Local Characters

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
tilly

Post by tilly »

I was on Armley Town Street yesterday and i saw this guy he must have been seven foot tall i must say it was a bit of a shock as i had never seen anyone so tall.Has anyone else seen him he looked to be in his mid to late twentys?
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

jim

Post by jim »

He's been about for a number of years Tilly, an infrequent but regular presence. He had a predecessor in the 1980s, known as "Ayatollah" (from his CB persona) but I haven't come across him for a few years.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

tilly wrote: I was on Armley Town Street yesterday and i saw this guy he must have been seven foot tall i must say it was a bit of a shock as i had never seen anyone so tall.Has anyone else seen him he looked to be in his mid to late twentys? I know that small folk get bad comments and problems but it's as bad for tall folk too (couple of mates are6'6"). They tire of folk (but take it in a good natured way) saying 'whats the weather like up there' etc. On the plus side they do good works in supermarkets helping reach high stuff for 'lil folks I think the chap you saw may was Chris ListerThere was a documentary about him recently http://www.thetallestman.com/chrislister.htm    

Caron

Post by Caron »

I saw the documentary and I felt sorry for him but after reading your link, Jogan, he no longer has my sympathy. Seems his painful legs do not cause enough pain. Enough said.

BillyBritvic

Post by BillyBritvic »

jdbythesea wrote: book wrote: Anyone remember the cowboy down WoodHouse street, he had a horse and I seem to remember he had a stagecoach at one time. Always dressed like a cowboy. Book, have a look at this thread - Headingley/Meanwood Cowboy.His name, as I recollect, was (and may still be) Calvert. JD Mr Calvert, as we kids called him in the early to mid 60's used to live on Craven Road just off Woodhouse street, I remember sitting on the pavement outside his back to back house along with several other urchins and listening to him tell stories about his times riding with Billy the Kid and Jessie James and other famous cowboys, and we believed him too! He had two cowboy guns and a holster that he let us hold and look at.
The longer we live the older we get

Finn

Post by Finn »

Hi there folks.Looking to get in touch with a barman who used to work at the Lord Cardigan in Bramley.Mid 40's, medium height, slim (well almost stick thin) always very short greying hair. thick Scottish-type accent and was missing a few teeth!He name was Pete (if I recall correctly) and was fired from the pub sometime around 2003 (I think)He was quite a character!Anyone know who I'm on about ? gratefully appreciated :-)    

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Finn wrote: Hi there folks.Looking to get in touch with a barman who used to work at the Lord Cardigan in Bramley.Mid 40's, medium height, slim (well almost stick thin) always very short greying hair. thick Scottish-type accent and was missing a few teeth!He name was Pete (if I recall correctly) and was fired from the pub sometime around 2003 (I think)He was quite a character!Anyone know who I'm on about ? gratefully appreciated :-)     How much does he owe you ????
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

Suvi

Post by Suvi »

Phill_dvsn wrote: We have a fella round our way called Paranoid Dave.He's in his mid 60's, small chap with dark hair in a kind of teddy boy cut, he's manic depressive, Schizophrenia and has other issues too. He used to be able to keep fairly calm and keep it together until he had a mild stroke and had to give up smoking and drinking (which he flouts still) since then he's a little unpredictable to say the least. He goes into town on a daily basis 7 days a week.He's often to be seen reading a book about monks or some similar spiritual/ buddhist theme. He can be quiet as a mouse reading his book, then all of a sudden he'll start looking round at no one in particular and launch into the loudest shouting and swearing tirade ever, expletives fill the air.The funny thing is no one seems to take any notice of it, I think everyone's used to him, even the bus drivers. I just tell him to be quiet as there are women and children on the bus.I used to lend him the odd fiver now and again for a few pints, he'd get in such a panic you'd go looking for him and demand your money back. He'd get in a real sate over it, anyway one particular time there was a knock at my door at 4 in the morning, bleary eyed I opened it to find Dave wanting to give me the money he had lent to stop me sending the heavy boys round He knew I worked on the post and was always up at that time, but you should have seen the look of horror on his face when I said it was my day off and he'd woken me up. He was sure someone would clonk him one for the slightest reason and tried his best not to upset anyone lol. He's often to be seen around the market, and places like the Three Legs, I'm sure a few on S.L must have seen, or at least heard him *!!*!!* about                          your'e bliming lucky you don't live on the same floor as him, that's all I can say. he frightens the living jimmies out of me and i have had 10 years of it

Suvi

Post by Suvi »

Rat is back, selling big issue near opposite the art gallery, he had my lunch today. If you're wondering why he's called Rat, its because though human he sure as hell looks like oneand he'd be first to admit it too!

jim

Post by jim »

I don't think Rat has been away from Leeds, he just spent time selling the issue on lower Albion Street, later moving to Lands Lane. I generally have a chat with him, having known him from when we both used to go to the Duchess.Anyone know "Scum", another live music scene character. Medium height, heavily tattooed including his complete head. Looks hard, even menacing, but a lovely bloke if you get to know him.I saw the "Armley Tall Guy" last night as well, on my way home from band practice, so he's still about.I have realised ,looking through this thread, that I know a fair proportion of the people mentioned here, at least to talk to. Bernard Davey is an old friend going back at least thirty five years. Every time I see him he has a musical project going in the very near future for which he urgently requires my musical talents. I ask him what kind of material he will be using, assure him that my skills would be inappropriate, but fail to persuade him of the reality of my statement. Sober, Bernard had quite the most beautiful tenor voice I have ever heard live (and yes, I have been and continue to go to live operas at the Grand), but sobriety is not Bernard's forte (musical joke, for those not paying attention) and I fear his vocal gift may no longer be present.