Row numbered 1.Looking up at Rosebank from Rillbank Stnow, up to Rosebank from Rillbankhttp://goo.gl/maps/iiHDtdown from Rosebankhttp://goo.gl/maps/LrLQt

The Parksider

Re: Through by light on Rosebank

Post by The Parksider »

My word, it's been years since we looked back at Rosebank and the old houses on the steep hill

Having looked at this again on here and on leodis I have worked out that the three larger butresses in the two 1967 pictures appear to be later additions to the wall. In the leodis pictures is an earlier shot of the street(Rosebank view no's 25 & 27) where a four story building was situated where the three butresses are and the 1944 pictures are taken I think because the building collapsed. Possibly bomb damage, however the building looks to be undamaged with the only signs of a problem being large wooden props..

In sorting out the issue two brick buildings have been built in the road for what purpose I dunno

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... ifier=5780

Any builders suggest the problem and purpose of the small brick buildings?

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

I think this is what happened
Attachments
ROSEBANK PLAN.jpg
ROSEBANK PLAN.jpg (86.44 KiB) Viewed 17818 times

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Just seen this mate, many thanks.

Bomb damage to a few houses in the area (see Leodis)

Am working on a few illustrations ("cut aways") of how they fitted the houses in at the steepest points

I think it was the case many of these houses had cellars as well, at the point of no 17 - 23 rosebank view there are five storeys and a cellar for the houses on Rosebank view. The cellar for the Rosebank road houses appears to be three floors up from Rosebank view!!!

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

warringtonrhino wrote:
Sun 24 Mar, 2019 11:02 pm
I think this is what happened
Many thanks......

I've sorted out a casual study of Rosebank and organised some fine illustrations so I owe
you a copy.

Time just flies so I'll try to (re)find your contact details but by all means contact me......

Would encourage anyone to go to Rosebank there's a board with the history and the centrepiece of the Rillbank steps is still there.

My latest fascination is Thorpe Stapleton and it's heavy connection with the iron industry,

Knowsthorpe and Thorpe Stapleton seem to be a bit "out of bounds" but godammit I pay my rates so I look forward to hoofing it round there...

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

The Parksider wrote:
Sun 24 Mar, 2019 4:36 pm
my bad, these are air raid shelters............

The germans flew up the aire valley to bomb industry but of course workers were housed close by....

My grandad had a house on Belmont Grove and a piece of shrapnel smashed through the study window.....

He had it mounted as a souvineer

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

The Parksider wrote:
Fri 26 Jul, 2019 10:45 pm
The Parksider wrote:
Sun 24 Mar, 2019 4:36 pm
my bad, these are air raid shelters............

The germans flew up the aire valley to bomb industry but of course workers were housed close by....

My grandad had a house on Belmont Grove and a piece of shrapnel smashed through the study window.....

He had it mounted as a souvineer

Quite right. There are other examples of simple brick shelters like these with reinforced concrete slab roofs in the SL photo archive. A lot of the shrapnel generated in an air raid was from our own Ack Ack guns- what goes up must come down :)
Other wartime street furniture included large brickbuilt water tanks for use by fire fighters when the mains pressure dropped due to bomb damage or high demand. There were some of these in the Headrow near Lewis's.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!