Street names

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
sulkycat

Post by sulkycat »

i used to live in knottobottom way.... thats not good is it!would rather like to live in mistress lane ;-)

LS1

Post by LS1 »

farbank wrote: The corn mill down Lower Briggate, by Leeds bridge, was called the Kings Mill. If you stand facing up Briggate, to the left, over the parapet, and on the opp.side. The stone with 'Kings Mill', above the waterline, marks the mill site.Apparently you couldn't choose where you had your corn ground. It had to be at the 'Kings' mill, so the tax could be levied.! The Kings Mill indeed was there but on the 1909/8 map there is defiantely a corn mill mentioned on Pitfall Steet (or where it is now) on the side that on the right of the street if you face up Briggate? Strange!

jane666

Post by jane666 »

there's a street in horsforth called paradise place, it has a stone on the side of one of the houses which spells it as paradiCe place1873 any idea what this spelling indicates?
Get in the tardis. We're off to Manchester 1973

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

farbank wrote: The corn mill down Lower Briggate, by Leeds bridge, was called the Kings Mill. If you stand facing up Briggate, to the left, over the parapet, and on the opp.side. The stone with 'Kings Mill', above the waterline, marks the mill site.Apparently you couldn't choose where you had your corn ground. It had to be at the 'Kings' mill, so the tax could be levied.! I believe one of the 'perks' of being a Freeman of Leeds is/was that you had the right to grind your corn wherever you wanted and so were exempt from this tax. I may be wrong but I also think that the Knights Templar and their tenants were exempt and this was part of the reason why there estates were marked with the distinctive cross.
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

drapesy wrote: farbank wrote: The corn mill down Lower Briggate, by Leeds bridge, was called the Kings Mill. If you stand facing up Briggate, to the left, over the parapet, and on the opp.side. The stone with 'Kings Mill', above the waterline, marks the mill site.Apparently you couldn't choose where you had your corn ground. It had to be at the 'Kings' mill, so the tax could be levied.! I believe one of the 'perks' of being a Freeman of Leeds is/was that you had the right to grind your corn wherever you wanted and so were exempt from this tax. I may be wrong but I also think that the Knights Templar and their tenants were exempt and this was part of the reason why there estates were marked with the distinctive cross. you got it in a nutshell drapesy!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

stevief

Post by stevief »

There's a 'Whack House Lane' in Yeadon.Could it be as cruel as it sounds?

LS1

Post by LS1 »

The Oatlands in Little London/ Meanwood Road area sound like they have something to do with Capt. Oates who resided round here at one point apparently. Is there any truth in this at all?

sulkycat

Post by sulkycat »

stevief wrote: There's a 'Whack House Lane' in Yeadon.Could it be as cruel as it sounds? maybe this should be next door to mistress lane? !

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Is it just me - or does anybody else snigger inwardly whenever someone says ' Cockshott Lane' ?
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

carrotol

Post by carrotol »

I didn't snigger before but now youv'e made me think about it, I will