Feature - March 2007, Leeds Town Hall

The secret side of one of the most iconic buildings in Leeds.
munki

Post by munki »

There may be Clocktower tours of coming soon... Check www.lightnight.co.uk around mid-August to find out more!
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

munki wrote: Into the Bridewell. In operation as holding cells for the courts right up until 1993.There must be those amonst you who have memories of being down here... for professional reasons like Eric has, or for the wrong reasons. Time to tell your stories on Secret Leeds.Eric tells us 'The "Fed Up Bench" used to be against the wall here. As a young copper, you wondered what they meant by that, until you had seen a few prisoners sat chained to it for an hour or so, waiting to go up the stairs before the judge.'. i remember coming round from a drunken stupor in the cells,what struck me was all the dripping butties stuck to the ceiling.they were there in greater numbers the next time i was,shall we say-slightly merry!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

that was amazing mate,a truly great insight into one of the COUNTRIES most iconic buildings,never mind the city.cheers old boy!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

MsJ2uk

Post by MsJ2uk »

,Hi,this is my 1st post on this forum.The Leeds Town Hall is 'fantastic'.I have been on the tour around the building a few years ago.I've witnessed the story and followed the period costume reinactment of Charlie Peace.From the courtroom,down and into the Bridewell under the front steps.I have also been on the Clock Tower tour twice.Once during the day,1 o'clock.And once in the evening,for the bell to strike 10 o'clock.I will upload photos soon.,     Post    
To the Skeptic, no proof is possible.To the Believer, no proof is necessary.

Si

Post by Si »

Why are police cells called Bridewells? Apologies if this is general knowledge!

simonm

Post by simonm »

Si wrote: Why are police cells called Bridewells? Apologies if this is general knowledge! Seems it originates from a place in London.. Here, take a look.http://encyclopedia.jrank.org/BOS_BRI/BRIDEWELL.html
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Si

Post by Si »

That must be it, Simon. I thought it might be something like that, as I read that the original "clink" (similar establishment!) was on a Clink Street in London.ThanksSi

MsJ2uk

Post by MsJ2uk »

,Thats right. The main holding cells for the city (not just Leeds) is known as bridewell,     Post    

MsJ2uk

Post by MsJ2uk »

,The stairs to the clock tower change direction because the original building didnt have a clock. It was added just before the arrival of Queen Victoria. The sketch she'd seen of the Town Hall had 1. I dont think it was quite finished when she did visit.,     Post    

stevief

Post by stevief »

Si wrote: Why are police cells called Bridewells? Apologies if this is general knowledge! While we've got a question and answer thing going-Why are police vans called 'Black Marias'