fallodon nursing home

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
lilypearl

Post by lilypearl »

would appreciate any information about this establishment, when it was first opened a who ran.there are references on the internet about it, usually spelt with the ending....den, but at the same address, 4, allerton park.there is sufficient info on the internet to indicate it was initially a maternity home for both married and unmarried women, there is an advertisementfor it in a 1959 telephone directory, also information on-line that clearly shows poor treatment of some unmarried mum's, a very large number of babies appear to have been adopted from here.Over time it has had a slight variance in name; Fallodon Private Nursing home and latterly in 1996, when it was closed for medical negligence, Fallodon Private Surgical Hospital.Following the Abortion Act of 1967 it was continuously licensed to practice abortions and there are many references to the home in Government Hansard publications, However I have found reference to the death of a retired person at that addressin the 1970's indicating it may at some time between 1959-1996 have been used as a retirement/nursing home.There is some indication that it was burned down but I have no date for this, a private residential estate with low rise apartments now occupies the site.

wayniac

Post by wayniac »

You could follow some of the comments at the tail of this photo:http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... =FULLQuite a sensitive subject for the people involved.I had a relative give birth there and give up her baby for adoption. Thirty odd years later they have been reunited and a happy story after all.If you Google the subject you will find multiple references in Hansard too.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Covered in another thread somewhere too but I can't find it. As A private facility offering maternity services, I and one of my sisters were born there in the 1950's.

lilypearl

Post by lilypearl »

Thanks wayniac and chameleon for suggestions.I appreciate memories and connections of this place must be very sensitive.What I find intriguing is that in all references to it there is no mention of who the owners were throughout it's long history of being some sort of nursing facility.Does anyone know if it was originally privately owned, NHS or belonged to a particular religious organisation? Presumably it changed hands over the years, there are plenty of personal records of events there in the 1950s, any info when it first opened? the 1970 reference indicates for a time it had at least one elderly resident who died there, was it a care home then?Hansard publications reference, following the 1967 Abortion Act, indicate it was licensed for that procedure up till 1995, if there was a fire there what year was it?One reference in the Evening Post from 1991 indicate builders were on site at that time, perhaps the Private Surgical Hospital was an outcome of that work, it was closed in 1995.

guitar man

Post by guitar man »

I used to deliver some ice cream there in 1963 when Iworked for Walls Ice Cream on the ring road at Seacroft.It was somewhere near Gleadhow Valley Road I had no idea what they did there.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

In those early days (when I came into existence anyway!) it was a privately owned and run establishment. Mum refused to go into hospital to be delivered and this was the only place her then GP would consider. A very pleasant and friendly place with staff equally amicable - speaking from later experience as a young visitor when my sister arrived on the scene later in the fifty's and I do recall that the account for Mum's week's stay and care amounted to a little over £22.00 which I supose was a sizable amount back then.I'm sure somewhere in deep memory I should recall the proprietor's name but for now that eludes me.As things, including the financial climate changed, the Fallodon was taken over by at least one large commercial care provider and again as attitudes and the law changed, it moved to providing a related type of service.It was certainly a beautiful big old place in large grounds.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

It seems that the Fallodon as an entity has been operated under the names Branmed, Scotmed, Healthwise and others since 1996. People associated with those [dissolved] company names include Adrianne Bradshaw/Savage and Dr Godfrey Lightning. http://www.cdrex.com/branmed-limited-955854.htmlA quick google is most interesting.     

lilypearl

Post by lilypearl »

guitar man wrote: I used to deliver some ice cream there in 1963 when Iworked for Walls Ice Cream on the ring road at Seacroft.It was somewhere near Gleadhow Valley Road I had no idea what they did there. thanks for this info

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Geordie-exile wrote: It seems that the Fallodon as an entity has been operated under the names Branmed, Scotmed, Healthwise and others since 1996. People associated with those [dissolved] company names include Adrianne Bradshaw/Savage and Dr Godfrey Lightning. http://www.cdrex.com/branmed-limited-955854.htmlA quick google is most interesting.      A case of 'Google is your friend' - sometimes

lilypearl

Post by lilypearl »

Geordie-exile wrote: It seems that the Fallodon as an entity has been operated under the names Branmed, Scotmed, Healthwise and others since 1996. People associated with those [dissolved] company names include Adrianne Bradshaw/Savage and Dr Godfrey Lightning. http://www.cdrex.com/branmed-limited-955854.htmlA quick google is most interesting.      Thanks the intrigue deepens!Perhaps the medical negligence cases mentioned in Government Hansard 1995 were not upheld? although I got the impression it closed in 1996 or was not licensed, perhaps they just regrouped with a different name since your link indicated they were not dissolved until 2011, it seems difficult to really check out who the directors were they appear to use different names, Dr Lighing for one!! thanks for the link.The House of commons have on record their concerns about the involvement of NHS Consultants involvement with this type of Private clinic?Still keen to know when it first opened, in the 1950s I think.