Leeds First White Cloth Hall: public consulted on revamp

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Some info on the proposed redevelopment of the White Cloth Hall in the Y.E.P today.http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 49Although looking at the photo you have to ask yourself is what is left of the ramshackle building worth saving. It's also rather ironic it's a Bradford demolition firm sign up on the fencing, Bradford are good at knocking things down and leaving big holes      The view in the photo in the YEP is not that which anyone would have seen for many months due to the boarding that blocks any ready viewing. In a 'Where is this to be found' thread I started on March 19 2012 (it was a nearby feature) in a response to a post I stated "Incidentally, I looked at the demolition site that was the White Cloth Hall on the other side of Kirkgate but nothing seems to have changed since I last looked months ago, at least from what I could see".The site does not look like it could be worth saving as much of what remains (if not all) looks like it would be unsafe.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Leodian wrote: Phill_dvsn wrote: Some info on the proposed redevelopment of the White Cloth Hall in the Y.E.P today.http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 49Although looking at the photo you have to ask yourself is what is left of the ramshackle building worth saving. It's also rather ironic it's a Bradford demolition firm sign up on the fencing, Bradford are good at knocking things down and leaving big holes      The view in the photo in the YEP is not that which anyone would have seen for many months due to the boarding that blocks any ready viewing. In a 'Where is this to be found' thread I started on March 19 2012 (it was a nearby feature) in a response to a post I stated "Incidentally, I looked at the demolition site that was the White Cloth Hall on the other side of Kirkgate but nothing seems to have changed since I last looked months ago, at least from what I could see".The site does not look like it could be worth saving as much of what remains (if not all) looks like it would be unsafe. I'm surprised furniture shop next door to the right hasn't collapsed.If you look closely,there seems to be a door upstairs in the premises which,when opened,would lead you out to a very big drop indeed ! I presume this is safely bricked up/sealed off on the interior wall.
        I'm not just anybody,I am sommebody !

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

I passed the site this evening, just as the furniture store was closing (I recognised the chap putting the shutters up as the person who helped us on the infamous "Skulls" thread a few years ago) For those relatively new to Secret Leeds, here's a link to the Skulls thread, as I've seen various references to it over the past few weeks and wondered if people knew what was being referred to - it's a long read!http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... ght=1There are three viewing holes through the boarding to the Cloth Hall and sadly, I can't see anything which (in my inexpert opinion) could be saved in an original (or even close to original) condition. The whole site is open to the elements and since the collapse/demolition (call it what you will), there isn't even a roof to protect it.    

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Tasa wrote: I passed the site this evening, just as the furniture store was closing (I recognised the chap putting the shutters up as the person who helped us on the infamous "Skulls" thread a few years ago) For those relatively new to Secret Leeds, here's a link to the Skulls thread, as I've seen various references to it over the past few weeks and wondered if people knew what was being referred to - it's a long read!http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... ght=1There are three viewing holes through the boarding to the Cloth Hall and sadly, I can't see anything which (in my inexpert opinion) could be saved in an original (or even close to original) condition. The whole site is open to the elements and since the collapse/demolition (call it what you will), there isn't even a roof to protect it.     Sadly,my friend,I have to agree............just a hole,a pile o bricks,'n nowt much else.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Tasa wrote: , I can't see anything which (in my inexpert opinion) could be saved in an original (or even close to original) condition. The whole site is open to the elements and since the collapse/demolition (call it what you will), there isn't even a roof to protect it.     The Luftwaffe would have been really proud of that little sortie, and L.C.C are talking about saving it ha ha :-)
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

On page 17 of today's YEP it reports that "Leeds City Council approved plans on Wednesday to submit a £600,000 bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF). Another £1m bid has already been accepted by the HLF. The money will be used to renovate Lower Kirkgate which is occupied by the neglected First White Cloth Hall and several empty shop units".

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Leodian wrote: On page 17 of today's YEP it reports that "Leeds City Council approved plans on Wednesday to submit a £600,000 bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF). Another £1m bid has already been accepted by the HLF. The money will be used to renovate Lower Kirkgate which is occupied by the neglected First White Cloth Hall and several empty shop units". Approved making a bid is rather less of a story than winning it!. The acccepted bid is recyscled news too - must be Saturday(Comments aimed at the paper Leodian - not your reporting of it of course)

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

chameleon wrote: Leodian wrote: On page 17 of today's YEP it reports that "Leeds City Council approved plans on Wednesday to submit a £600,000 bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF). Another £1m bid has already been accepted by the HLF. The money will be used to renovate Lower Kirkgate which is occupied by the neglected First White Cloth Hall and several empty shop units". Approved making a bid is rather less of a story than winning it!. The acccepted bid is recyscled news too - must be Saturday(Comments aimed at the paper Leodian - not your reporting of it of course)

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Link to a Leds Council documenthttp://www.leeds.gov.uk/files/Internet2007/2012/24/eb12sum.pdf(Thanks to Lazygamer on "Skyscraper City for originally providing link)Apart from other interesting bits and bobs there is some news on lower Kirkgate on page 2.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

somme1916

Post by somme1916 »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Tasa wrote: , I can't see anything which (in my inexpert opinion) could be saved in an original (or even close to original) condition. The whole site is open to the elements and since the collapse/demolition (call it what you will), there isn't even a roof to protect it.     The Luftwaffe would have been really proud of that little sortie, and L.C.C are talking about saving it ha ha :-) I passed the remains of this once great building later this afternoon.There has been a "development".The plain boards that fronted onto Kirkgate streetside have been made over with some form of an artistic impression of 3 aspects of the Kirkgate quarter.These are the Cathedral(now),The Corn Exchange and said White Cloth Hall in all its former splendour.Frankly,apart from a few scaffold poles and the odd bit of crumbling mortar,I fail to see what keeps this particular edifice from self imploding.If Jesus saves,then might I suggest he spends some time in ensuring that his talents may be rewarded in saving this building,or that part which is still standing thereof.