Empire Arcade

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

buffaloskinner wrote: There was an hearing aid shop in the arcade, now at side of market Pardon? geordiex - that's a pretty good 'lil web site you listed

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Geordie-exile wrote: From several sites around the net - here's just one - http://ipswich-lettering.org/leeds.htmlthis appears to be an original feature. On the website above they call it a 'cartouche'.    There are some good photos of various spots in the city centre on there too. Thanks for that very interesting link Geordie-exile. Just to make it clear I did though try a search of the SL site and some of the Leodis website but found no pictures of the Empire Palace sign, which is why I did my posts. You clearly have more willingness than I have when searching in that you searched "several sites around the net".
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Leodian wrote: Geordie-exile wrote: From several sites around the net - here's just one - http://ipswich-lettering.org/leeds.htmlthis appears to be an original feature. On the website above they call it a 'cartouche'.    There are some good photos of various spots in the city centre on there too. Thanks for that very interesting link Geordie-exile. Just to make it clear I did though try a search of the SL site and some of the Leodis website but found no pictures of the Empire Palace sign, which is why I did my posts. You clearly have more willingness than I have when searching in that you searched "several sites around the net". Just call me Sherlock. [Nah. Just put 'Empire Palace' into Google image search.]

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Jogon wrote: buffaloskinner wrote: There was an hearing aid shop in the arcade, now at side of market Pardon? geordiex - that's a pretty good 'lil web site you listed The hearing aid shop was Ardente - my Dad used to buy his hearing aids from there, and thankfully by the 1970s their technology had moved on from this:http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/brought ... px?id=6713

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Here is the rear entrance on Cross Arcade (Leodis of course)21st June 1984 View of the Cross Arcade between Queen Victoria Street and King Edward Street showing the rear entrance to the Empire Arcade. The Empire Arcade opened in 1964 following the demolition of the Empire Theatre in 1962. It has now been redeveloped to house the London store Harvey Nichols. The main entrance to the Empire Arcade was on Briggate. King Edward Street is just glimpsed at the left edge. And the Briggate Entrance
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

Leodian wrote: I took this photo on January 3 2012. It shows 'Empire Palace' above the entrance to Harvey Nichols in the Cross Arcade. I'm not definite but I think this is where the Empire Arcade from Briggate came out in Cross Arcade. I don't though know if the 'Empire Palace' name was there when the Empire Arcade was built after the Empire Theatre was demolished, or if it is new stonework done when Harvey Nichols was built. I suspect it is the latter, but it would be nice to be wrong and that it is an old feature. Here are a couple of Leodis photographs which may prove that the EMPIRE PALACE sign in Cross Arcade was there all along. They are not that clear because of the angle of the shot, but to me the sign looks there alright. The first one is early 60's, the second from 1984.http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... 928_164833

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

This is above the rear entrance of Harvey Nicks on Cross Arcade    

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

I personally think that this is the best photo of the front of the Empire Palace from around 1902

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

salt 'n pepper wrote: Leodian wrote: I took this photo on January 3 2012. It shows 'Empire Palace' above the entrance to Harvey Nichols in the Cross Arcade. I'm not definite but I think this is where the Empire Arcade from Briggate came out in Cross Arcade. I don't though know if the 'Empire Palace' name was there when the Empire Arcade was built after the Empire Theatre was demolished, or if it is new stonework done when Harvey Nichols was built. I suspect it is the latter, but it would be nice to be wrong and that it is an old feature. Here are a couple of Leodis photographs which may prove that the EMPIRE PALACE sign in Cross Arcade was there all along. They are not that clear because of the angle of the shot, but to me the sign looks there alright. The first one is early 60's, the second from 1984.http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... 928_164833 Thanks for that salt 'n pepper. As you say the views do suggest that the Empire Palace name may have been at that site a long time. It would be nice that some of the structure did survive.PS. I always knew it as the Empire Theatre (more usually just the Empire) not the Empire Palace. I've learnt something new through this thread!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

biofichompinc

Post by biofichompinc »

Leodian wrote: PS. I always knew it as the Empire Theatre (more usually just the Empire) not the Empire Palace. I've learnt something new through this thread! Same here! Remember going to see Anthony Newley and Ronnie Hilton top separate bills at the Empire. In my defence I must add that it was my Mum who was the fan. I was probably about ten years old.And in our defence for our understanding of the name of the venue we should point towards BuffaloSkinner's photograph above. The name in the brickwork at the top of the building reads Empire Palace, but the name on the awning is quite clearly 'The Empire'. And that was in 1902!We may have been in a minority of a few thousand in the Leeds area.