Water level of the River Aire at Leeds Crown Point.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Following this there is a link to the Environment Agency's website that reports the water level of the River Aire at Leeds Crown Point, which may be of interest:- http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/ho ... ortunately the site does not seem to update the daily readings much, which is a shame.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

Thanks for that Leo -- not something I really *need* but I'm an information junky so I've bookmarked that page now.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Leodian wrote: Following this there is a link to the Environment Agency's website that reports the water level of the River Aire at Leeds Crown Point, which may be of interest:- http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/ho ... ortunately the site does not seem to update the daily readings much, which is a shame. Doesn't seem that deep Leodian ??? 0.59m.....only 1'11"(23") in old money !
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

Caron

Post by Caron »

20/8/12 is the date given.I thought it would be higher as I read only a few days ago that the Aire was on standby for possible flooding.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

somme1916 wrote: Leodian wrote: Following this there is a link to the Environment Agency's website that reports the water level of the River Aire at Leeds Crown Point, which may be of interest:- http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/ho ... ortunately the site does not seem to update the daily readings much, which is a shame. Doesn't seem that deep Leodian ??? 0.59m.....only 1'11"(23") in old money ! Cheers somme1916. I had not realised just how low 0.59m actually is! I suspect it must be wrong data as elsewhere in the Environment Agency website it states that for the River Aire at Kirkstall Abbey is 1.56 metres "recorded at 05:15 on 20/08/2012" (the same date/time as for Leeds Crown Point) which is almost 3 times as deep!I came across the Leeds Crown Point water level site by chance when I was searching for something. On giving the Environment Agency site a good look thorough from the Leeds Crown Point page I've found there are water levels for very many locations on the River Aire and other rivers nationally.Also cheers Caron for your comment.     
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Leodian wrote: somme1916 wrote: Leodian wrote: Following this there is a link to the Environment Agency's website that reports the water level of the River Aire at Leeds Crown Point, which may be of interest:- http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/ho ... ortunately the site does not seem to update the daily readings much, which is a shame. Doesn't seem that deep Leodian ??? 0.59m.....only 1'11"(23") in old money ! Cheers somme1916. I had not realised just how low 0.59m actually is! I suspect it must be wrong data as elsewhere in the Environment Agency website it states that for the River Aire at Kirkstall Abbey is 1.56 metres "recorded at 05:15 on 20/08/2012" (the same date/time as for Leeds Crown Point) which is almost 3 times as deep!I came across the Leeds Crown Point water level site by chance when I was searching for something. On giving the Environment Agency site a good look thorough from the Leeds Crown Point page I've found there are water levels for very many locations on the River Aire and other rivers nationally.Also cheers Caron for your comment.      Yes Leo,it's very odd data.....it'd only come up to just above an adult's knees(got tape out to test) ! Seems strange from a so called "respectable" government department.Doubt very much you'd be able to swim in that depth.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

somme1916 wrote: Leodian wrote: somme1916 wrote: Leodian wrote: Following this there is a link to the Environment Agency's website that reports the water level of the River Aire at Leeds Crown Point, which may be of interest:- http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/ho ... ortunately the site does not seem to update the daily readings much, which is a shame. Doesn't seem that deep Leodian ??? 0.59m.....only 1'11"(23") in old money ! Cheers somme1916. I had not realised just how low 0.59m actually is! I suspect it must be wrong data as elsewhere in the Environment Agency website it states that for the River Aire at Kirkstall Abbey is 1.56 metres "recorded at 05:15 on 20/08/2012" (the same date/time as for Leeds Crown Point) which is almost 3 times as deep!I came across the Leeds Crown Point water level site by chance when I was searching for something. On giving the Environment Agency site a good look thorough from the Leeds Crown Point page I've found there are water levels for very many locations on the River Aire and other rivers nationally.Also cheers Caron for your comment.      Yes Leo,it's very odd data.....it'd only come up to just above an adult's knees(got tape out to test) ! Seems strange from a so called "respectable" government department.Doubt very much you'd be able to swim in that depth. A couple of points spring to mind...Firstly if it is genuinely just under two feet deep, no wonder the flood risk is so high - the 'highest recent' figure of 2.45m is approaching 7 feet deep, so that is a heck of a variation. That said, if you ever walk along the river bank there, look at how close to the footpath the water level is. I'm sure someone has posted on here before that the river is around 6-8 feet deep in the central channel through Leeds city centre so it's all a bit puzzling.I wonder how deep the dredgers used to keep this channel when it was used for industry..?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

raveydavey wrote: somme1916 wrote: Leodian wrote: somme1916 wrote: Leodian wrote: Following this there is a link to the Environment Agency's website that reports the water level of the River Aire at Leeds Crown Point, which may be of interest:- http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/ho ... ortunately the site does not seem to update the daily readings much, which is a shame. Doesn't seem that deep Leodian ??? 0.59m.....only 1'11"(23") in old money ! Cheers somme1916. I had not realised just how low 0.59m actually is! I suspect it must be wrong data as elsewhere in the Environment Agency website it states that for the River Aire at Kirkstall Abbey is 1.56 metres "recorded at 05:15 on 20/08/2012" (the same date/time as for Leeds Crown Point) which is almost 3 times as deep!I came across the Leeds Crown Point water level site by chance when I was searching for something. On giving the Environment Agency site a good look thorough from the Leeds Crown Point page I've found there are water levels for very many locations on the River Aire and other rivers nationally.Also cheers Caron for your comment.      Yes Leo,it's very odd data.....it'd only come up to just above an adult's knees(got tape out to test) ! Seems strange from a so called "respectable" government department.Doubt very much you'd be able to swim in that depth. A couple of points spring to mind...Firstly if it is genuinely just under two feet deep, no wonder the flood risk is so high - the 'highest recent' figure of 2.45m is approaching 7 feet deep, so that is a heck of a variation. That said, if you ever walk along the river bank there, look at how close to the footpath the water level is. I'm sure someone has posted on here before that the river is around 6-8 feet deep in the central channel through Leeds city centre so it's all a bit puzzling.I wonder how deep the dredgers used to keep this channel when it was used for industry..? Yes,raveydavey....a bit of an enigma.You'd imagine it's got to be much deeper than the website suggests.....they need some draught for the riverboats,barges etc2.45m is actually over 8'0" deep too......(only half an inch though).

jim

Post by jim »

Possibly the measure is taken at Crown Point Weir or somewhere similar. The river is much wider at such a site, allowing a greater flow volume at less depth, and the "drop" of a weir creates a much faster flow. Under these circumstances the depth over the weir will be less than elsewhere. Such a site will also ensure a consistent basis for measurement. Another low measurement will be found at the downhill end of the river arches under the station beneath the Dark Neville Street bridge. This is caused by the paved steep gradient creating a much faster flow than is seen elsewhere, leading to a shallower depth.Rivers and similar natural waterways do not have consistent depth, and all kinds of factors will have an effect on this.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

jim wrote: Possibly the measure is taken at Crown Point Weir or somewhere similar. The river is much wider at such a site, allowing a greater flow volume at less depth, and the "drop" of a weir creates a much faster flow. Under these circumstances the depth over the weir will be less than elsewhere. Such a site will also ensure a consistent basis for measurement. Another low measurement will be found at the downhill end of the river arches under the station beneath the Dark Neville Street bridge. This is caused by the paved steep gradient creating a much faster flow than is seen elsewhere, leading to a shallower depth.Rivers and similar natural waterways do not have consistent depth, and all kinds of factors will have an effect on this. OK Jim,thanks for that.Be some force at such a depth then.Might take a look for myself later on this week.