Calverley Woods

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
DerekJ

Post by DerekJ »

I haven't been there for over 10 years, but, walking from along Thornill Drive from near the Parish Church, the road drops and rises and there was a lodge house on the right. There was a barrier across the road to not allow vehicles beyond the house, but walking on there is a track down to the right, on that corner were several brick buildings from WWII.Keeping left and walking up towards the Clara Drive barrier is where the Firework factory was. As far as I remember there were several separate brick buildinds on the right, and a few bigger ones on the left.The one, (as far as I can remember), that was the seat of the explosion, was either 4th or fifth from the top on the right.I don't know if anyone has actually written about the history of the woods. Ted Garnett would be worth contacting.I think it might be a good project for anyone studying recent history to gain a PhD from Calverley Woods.But they need to get on with it soon. I am sure many of the people that were placed there in WWII did not return home at the end of the war and got jobs locally. I certainly remember Ukraine and Polish kid's names at school around 1960. These father must be around 90+ now and so not going to be around much longer.ttfn

Christoph23

Post by Christoph23 »

Someone thinks the may have found the old stone circle. Can't verify myself though http://northernantiquarian.forumotion.n ... -be-useful

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

I cycled past there yesterday - oppo side of canal on towpath.Anyone know the site of the former "University Boathouse"?

Spackler

Post by Spackler »

Christoph23 wrote: Someone thinks the may have found the old stone circle. Can't verify myself though http://northernantiquarian.forumotion.n ... -be-useful Nice spot Christoph. If you find out anymore keep us posted.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Just been reading this old thread.I am surprised nobody put the carved stone location on it unless it has been destroyed.I was taken to see it by Paul Bennett in the 1990's.it is on top of the cliffs if i recall correct.There was also a wonderful holy well coming out from between the twisted roots of an old tree in a cliff face.I haven't been in the woods since around 2002 when i nearly killed myself sliding on a muddy path toward the cliff face and just managing to grab hold of a tree trunk!
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

correction,it was the Hanging Stone I remembered.A lovely picture here on Leodis:http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... 66although I am sure Paul showed me a small stone but not the one referred to on his website as lost.    

trophy

Post by trophy »

i remember when the firework factory blew up watching ambulances with bells ringing going down towards rodley and fire engines coming up one was from salford !!! a long way to come.

Steve Jones

Re: Calverley Woods

Post by Steve Jones »

I am taking a small group into the woods on Saturday to see what has happened to the well that emerges from the roots of a holly tree(called Rollin Well I think).
anyone been in the woods lately and know of it?

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Steve Jones wrote:I am taking a small group into the woods on Saturday to see what has happened to the well that emerges from the roots of a holly tree(called Rollin Well I think).
anyone been in the woods lately and know of it?
Steve - I think the well you refer to is called Tomlin Well. http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/Mi ... istory.pdf
Attachments
Tomlin Well.png
Tomlin Well.png (48.86 KiB) Viewed 6638 times

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Photo from Calverley Memories on Facebook entitled "Tomlin Well, Then & Now"
Attachments
Calverley Memories.jpeg
Calverley Memories.jpeg (24.82 KiB) Viewed 6622 times
Tomlin Well.png 1.jpg
Tomlin Well.png 1.jpg (31.76 KiB) Viewed 6627 times