Leeds First White Cloth Hall: public consulted on revamp

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
LS1

Post by LS1 »

somme1916 wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: Tasa wrote: , I can't see anything which (in my inexpert opinion) could be saved in an original (or even close to original) condition. The whole site is open to the elements and since the collapse/demolition (call it what you will), there isn't even a roof to protect it.     The Luftwaffe would have been really proud of that little sortie, and L.C.C are talking about saving it ha ha :-) I passed the remains of this once great building later this afternoon.There has been a "development".The plain boards that fronted onto Kirkgate streetside have been made over with some form of an artistic impression of 3 aspects of the Kirkgate quarter.These are the Cathedral(now),The Corn Exchange and said White Cloth Hall in all its former splendour.Frankly,apart from a few scaffold poles and the odd bit of crumbling mortar,I fail to see what keeps this particular edifice from self imploding.If Jesus saves,then might I suggest he spends some time in ensuring that his talents may be rewarded in saving this building,or that part which is still standing thereof. Wonder why they have the cathedral on there that's up on Gt George Street!

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

LS1 wrote: somme1916 wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: Tasa wrote: , I can't see anything which (in my inexpert opinion) could be saved in an original (or even close to original) condition. The whole site is open to the elements and since the collapse/demolition (call it what you will), there isn't even a roof to protect it.     The Luftwaffe would have been really proud of that little sortie, and L.C.C are talking about saving it ha ha :-) I passed the remains of this once great building later this afternoon.There has been a "development".The plain boards that fronted onto Kirkgate streetside have been made over with some form of an artistic impression of 3 aspects of the Kirkgate quarter.These are the Cathedral(now),The Corn Exchange and said White Cloth Hall in all its former splendour.Frankly,apart from a few scaffold poles and the odd bit of crumbling mortar,I fail to see what keeps this particular edifice from self imploding.If Jesus saves,then might I suggest he spends some time in ensuring that his talents may be rewarded in saving this building,or that part which is still standing thereof. Wonder why they have the cathedral on there that's up on Gt George Street! Apologies....should read parish church.....May God strike me down ! I'll have to "visit"now to make amends.
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

padfurn

Post by padfurn »

Hello EveryoneThanks for share this useful information.... this information really helpful to me....

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

The latest news on the 'non development of Kirkgate'http://leeds-list.com/kirkgate-regenera ... e-we-now/I guess we won't be seeing any work start until the tree has been planted at Dortmund Square. Due to the tree project lasting nearly a year, the council won't be able to take on anymore complex projects to avoid the City centre being left like an eyesore. Infrequent updates will appear in the future as no work gets underway
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

I vote they spend nothing on it at all.Kirkgate has been iffy since I worra kid, and future generations deserve that too.If they spruce it up, it'll be on my tax spend for future benefit of others

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Phill_dvsn wrote: The latest news on the 'non development of Kirkgate'http://leeds-list.com/kirkgate-regenera ... e-we-now/I guess we won't be seeing any work start until the tree has been planted at Dortmund Square. Due to the tree project lasting nearly a year, the council won't be able to take on anymore complex projects to avoid the City centre being left like an eyesore. Infrequent updates will appear in the future as no work gets underway Dont get me started,you know what im like.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

cnosni wrote: Dont get me started,you know what im like. I know I say we should campaign to get Brian May elected to L.C.C.He's planning to plant a 1000 tree woodlandhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-21427374No doubt it will be finished before the Dortmund Square tree fiasco is     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

His connection with Leeds is not so distant..His ex mother-in-law used to live in the old people's home that is now flats at the bottom of Harroage Rd/ King Lane (forget what it was called)He used to come and see her relatively regularly as far as I know, and my dad used to test the residents eye's there and managed to get a signed pic of him.... Ok so it's pretty distant then!

mark1978

Post by mark1978 »

So do we know anything about what's happening with this place at the moment? Did they actually get the Heritage Lottery Fund money?Just had a search on the LCC meetings page and there doesn't seem to be anything about the Kirkgate plan since this from a year ago.Did anyone go to the Civic Trust talk on Kirkgate a few months back? Any interesting revelations from that? Wasn't there something about how they'd discovered some trace of the old city walls around there somewhere?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

mark1978 wrote: So do we know anything about what's happening with this place at the moment? Did they actually get the Heritage Lottery Fund money?Just had a search on the LCC meetings page and there doesn't seem to be anything about the Kirkgate plan since this from a year ago.Did anyone go to the Civic Trust talk on Kirkgate a few months back? Any interesting revelations from that? Wasn't there something about how they'd discovered some trace of the old city walls around there somewhere? All quiet im afraid.Also some confusion as Leeds never had any defensive/skirting walls.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com