Leeds buses 1960-90

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
pyramar

Post by pyramar »

Thought I'd start a new thread. Looking through an old LCT timetable I was a bit confused by service 39 which appeared to operate in two halves Central Bus Station-Whitkirk and Whitkirk-Cross Gates. Does anyone recall how this worked? Did an LCT 39 arrive at Whitckirk, change destination to Cross Gates, do a journey to (?) Cross Gates roundabout, then become a Whitkirk 39 again for the journey back to Selby Road then become a Central Bus Station 39?On a separate subject, does anyone have a list of destinations from a Kippax and District or Farsley Omnibus blind. Did they share the same blinds?

BJF

Post by BJF »

You could look at the multi volume History of Leeds Transport from the central library.    

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

I worked on there for 25 years and I couldnt tell you that, mind you I didnt do that side of town.You would need one of the Bus fanatics for that answer.If you are interested heres an LCT linkhttp://www.sct61.org.uk/index/operator/ldand a Yorkshire Rider onehttp://www.westyorkshirebuses.freeserve.co.uk/ ... story1.htm
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

pyramar wrote: Thought I'd start a new thread. Looking through an old LCT timetable I was a bit confused by service 39 which appeared to operate in two halves Central Bus Station-Whitkirk and Whitkirk-Cross Gates. Does anyone recall how this worked? Did an LCT 39 arrive at Whitckirk, change destination to Cross Gates, do a journey to (?) Cross Gates roundabout, then become a Whitkirk 39 again for the journey back to Selby Road then become a Central Bus Station 39?On a separate subject, does anyone have a list of destinations from a Kippax and District or Farsley Omnibus blind. Did they share the same blinds? Hi pyramar - was the 39 bus the one that used the lay-by opposite the Skyliner fish shop on the Ring Road as its terminus? I used to catch a bus there to go to work in the evenings but I can't remember its number. Assuming it was, I remember it went back down the Ring Road turned on to Green Lane/Chapel Street-Selby Road junction. It went down to York Road/Marsh Lane/Duncan Street/City Square/Wellington Street where I got off at the Yorkshire Post. Where it went after that I haven't the foggiest. If anyone disagrees I couldn't argue with them, my memory is very vague, it was about 1966. I never caught it going back as I used to use the 2 a.m night bus from City Square - now that was a route. Sorry to be so vague.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

pyramar

Post by pyramar »

The 39 did terminate outside the Skyliner as did the number 9 Ring Road in those days. However the 39 would have terminated in Leeds at the Central Bus Station so any through bus from Whitkirk to the Yorkshire Post was more likely to be an 83 Austhorpe to Rodley or 84 Colton to Rodley which both came later. The long night route you quote was the 339 which started at the Yorkshire Post (it was actually an incoming 324 from Kirkstall Abbey which changed numbers to accommodate YP staff and not oblige them t walk to City Square) which then ran up the Service 1 route to Headingley (Shaw Lane) turning right to follow the 44 route (today's 91) to York Road via Chapel Allerton then turned left to follow the 39 route to Whitkirk) I got on it once from Leeds centre to Harehills Lane. The driver thought I might get a cheaper journey in a taxi!

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

pyramar wrote: The 39 did terminate outside the Skyliner as did the number 9 Ring Road in those days. However the 39 would have terminated in Leeds at the Central Bus Station so any through bus from Whitkirk to the Yorkshire Post was more likely to be an 83 Austhorpe to Rodley or 84 Colton to Rodley which both came later. The long night route you quote was the 339 which started at the Yorkshire Post (it was actually an incoming 324 from Kirkstall Abbey which changed numbers to accommodate YP staff and not oblige them t walk to City Square) which then ran up the Service 1 route to Headingley (Shaw Lane) turning right to follow the 44 route (today's 91) to York Road via Chapel Allerton then turned left to follow the 39 route to Whitkirk) I got on it once from Leeds centre to Harehills Lane. The driver thought I might get a cheaper journey in a taxi! Hi pyramar once again. My memory is certainly poor these days. I used to catch that 29 during the late 60's, say '66 upto the YEP moving from Albion Street to Wellington Street in the early 70's but I can't remember walking from the Bus Station. You're right about the other buses. I forgot that I used to walk and catch the bus opposite the GEM which took me to the YEP on Wellington Street. That late night service was well used. It used to wait for the newspaper lads off the Manchester train if it was a bit late. The bus driver was never short of reading material - I think he got a copy of about every daily going. I think that journey took about 40 minutes. We were stopped on many an occasion by road checks - looking for the "Ripper".

pyramar

Post by pyramar »

If you got a bus from the Gem to the YEP t would be a 24/25/26/27 Swarcliffe to Horsforth

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

pyramar wrote: Thought I'd start a new thread. Looking through an old LCT timetable I was a bit confused by service 39 which appeared to operate in two halves Central Bus Station-Whitkirk and Whitkirk-Cross Gates. Does anyone recall how this worked? Did an LCT 39 arrive at Whitckirk, change destination to Cross Gates, do a journey to (?) Cross Gates roundabout, then become a Whitkirk 39 again for the journey back to Selby Road then become a Central Bus Station 39? pyramar - your mystery bus sounds like the half hourly 38 which ran from the Skyliner to Moortown (Sandhill Lane) via Crosssgates, Gipton and Oakwood - on the hour and half past from each terminus, two vehicles required.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

BLAKEY wrote: pyramar wrote: Thought I'd start a new thread. Looking through an old LCT timetable I was a bit confused by service 39 which appeared to operate in two halves Central Bus Station-Whitkirk and Whitkirk-Cross Gates. Does anyone recall how this worked? Did an LCT 39 arrive at Whitckirk, change destination to Cross Gates, do a journey to (?) Cross Gates roundabout, then become a Whitkirk 39 again for the journey back to Selby Road then become a Central Bus Station 39? pyramar - your mystery bus sounds like the half hourly 38 which ran from the Skyliner to Moortown (Sandhill Lane) via Crosssgates, Gipton and Oakwood - on the hour and half past from each terminus, two vehicles required. Hi Blakey, please don't think I'm being argumentative but didn't the 38 use the top of Hollyshaw Lane, outside the old cattle market, later ASDA as its terminus. I used to catch a bus there to go over to Moortown Corner to connect with the 34/35 Alwoodley bus at The Chained Bull, this would be late 60's early 70's. If you know I'm wrong please tell me but I do remember catching a bus there to Moortown. I can also remember catching the Ring Road bus and getting off at its junction with King Lane and walking down to The Avenue. I look forward to a good old memory jog.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

pyramar wrote: If you got a bus from the Gem to the YEP t would be a 24/25/26/27 Swarcliffe to Horsforth Or a number 40, Stanks - Raynville perhaps ??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.