Where is this carving to be seen in Leeds?

How well do you know Leeds?
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

This photo (which I took on June 4 2013) shows a nice carving on a building in Leeds, but which building? The carving is not that readily seen when walking by so though it may be a familiar building this bit may not be well known. As far as I am aware the carving has not been used as a 'What & Where' before, though the building has. Perhaps some cryptic clues for a while from those who know where it is.
Attachments
__TFMF_uwvmf3yn0ewvlq55kccuz5vo_05f5daef-204e-472e-b582-9eedd4b5f387_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_uwvmf3yn0ewvlq55kccuz5vo_05f5daef-204e-472e-b582-9eedd4b5f387_0_main.jpg (98.99 KiB) Viewed 2979 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

I don't know so a cryptic guess. Would it be a "Permanent" place?

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I know that Leo's stomping ground     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

Think that the one around the corner might have been done though.Who said 'Go west, young man'?Anyway, if he did he would be around 270 degrees out. Anti-clockwise that is.

Caron

Post by Caron »

Leo, I don't know how you managed to take the photo at that angle? I feel sick and dizzy just looking at it! Can I just add that the clues are of no help to me at all, (no surprise there), except maybe the building is/was a bank??

LS1

Post by LS1 »

I feel like it may be being dispensed with, but no hearing any more?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Cheers all.The figures are over a doorway on the North Street side of what used to be the Dispensary and later used as a meeting place for the deaf, though it was (may still be) up for sale. Note that this is not the older nearby Dispensary that became a chest clinic and is now a Richer Sounds store. I know that is a listed building but I don't know if the Dispensary building of this thread is listed.Geordie-exile. I would guess your "Permanent" is a cryptic clue to the old Leeds Permanent Building Society Building (now part of The Light complex). That being so I can see why you could think so, as the brickwork in the Dispensary does have a resemblance. salt 'n pepper. The one around the corner may be the figures over a doorway on the Hartley Hill side of the Dispensary that I have previously used in a SL thread. I must admit though that your cryptic clue has me beat! Caron. The figures look down so are hard to photograph in a straight front view, which is why I had to almost break my back in taking the shot at the angle I did. The length we will go to eh to get a photo for an SL thread! LS1. Great cryptic clue. I like it.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

johnnyg

Post by johnnyg »

The building is known as Centenary House, built in 1904 and it is a Grade II listed building. The sale details and a brochure can be seen at: http://www.estatesgazette.com/propertyl ... 410834.htm

LS1

Post by LS1 »

If every user on here gave £146, it could easily be purchased as an SL HQ, with some change left!