No skylarking...But where?

How well do you know Leeds?
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Skylarking is a great old word that you don't seem to hear these days, It goes well with urchins, tomfoolery, malarkey and shenanigans! I'm undecided just how hard this one will be to guess, It's either going to be very easy and guessed straight away, or prove a little harder. So where in Leeds can you spot this great old sign of yesteryear?    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Caron

Post by Caron »

My mam used to say " Lakin" for messing.Reckon it comes from skylarking.It would be a good thread to have some yorkshire words only.Leeds and Poole are not that far apart but it's another language.By the way, love the photo's you display. Thanks.

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

I've a feeling it's the other way around and "skylarking" comes from "lakin". I think it comes from the Norse verb to play. In Norway, for example, you see signs outside schools saying "Barn Leker" which is pretty much "Berns Lakin".

Caron

Post by Caron »

BarFly wrote: I've a feeling it's the other way around and "skylarking" comes from "lakin". I think it comes from the Norse verb to play. In Norway, for example, you see signs outside schools saying "Barn Leker" which is pretty much "Berns Lakin". Why are you so bloomin educated?

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

Caron wrote: Why are you so bloomin educated? I'll just say a woman was involved and leave it at that .

book

Post by book »

There might already be a thread on Yorkshire Dialect. Do a search but f not you could start one. There is a Yorks Dialect Society that meets and has produced books in the past.The word Skylarking might be associated with the bird and it's behaviour in Springtime. The Skylark in Spring is a bit of of a loony, it's flight is erratic, bouncy and looks almost out of control at times. IMO. The word Laking was used in the Castleford area for playing and still is used. Jus to make sure I'm not going off topic too much, I haven't got a clue where it is but could it be the Middlton light railway, that's the only logical place it could be, IMO?
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

Si

Post by Si »

Caron wrote: It would be a good thread to have some yorkshire words only. Hi Caron. Click on the Search box at the top of the page, then type dialect/slang into the search box. The "Dialect/Slang" thread should be listed.It's 43 pages long, so happy reading and reminiscing!Phill - don't know where the skylarking sign is, but reminded me of the "No Petting" signs that used to be in swimming baths!    

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Those old ''no petting'' signs are great aren't they Si?You know they are quite sort after these days? You can buy reproductions and even tee shirts with the poster on.I have an original that was in an abandoned Victorian baths in Manchester herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/214478 ... 871296/I'm glad the skylarkng sign hasn't been guessed straight away as well     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

I thought it might be on what I think is the old goods yard entrance on Aire Street but a quick Street View tells me that sign's a different shape. Is it tucked away somewhere in a doorway of the North concourse?

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

BarFly wrote: I thought it might be on what I think is the old goods yard entrance on Aire Street but a quick Street View tells me that sign's a different shape. Is it tucked away somewhere in a doorway of the North concourse? No it's not really tucked away at all, in fact you might say it was more on show than hid away If no one gets anywhere near today I'll add a few more clues tomorrow! Edit. Sorry Book I missed your Middleton Railway answer, It's not there, but it's a good guess.