Empire Arcade

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

LS1! am i right on the location of QUASAR or am i going mad?
Love a Landrover

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Yes you're right it was there. Was on the bottom left as you looked down towards Cross Arcade. didn't last for long though! Surprise surprise.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Carlo and Jeffrey - that's the one! The photo brings it all back and as I recall, it was never very much busier than in this! - strange how some areas never properly catch on.Does anyoe remember it as the original Empire Theatre? Not somewhere I was old enough to go to (honest!) but memories of Mum and friends going there to see Ronnie Hilton.

slw

Post by slw »

Thanks for posting the photo JanCee.

simonm

Post by simonm »

My dentist was in there. Next to the newsagent, but the actual surgery bit was upstaris!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Right at the bottom was of course the MODEL shop, Loads of trains, boats & planes, I remember been dragged screaming into the mens hairdressers as a boy in the 70's which was then called Carlo & Jeffery, Bloody hated the poofy place. Shampoo & blow dry was mandatary! Then there was the good old kiosk right at the top. looking at this pic makes it hard to imagine it gone!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

Ro-Man wrote: What about Black Cat records, a second hand shop in the late 80s / early 90s? I think that was down in the bottom right hand corner.Vinyl downstairs and tapes upstairs. Not sure about CDs, as my pocket money would only stretch to tapes. That was called JUMBO Records, in the 70's I believe? When I got my first stereo, I sold loads of old 45RPM records there, to get stereo L.P.'s with the money. I remember going one time and the bastids had an RCA 45 of Elvis on sale, that I sold them for 50p the week before, priced up to £10! We'd never heard of "collectors items" back then...
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Scandy Bramley wrote: Ro-Man wrote: What about Black Cat records, a second hand shop in the late 80s / early 90s? I think that was down in the bottom right hand corner.Vinyl downstairs and tapes upstairs. Not sure about CDs, as my pocket money would only stretch to tapes. That was called JUMBO Records, in the 70's I believe? When I got my first stereo, I sold loads of old 45RPM records there, to get stereo L.P.'s with the money. I remember going one time and the bastids had an RCA 45 of Elvis on sale, that I sold them for 50p the week before, priced up to £10! We'd never heard of "collectors items" back then... thats it jumbo,my friend lent them a 'steel pulse' album,and they 'lost' it,turned out to be worth a mint.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

wiggy wrote: thats it jumbo,my friend lent them a 'steel pulse' album,and they 'lost' it,turned out to be worth a mint. Which album was that? I have most of them stashed in my cellar
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

wickedwitch

Post by wickedwitch »

chameleon wrote: Certainly an 'Alternative' clothes shop - where I got my first leather jeans from! Ah yes, Other Clothes it was called. Not as good as X Clothes mind. I still have my electric blue suede winklepicker ankle boots and pointy black flatties 24 years on that were proudly purchased from X Clothes when it used to be on Call Lane. Anyone remember the guy who used to work in X Clothes with the fabulous skunk style hair? I used to see him in the Warehouse a lot too back in the day.Proper Goth! Blimey - how old do I feel now!!