Statue of who? Where? When? Current google streetview, current location of statue if known

How well do you know Leeds?
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Leo well spotted. That's good quality high detail map, is it subscriber only?Buffalo thanks, I've passed him often enough but never knew who the statue was. Leeds seems to bung retired statues up to Hyde Park.Was searching google images "odeon merrion + leodis" to try and find Blakey's bus route thru the merrion before they put a roof on and built Morrisons. Think a few (unclem) had too, hence search hits.Think there's a view of it on Pathe News' Leeds Murder of Jeweller Albion Street in the 1940's but their site seems not to work.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Hiya JogonI just enlarged a map in the Old-Map UK website and then selected that part which I then copied and saved as a jpg file.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Bruno

Post by Bruno »

Looking at the car in the original photograph - the car which appears to be in the middle of the road approaching the statue from the far side; is the building behind it (that is, the building which in the picture appears to be directly over the car's roof) Red Hall, reputedly the first brick structure in Leeds?
The older I get, the better I was.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Don't think so, I think the view is looking East down Kelsall street, not South towards the later Schofield's site.