Angling in Leeds

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

somme1916 wrote: jonleeds wrote: There are a couple of pond in Clayton Woods just off the outer ring road at West Park. They used to be managed by the Fox and Hounds Angling Club and you needed to be a member to legally fish there. However a few years ago they gave up their management / ownership of the ponds and now people come from far and wide to fish there - sometimes overnight! There were rumours that the ponds had been bought by a local builder who planned to drain them and build houses on the land but I believe his planning application was appropriately refused and it appears the Clayton Ponds are safe for the time being. I've heard there are all kind of fish in there including some enormous specimen eels! However as I'm not an angler I wouldnt know. I do know a few year ago police divers recovered the body of a young homeless drug addict who was murdered by a homosexual couple who tried to make it look like he'd drowned in the ponds. Forensics proved he had not and the murderers were found guilty and given long sentences which they are probably still serving. I can remember when I lived in Morley virtually every mill (and there were loads of mills!) had its own dam, many of which were good fishing spots. Alas I believe a lot of them were filled in when the mills were converted to flats. Very true Jon....there was a good fishing spot where the 7 hills leisure centre once stood(The old Snooker Centre) on Bruntcliffe Rd.Morley.Large mill pond there which was very popular at the time.As a kid we used to go fish sticklebacks etc out of Jowitt's pond on Haigh Moor Rd,West Ardsley.When I passed by the other day......most of the adjacent site has become a new house build site.Was a bit surprised really as the whole area is marshy/boggy and constantly under water as indeed the site seemed to be.....heavy mud too ! Wouldn't be too keen on living there.Shame about the pond too.....it's a part of the local history and goes back at least 100 years. Do any anglers on here know if the river Aire at Calverley Bridge nr Rodley holds any fish? I was walking over the footbridge round the back of the Railway Pub last year and I'm certain I saw someone fishing the river there. He had waders on so presume he was fly fishing. I saw an article on a website recently that said there was free fishing for 7miles on the Aire from Leeds centre towards Shipley.Anyone know if this is true and would that extend this far?
ex-Armley lad

book

Post by book »

There will certainly be fish in that stretch. I saw trout rising further up near Apperley Bridge. Not sure about the free fishing though.
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

book wrote: There will certainly be fish in that stretch. I saw trout rising further up near Apperley Bridge. Not sure about the free fishing though. Thanks book,I may give it a go this week!
ex-Armley lad

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Seem to recall mention of a good fishing lake up at Red Hall near the Wellington Pub.But that was an overheard conversation in "a Kirkgate Shop" 1977.

tilly

Post by tilly »

When i was a kid there were no fish in the river in the Leeds stretch and below. If you fell in you would have had to go to hospital for a check up most of the time the water was like ink.What gets me is now the river is quite clean you have to pay to fish even if you have lived in Leeds all your life what right has anyone to stop you fishing in your own citys river once again money rears its head.Nuf said there is no reason why there should be not be trout well below Leeds. there will come a time when salmon come up through Leeds has they did hundreds of years ago the monks at Kirkstall used to catch salmon in the river aire but it will not be in my time i dont think.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

tilly wrote: When i was a kid there were no fish in the river in the Leeds stretch and below. If you fell in you would have had to go to hospital for a check up most of the time the water was like ink.What gets me is now the river is quite clean you have to pay to fish even if you have lived in Leeds all your life what right has anyone to stop you fishing in your own citys river once again money rears its head.Nuf said there is no reason why there should be not be trout well below Leeds. there will come a time when salmon come up through Leeds has they did hundreds of years ago the monks at Kirkstall used to catch salmon in the river aire but it will not be in my time i dont think.     Was in Stan's Tackle shop,Pudsey yesterday and asked about the fishing on the Aire and was informed that the fishing is free all the way up to the Bradford boundary.There are now trout and other species in the river but bank access is another matter.Some of the banks are too high and steep.There are some spots at Kirkstall Abbey and Pollard Ln. Bramley,so I was told.The fishing is good too!The river has been cleaned up a lot since privatisation as Yorkshire Water has had to build a sewage processing plant to make this possible. The Environment Agency then stocked it with fish.The Fishing License which previously was administered by all the seperate Water boards in England now comes under the E.A.The cost has gone up nearly a £ per year since then and now stands at £26 and £18 for a senior citizen like me!It is said that salmon have been seen nr Leeds Bridge making their way upstream! The Rodley Bird Sanctuary are on about building a Fish Pass nr their area to facilitate this.So ,things are looking up for angling on the Aire!
ex-Armley lad

Tyke

Post by Tyke »

Been spinning for a couple of hours today on the free stretch from the Armories down to Gibraltar Island. Didnt catch owt but the Brownies down there were taking the [edited for content], no matter what I used they wouldnt have it just kept supping the surface right in front of me.
Hunslet born and bread

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi stutterdog Your right about fees when i got to 65 i was looking forward to a cheap licence i think it was twelve pounds i had one season at that price then in went up to eighteen pounds in one go.Six pounds in one go it might not seem a lot to some, but anyone on a pension could find it hard. I rang up about it and was told it had gone up in line with inflation what a load of rubbish i have fished since i was fourteen sometimes only twice a year so have paid a lot of money over the years.If you want a weeks fishing its now ten pounds i know because i was thinking about getting a few days in before i have to go into hospital no way am i paying ten pounds so i will start next season.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Tyke wrote: Been spinning for a couple of hours today on the free stretch from the Armories down to Gibraltar Island. Didnt catch owt but the Brownies down there were taking the [edited for content], no matter what I used they wouldnt have it just kept supping the surface right in front of me. I don't fish, but every time I've been down by the gates I've seen (and fed) a Pike. It's about one and a half to two foot long and is just here
Attachments
__TFMF_pgbrerqz5mpork55gxdgbh55_ca0b205b-d00c-4734-a4f9-8792272a8770_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_pgbrerqz5mpork55gxdgbh55_ca0b205b-d00c-4734-a4f9-8792272a8770_0_main.jpg (49.48 KiB) Viewed 7260 times

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Tyke wrote: Been spinning for a couple of hours today on the free stretch from the Armories down to Gibraltar Island. Didnt catch owt but the Brownies down there were taking the [edited for content], no matter what I used they wouldnt have it just kept supping the surface right in front of me. Hello Tyke,             Get yourself some fly fishing gear! They'd be sipping hatching insects from the surface film! This warm weather ,midges do hatch off,use an emerger! I quite agree Tilly,I would have thought that the license fee would have been half the full fee but no! It's a lot more!I bought a consession license in April and I've only been once because the rivers have been in flood with all the rain.
ex-Armley lad