Long shot re: Childrens days

Explore your roots & tell us your family's history!
York Road Lad

Post by York Road Lad »

If anyone's interested, the crown awarded to the 'Children's Day Queen' is on display in a cabinet in the Civic Hall just outside the Banqueting Chamber. This area doesn't have open public access - perhaps it should be in the Leeds Section of the museum.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Patexpat

Post by Patexpat »

Thanks Tasa - I will try and get my hands on a copy!

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Tasa wrote: I know this is an old thread, but for anyone still interested in memories of Leeds Children's Day, I was in St Bartholomew's Church in Armley yesterday and noticed that at their sales counter they have a pile of books about Leeds Children's Day, published in 1995 and written by (I think) John Thorp. They are on sale for £1 each.The church is not normally open apart from Sunday services and special events, but is open this week as part of the Treasures Revealed event.I'm sure they would send one by mail order. Their general enquiries email address is bartsarmley@hotmail.co.uk They take their time in answering emails!
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

ChrismWith the dawn of the internet direct line 25/7 citizens rights, it's just not good enough.I'd like to moot a dedicated helpline for your (and my) calls.Part time unpaid volunteers turning up when 'key-holder access' allows.Meks me sick. Case point}One time there was an organ recital set for months and our 2nd born was ill:- they didn't even have the courtesy to cancel and confirm a new fixture to suite me.I've a good mind to... turn up at the forthcoming May 2013 recitalTASA - whensit?

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Chrism: Very sorry that you haven't had a response to your email - I've contacted someone there (on a different email address!) and hopefully you will get a response soon.Jogon: at the risk of advertising, the next recital is on Spring Bank Holiday Monday, 27th May, at 11.00am. The programme will include an organ transcription of Mussorgsky's Pictures from an Exhibition and I can personally vouch for the talent of the organist (no, it's not me!). The Great Gate of Kiev will sound spectacular on that organ     

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Patexpat wrote: Yes Samson, that was without doubt the same childrens day I was page boy - it rained so much that all the official stuff was hurriedly transferred to the Mansion House and the day came to a very damp halt very quickly .... and I seem to remember my mams new outfit being ruined! Are you sure it wasn't Printers Sports Day at Roundhay? The same thing happened on that day too! A huge cloudburst caught everyone out and the crowds all ran for the buse and any cover they could find!
ex-Armley lad

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Tasa wrote: Chrism: Very sorry that you haven't had a response to your email - I've contacted someone there (on a different email address!) and hopefully you will get a response soon.     Thank you x

ARGIE

Post by ARGIE »

I think I've got the Children's Day DVD from the Yorkshire Evening Post somewhere around. I couldn't tell you anything specific about who is or isn't on it but I'm happy to send you it if you like.I'd rather not give my email address out on a public forum (as much as I obviously trust the SecretLeeds'ers!) because it has my full name on, but if you can personal message me your address if interested then great. If you're not bothered for it, no problem at all.(if you need somebody to vouch for me then perhaps ask Phill_D which newspaper printed his railaway line photos and what the journo's name was. I am said journo and my first initial is "T")

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

ARGIE wrote: I think I've got the Children's Day DVD from the Yorkshire Evening Post somewhere around. I couldn't tell you anything specific about who is or isn't on it but I'm happy to send you it if you like.I'd rather not give my email address out on a public forum (as much as I obviously trust the SecretLeeds'ers!) because it has my full name on, but if you can personal message me your address if interested then great. If you're not bothered for it, no problem at all.(if you need somebody to vouch for me then perhaps ask Phill_D which newspaper printed his railaway line photos and what the journo's name was. I am said journo and my first initial is "T") Hi "T".....Has your Dad seen the DVD?..."M" played a major part many years ago AND as Michael Cain might have said "Not a lot of people know that"
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Chrism wrote: Tasa wrote: Chrism: Very sorry that you haven't had a response to your email - I've contacted someone there (on a different email address!) and hopefully you will get a response soon.     Thank you x Still haven't heard anything back from them.