Old Restaurants

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Ruffarse

Post by Ruffarse »

Eh up Toddie,Yes, do remember George, I think he was at the El Toro next to the Peel on Boar Lane. Also, Angelo is ringing a few bells, I think he could have been the man at Carousel. A good name for the owner would have been Mr Roger Hammerstein don't you think?
Old Mods never die, they just semi retire.

Ruffarse

Post by Ruffarse »

liits wrote: Any one remember "Get Stuffed" which was a basement affair on St Paul's St. This would have been in the late 70's. I was tooo young to have been in the place, but one of my brothers worked there and gave me one of his staff shirts with the name printed on the front. Ah, the envy of my mates! See page 1 on this thread Liits, a few mentions of GS/Bistro 5 from myself and others.
Old Mods never die, they just semi retire.

jdbythesea

Post by jdbythesea »

On the subject of restaurants anyone else remember the Berni Inns in town in the 70s? I think there were three of them altogether. I can recall that the typical courses were prawn cocktail followed by steak and chips and finished off with black forest gateau. Always impressed the ladies at the time (well, my ladies anyway). I'm sure one of the Inns was on Albion Place. The others - I can't clearly remember.

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

jdbythesea wrote: On the subject of restaurants anyone else remember the Berni Inns in town in the 70s? I think there were three of them altogether. I can recall that the typical courses were prawn cocktail followed by steak and chips and finished off with black forest gateau. Always impressed the ladies at the time (well, my ladies anyway). I'm sure one of the Inns was on Albion Place. The others - I can't clearly remember. Jacomelli's was a Berni wasn't it? And there was one opposite the Town Hall I think.The White Bear at Tingley was a Berni Inn at one time. It's looking a bit the worse for wear these days. However, I went there about 3 years ago. Sirloin steak and chips for two and the best bottle of Rioja I've ever tasted for £20. Can't be bad. I think it's changed hands again since then though.

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

majorhoundii wrote: jdbythesea wrote: On the subject of restaurants anyone else remember the Berni Inns in town in the 70s? I think there were three of them altogether. I can recall that the typical courses were prawn cocktail followed by steak and chips and finished off with black forest gateau. Always impressed the ladies at the time (well, my ladies anyway). I'm sure one of the Inns was on Albion Place. The others - I can't clearly remember. Jacomelli's was a Berni wasn't it? And there was one opposite the Town Hall I think.The White Bear at Tingley was a Berni Inn at one time. It's looking a bit the worse for wear these days. However, I went there about 3 years ago. Sirloin steak and chips for two and the best bottle of Rioja I've ever tasted for £20. Can't be bad. I think it's changed hands again since then though. In the 1960s there used to be a parrot outside Jacomelli's, chained to a perch. I'm not sure whether it was supposed to squawk an advert for the restaurant, but I never heard it speak!The Berni Inn opposite the Town Hall was called The Athenaeum. It became Pastificio in the 1990s (a chain of Italian restaurants) and is now a lap-dancing club.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Tasa,I suspect that the parrot was linked to advertising for the 'Aloha Bar', which was the downstairs bar in Jacomelli's. Obviously, it was decorated and furnished like an Hawaiian bar.Ian    

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

majorhoundii wrote: jdbythesea wrote: On the subject of restaurants anyone else remember the Berni Inns in town in the 70s? I think there were three of them altogether. I can recall that the typical courses were prawn cocktail followed by steak and chips and finished off with black forest gateau. Always impressed the ladies at the time (well, my ladies anyway). I'm sure one of the Inns was on Albion Place. The others - I can't clearly remember. Jacomelli's was a Berni wasn't it? And there was one opposite the Town Hall I think.The White Bear at Tingley was a Berni Inn at one time. It's looking a bit the worse for wear these days. However, I went there about 3 years ago. Sirloin steak and chips for two and the best bottle of Rioja I've ever tasted for £20. Can't be bad. I think it's changed hands again since then though. The Athenaeum Tavern ?
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

iansmithofotley wrote: Hi Tasa,I suspect that the parrot was linked to advertising for the 'Aloha Bar', which was the downstairs bar in Jacomelli's. Obviously, it was decorated and furnished like an Hawaiian bar.Ian     Vicious little devil was that parrott!
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Johnny39 wrote: iansmithofotley wrote: Hi Tasa,I suspect that the parrot was linked to advertising for the 'Aloha Bar', which was the downstairs bar in Jacomelli's. Obviously, it was decorated and furnished like an Hawaiian bar.Ian     Vicious little devil was that parrott! Thanks Ian for that probable reason for the parrot's presence - I was too young to link it with anything other than the entrance to Jacomelli's.Johnny, I'm not surprised it was vicious - it sat out on Boar Lane day after day, just chained to a perch to be stared and poked at (most weekends by a six-year-old me)!

666Roddy

Post by 666Roddy »

Tasa wrote: majorhoundii wrote: jdbythesea wrote: On the subject of restaurants anyone else remember the Berni Inns in town in the 70s? I think there were three of them altogether. I can recall that the typical courses were prawn cocktail followed by steak and chips and finished off with black forest gateau. Always impressed the ladies at the time (well, my ladies anyway). I'm sure one of the Inns was on Albion Place. The others - I can't clearly remember. Jacomelli's was a Berni wasn't it? And there was one opposite the Town Hall I think.The White Bear at Tingley was a Berni Inn at one time. It's looking a bit the worse for wear these days. However, I went there about 3 years ago. Sirloin steak and chips for two and the best bottle of Rioja I've ever tasted for £20. Can't be bad. I think it's changed hands again since then though. In the 1960s there used to be a parrot outside Jacomelli's, chained to a perch. I'm not sure whether it was supposed to squawk an advert for the restaurant, but I never heard it speak!The Berni Inn opposite the Town Hall was called The Athenaeum. It became Pastificio in the 1990s (a chain of Italian restaurants) and is now a lap-dancing club. I believe their was several Berni Inns in Leeds.Athenaeum on the Headrow opposite Leeds Town HallThe Albion on Lands LaneJacomellis Boar Lane across from The Golden EggThe Soverign in the Seacroft Centre