Why & When? Drainage, water streams

How well do you know Leeds?
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Over the years I've pondered the Roundhay Park Tennis Courts.http://goo.gl/maps/2PnZKto their left/W they're pretty level to OP Rd.think there's a footpath at top/Nbut certainly at right/E & bottom/S edges there seems to be an almost 'moated' earth bank cut down and/or the tennis court structure built up.I'm assuming some sort of stream/drain but couldn't find anything.Linked this do the canal gardens have a natural spring?

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

open and culverted watercourses
Attachments
__TFMF_3s2raq45wcmdhaeyaedoa0jk_985ec245-263a-4fc6-afa4-e9dbb7873d56_0_main.png
__TFMF_3s2raq45wcmdhaeyaedoa0jk_985ec245-263a-4fc6-afa4-e9dbb7873d56_0_main.png (22.52 KiB) Viewed 3704 times

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

I've seen it before when looking at the old Electric tram box nearby.There are a few small streams around there, I noticed one in someones garden when I did the post on that walk. You can see it on the map. I would think the source of those small streams comes from the Great Head beck which we do know flows into Waterloo lake.It's marked off on the map heading towards Foxwood, but there isn't any trace of it further towards the Ring Road. It will have been culverted over the years, starting in the Victorian era when the big houses went up.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Thanks guys53 years of deep thought resolved..I'll leave this a few days then close.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Jogon wrote: Thanks guys53 years of deep thought resolved..I'll leave this a few days then close. Don't go in search of musket balls next
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Indeed I'm all meanwooded out after mills. In woodland.

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

As shown by Cardi. the stream south of the tennis courts, is connected to the sewerage system, and I believe it is used as an overflow during periods of heavy rain.It quite often smells like a sewer too.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Connected where? Should't be. Blue is surface water only, red is foul. If you think there's a sewer discharge or problem call the contact centre and they'll investigate.    

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

I know it should be surface water, but I was informed a long time ago that in periods of heavy rain, the sewers can overflow into this system.I had a look today, and there appears to be evidence of this happening.This is the outfall/infall at the jnc. of Old Park Rd. and Lidgett Park Rd.And just a few feet downstream, a mass of what appear to be some sort of material, disposable nappies/wipes?I often go past this point on the road, and it certainly smells like sewage.http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=43 ... =Y&Z=106If you need larger pics, let me know.    

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Thanks, I'll pass that on. A discharge from the sewer to a water course through an overflow (CsO) has to be registered and regulated by the Environment Agency. THere's none marked there. One big problem is when property redevelopment connects a new extension etc into the surface water rather than the foul sewer.