Coffee Bars in the 60's

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

trophy wrote: i .used to goto squires coffee bar at sherburn a rockers haunt in the sixties .its still going but in larger premises.there was the carousel at rodley and one at farsley which i cant remember the name of. The Carousel at Rodley survived for many years - I remember going past after having lived away for some time, and being surprised to see it still there.There was another coffee bar which my school contemporaries (Pudsey Grammar) used to consider very trendy. It was sort of behind the Wrens Hotel on a street which left Upper Briggate at an angle. The block it was in is still there, but no coffee bar now. Can't remember its name. Went in once, but no-one there I knew.Closer to school was Miriam's, in Robin Lane, Pudsey. Handy for passing on time while waiting for the Ledgard bus to Calverley. Jukebox was 3d a go, or 5 for a shilling. What didn't seem incongruous at the time was that it was very close to the premises of one Job Ross, tripe-dresser.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

LS13 wrote: trophy wrote: i .used to goto squires coffee bar at sherburn a rockers haunt in the sixties .its still going but in larger premises.there was the carousel at rodley and one at farsley which i cant remember the name of. Where in Rodley was the Carousel? \19643 Rodley Lane        

ellamforengland

Post by ellamforengland »

The Carousel was next door to The Owl pub (after the public toilets), last time l wentin was 1973, at that time it was owned by a Canadian guy, l think his name was Joe, had a really good looking daughter called Cindy as well

ellamforengland

Post by ellamforengland »

The coffee bar of my youth was on Stanningley Road, next to where the tool hire shop is now, used to go in 1966, it was owned by Hubert Galloway, the jukebox was brilliant, loads of rock and roll, and occasionally Gilbert would lock the door and turn the music up really loud, learnt jive and bop in there, ahh . .. happy days indeed!

Caron

Post by Caron »

uncle mick wrote: LS13 wrote: trophy wrote: i .used to goto squires coffee bar at sherburn a rockers haunt in the sixties .its still going but in larger premises.there was the carousel at rodley and one at farsley which i cant remember the name of. Where in Rodley was the Carousel? \1964     I often visited the Carousel 6 Town St Horsforth which later became a jewellers then The Outside In. I worked in the Chemist shop next door (number 4) which also became The Outside In. Where has the time gone???    

Compresc

Post by Compresc »

Hi everyone I just discovered this site, so pleased to be here. born in Bramley but raised in Armley, attended Armley Park 1961-1965. I used to frequent the El Toro in the late 60s also the Peel Hotel. Anyone remember Ted who used to own the Peel with his red Ford Galaxie. They where good day's guy's.

book

Post by book »

I can remember the Sherburn milk bar that the bikers used to go to. Also the Paprika coffee bar at Hyde Park in Leeds
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

book wrote: I can remember the Sherburn milk bar that the bikers used to go to. Also the Paprika coffee bar at Hyde Park in Leeds Oh yes, La Paprika! I remember coming back home from holiday and going straight there for a full English breakfast - wonderful!    

book

Post by book »

I was always in awe of the pinball machine players, they could certainly play.
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

Caron

Post by Caron »

Compresc wrote: Hi everyone I just discovered this site, so pleased to be here. born in Bramley but raised in Armley, attended Armley Park 1961-1965. I used to frequent the El Toro in the late 60s also the Peel Hotel. Anyone remember Ted who used to own the Peel with his red Ford Galaxie. They where good day's guy's. Can't help you but welcome to Secret Leeds, Compresc. Lots of interesting facts on this site which I'm still reading my way through.