Town pubs of the late 70's/early 80's

Old, disused, forgotten and converted pubs
Geordi

Post by Geordi »

Yeah, I forgot about that. It was the Cambrian then.I remember if you stood about 5 feet from the bar and jumped up and down you could get the record to jump. It was a god send when they played som crap!!!I was there from 87 till close.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

LS1 wrote: I've heard talk of a place called Cinderella Rockerfellas that was in Leeds at one point, but was before my time. Does anyone know anything about it, I thinkit is where stick and twist is now opposite the Merrion centre... Probably the first big club in Leeds, owned by the stringfellow brothers. benind the Merrion Centre. It had two entrances, Cinderellas on the left and Rockerfellas, slightly more subdued and 'older' on the right.Which one you went to depended really on the kind of night you wanted. If the bouncers wouldn't let you in one, you could usually get in the other - and then move freely between the two once inside!Have some very fond memories of that place - not to mention the people I went with, if you know what I mean!

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

Geordi wrote: Yeah, I forgot about that. It was the Cambrian then.I remember if you stood about 5 feet from the bar and jumped up and down you could get the record to jump. It was a god send when they played som crap!!!I was there from 87 till close. The problem with it moving to the Cambrian was, it was miles out of town and there were no regular buses. More than once I was the only one there... I still have pictures of the New Year's Eve session we had there. It was never as good as the original fleapit though.Did anyone here go on the Scrumpies Beach Party coach trip to Brid? Or the Sunday afternoon excursions to Ilkley?

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

Kaiya wrote: Clankylad wrote: I’m a Scrumpies veteran too. I remember seeing the Macc Lads there, and also Zodiac Mindwarp. Scrumpies and the Frog and Toad in Bradford, with me perm, bullet belt and Twisted Sister T-shirt. Those were the days… You have to be one of the people that converged with us since the Frog used to be a regular haunt for us along with Scrumpies.Can you also remember, Acid reign used to be regulars at Scrumpies before they became famous. And the Blue Angels bikers used to pop in from time to time.And can anyone remember "Mad Mick" and "Big Tony"?? I still run into Mad Mick every now and then; he's a bit greyer but looks more or less the same. I think he lives somewhere near me, in Middleton. Acid Reign were still Scrumpies regulars WHILE they were famous. Actually, I seem to recall Mad Mick decking H one night for something or other. I remember the words "You can't hit me, I'm in Acid Reign" floating across the room, closely followed by H himself...I still mourn the Frog & Toad. Bradford was rubbish after that got knocked down. Its replacement club Shades was like somebody's house, although it did at least sell Thunderbird over the bar.

Geordi

Post by Geordi »

LeeRatbag wrote: Did anyone here go on the Scrumpies Beach Party coach trip to Brid? Or the Sunday afternoon excursions to Ilkley? OH yeah I have one or two scary photo's from those times.One with a Lee with a burst football as a hat!!!

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

Geordi wrote: LeeRatbag wrote: Did anyone here go on the Scrumpies Beach Party coach trip to Brid? Or the Sunday afternoon excursions to Ilkley? OH yeah I have one or two scary photo's from those times.One with a Lee with a burst football as a hat!!! Oh aye, I remember that. It's amazing that football lasted as long as it did, to be fair. I still have some dodgy pix of you at Ilkley too, bud...!

Geordi

Post by Geordi »

LeeRatbag wrote: Oh aye, I remember that. It's amazing that football lasted as long as it did, to be fair. I still have some dodgy pix of you at Ilkley too, bud...! Oh managed to find one!!Sure I can see somebody hiding in a tree!!

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

raveydavey wrote: I remember Harlequins was ideally placed for the bus stop so became the first watering hole in town (isn't that the one that became the Piano Bar next to the Queen Hotel entrance).Stumps was a much loved and vastly under-rated pub. I can remember watching Frank Bruno win his title in there and playing bar billiards (badly) on long summer afternoons yeah - Frank was rubbish at bar billiards!
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

LeeRatbag

Post by LeeRatbag »

Geordi wrote: LeeRatbag wrote: Oh aye, I remember that. It's amazing that football lasted as long as it did, to be fair. I still have some dodgy pix of you at Ilkley too, bud...! Oh managed to find one!!Sure I can see somebody hiding in a tree!! Why didn't anybody ever tell me that perm was a crap idea?

Clankylad

Post by Clankylad »

LeeRatbag wrote: Kaiya wrote: Clankylad wrote: I’m a Scrumpies veteran too. I remember seeing the Macc Lads there, and also Zodiac Mindwarp. Scrumpies and the Frog and Toad in Bradford, with me perm, bullet belt and Twisted Sister T-shirt. Those were the days… You have to be one of the people that converged with us since the Frog used to be a regular haunt for us along with Scrumpies.Can you also remember, Acid reign used to be regulars at Scrumpies before they became famous. And the Blue Angels bikers used to pop in from time to time.And can anyone remember "Mad Mick" and "Big Tony"?? I still run into Mad Mick every now and then; he's a bit greyer but looks more or less the same. I think he lives somewhere near me, in Middleton. Acid Reign were still Scrumpies regulars WHILE they were famous. Actually, I seem to recall Mad Mick decking H one night for something or other. I remember the words "You can't hit me, I'm in Acid Reign" floating across the room, closely followed by H himself...I still mourn the Frog & Toad. Bradford was rubbish after that got knocked down. Its replacement club Shades was like somebody's house, although it did at least sell Thunderbird over the bar. Came across this item the other day...
Attachments
__TFMF_midylhvyendelb45axyrarzi_d802ea5f-f7ce-4808-88bf-0ee8ee947b3f_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_midylhvyendelb45axyrarzi_d802ea5f-f7ce-4808-88bf-0ee8ee947b3f_0_main.jpg (204.67 KiB) Viewed 3071 times
"This is the North. We do what we like."