A very old Establishment down the Skulls head yard (Part 1)

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

As I am on leave today i went into the Leeds Library to return the copy of "More Annals of Leeds" which I had managed to borrow from them.I have looked through it but found no more useful clues regarding the skulls.i took the opportunity of doing a few hours research in their Leeds collection focusing on books on the history of churches in Leeds as well as old histories of Leeds.This did result in me reading an almost 300 year old Ralph Thoresby book on the history of Leeds churches published in 1714 which was wonderful to be able to look at something that old.I also looked at the 19th century Ecclesiastica Leodensis.neither I'm afraid had any information of use.I studied Atkinsons Old Leeds as well without result in case anyone trys to get it out of the library.So yet another series of blanks although a fascinating couple of hours.There appear to be no illustrations of any of the old Leeds chantries showing how they looked which is a pity as i am now sure the skulls came from off the frontage of either St Mary's on Leeds bridge or Clavell's chantry attached to the old vicarage.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Tasa wrote: I found this rare photo of the Crown and Fleece in my local library last night - it's on the front of a book called "Old Leeds Inside and Out" written by Steven Burt - there is no year of publication anywhere on the book! The photo is credited to the Thoresby Society but, again, doesn't give a date. It's the firs time I've posted a photo to this site so I hope it works! Not sure how good the quality will be, but the large pub signs say "Crown and Fleece - Molineaux" and the small sign next to the lamp says "Public Telephone" with an arrow which looks to be pointing into Crown Court. I'm sure we can date the photo by when Towler's occupied the Assembly Rooms and by the clothing worn by the men sitting outside the pub. A similar photo but taken from a slightly different anglehttp://flic.kr/p/dXhqtz This photo can be dated after 1893. In the 1893 Directory William Towler is listed @ 6 Globe Road and at 6 Swinegate. In the 1908 Directory William Towler is in Crown Street    

liits

Post by liits »

Taken from Minksymoo's Wallpaper Scrapbook.As fanciful as the flying saucer, bubble-car and elevated railway may seem, to the left of the cartoon seems to be “the sculls”........

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I like this thread. I doubt there would be many that would have even remotely guessed that, at the time of this message, a thread titled 'A very old Establishment down the Skulls head yard' would have had 2,672 replies and 541,260 views. Great thread that you started Phill on April 3 2008 and that it's still going shows there is still a lot of interest.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Leodian wrote: Great thread that you started Phill on April 3 2008 and that it's still going shows there is still a lot of interest. And the mystery still remains, which unusual for this forum is unprecedented. We usually have all puzzles solved straight away
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I think we might get somewhere if anyone can track down a drawing,etching etc of the old chantries.I'm pretty convinced by now they came off one, but so far I have not located any pictures of any of Leeds Chantry Chapels which is amazing considering how long they lasted!
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I like the newly added skulls related SL banner. If it works this is it (or at least the link to it):-    
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

ApologiesI wasn't attempting to start a new varient on this thread, with my enquiry here; http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... dID=4658It was simply that I'd walked through the passageway & over that car-park, having not done so before, & was simply curious.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

New pictures spotted.... Not sure if it is any use or shows anything new.https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Si

Post by Si »

Great find, Lee. Taken in the 60s I'd guess, so long after the Crown and Fleece closed, but they do show how the now demolished building (to the right of the first pic) abutted the pub, and the entrance to the skulls ginnel leading to Kirkgate. I noticed that the fifth comment on the pictures mentions the skulls.