Belinda's Briggate

The green spaces and places of Leeds
kango

Post by kango »

Jogon wrote: slw wrote: HelloCan anyone remember any of the shops which were on the corner next to where Belinda's was located (from around the late '70's.)I have vague memories going into a shop around that area with my parents when I was quite young. (possibly some kind of furniture shop)Thanks for any info you may be able to provide. You any relation to Leon Perrin?I remember Bellindas. As to the shops, there was Watson Cairns Bike shop and Bass & Bligh the Binocular / Camera shop.http://www.bassandbligh.com/store/about/info_1.htmlOver the bridge there was a motorbike shop that had a Vincent Black Shadow in the window. Admiring that Ford Granada in your photo (how do you post a photo?)they were 'hot'. The bike in Danny corks window wasn't a black shadow it was a Comet 500 cc single or half a black shadow , spent a lot of My youth at that establishment buying stuff for My old Brit bikes.Loved Dannys way of pricing thing up, He would look at You over His glasses and say in that lovely burr of His "Right lets work it out"I think His Son Danny Jnr carried the business on mainly for trial bike stuff at the Idas Ind' estate in Stourton.Happy days.Moggy        

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi Kango my old mate all the very best to you and your family.Vincent now that was a bike if ever there was one Rapid and Black Shadow Did you every know my best mates dad Dick Emery he used to live just below Ringtons on Lady Pit lane he used to repair moter bikes or was he before your time?PS Sorry for going off the thread.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

There was (maybe still is) a shop opposite Belinda's on Lower Briggate called "Class". It used to sell menswear and it always struck me as an out of the way place for such a shop. I once bought a Sabre Saturday Shirt there (along with a whole load of inbuilt static electricity). Remember them?I think the camera shop was next door.JD

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Bought plenty of stuff at Class in the 60's.Pic here showing Class and the camera shophttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIde ... SPLAY=FULL

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Leo look, I did it.
Attachments
__TFMF_wkxwbmjlexor2euydmvzp1fo_3dd1dc62-87f2-4a64-9f4c-6b9cae247eed_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_wkxwbmjlexor2euydmvzp1fo_3dd1dc62-87f2-4a64-9f4c-6b9cae247eed_0_main.jpg (303.59 KiB) Viewed 9017 times
__TFMF_wkxwbmjlexor2euydmvzp1fo_fcd89ec8-9ceb-425a-87da-63fea589fcc0_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_wkxwbmjlexor2euydmvzp1fo_fcd89ec8-9ceb-425a-87da-63fea589fcc0_0_main.jpg (43.85 KiB) Viewed 9017 times
__TFMF_wkxwbmjlexor2euydmvzp1fo_0e0ce9af-6c84-4128-b173-e3f0875d9a59_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_wkxwbmjlexor2euydmvzp1fo_0e0ce9af-6c84-4128-b173-e3f0875d9a59_0_main.jpg (18.21 KiB) Viewed 9017 times

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Jogon wrote: Leo look, I did it. That's a cute cat. That and your avatar suggests you like cats, just as I do.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

kango

Post by kango »

tilly wrote: Hi Kango my old mate all the very best to you and your family.Vincent now that was a bike if ever there was one Rapid and Black Shadow Did you every know my best mates dad Dick Emery he used to live just below Ringtons on Lady Pit lane he used to repair moter bikes or was he before your time?PS Sorry for going off the thread.     Hi Tilly.All the best to You too Sir, Whilst I know exactly the area You describe the only Dick Emery I have heard of is the long dead comedian! Regards.Kango

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

bramleylad wrote: I remember going here in its previous guise as the Pentagon in the mid 70's. First nightclub I went to as a 16 year old. Main thing I remember from it was the low hanging lampshades over the tables which I inadvertently collided with and lost me beer!Shops opposite were Class (clothes) and Bass & Bligh (cameras) I remember it as Pentagons too, then Tramps and then Belindas (maybe in a different order but that's the names I remember) Excellent disco club in the mid 70's as Tramps. The king of disco Tom Moulton played there once, it must have been 75ish as I remember hassling him to play the extended version of Harold Melvin and The Bluenotes - "Don't Leave Me This Way".
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

biggee99

Post by biggee99 »

Ho Yes the good old days no complications then as they are today.Time flys. Take me back to the 80s im off tomorrow.
biggee

Richard A Thackeray

Post by Richard A Thackeray »

uncle mick wrote: Bought plenty of stuff at Class in the 60's.Pic here showing Class and the camera shophttp://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?resourceIde ... SPLAY=FULL I remember those shops being there, & browsing in the window of the 'Contact' at all the guitars.Here's a similar view on my 'www', just stood a bit further downhttp://news.webshots.com/photo/1138087117047309372vglsdlThe accompanying text may be wrong, but it was what I understood to be correct at the time of writing (2004, looking at the dates)