Local Characters

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
farbank

Post by farbank »

Hi Stevief,The flower seller on Lands Lane was called Kenny Dobson. And he also stood outside St. James Hospital for many years. He lived for along time on St.Wilfrids Grove. And moved there in the 'Bank ' clearances in 1937. [They actually started clearing the Bank in 1935.But the St.Wilfrids scheme wasn,t completed until 37.].First hand knowledge. I was part of it all with my own family. We lived in Hugo St.

farbank

Post by farbank »

Hi Stevief,The flower seller on Lands Lane was called Kenny Dobson. And he also stood outside St. James Hospital for many years. He lived for along time on St.Wilfrids Grove. And moved there in the 'Bank ' clearances in 1937. [They actually started clearing the Bank in 1935.But the St.Wilfrids scheme wasn,t completed until 37.].First hand knowledge. I was part of it all with my own family. We lived in Hugo St.

farbank

Post by farbank »

stevief

Post by stevief »

farbank wrote: Hi Stevief,The flower seller on Lands Lane was called Kenny Dobson. And he also stood outside St. James Hospital for many years. He lived for along time on St.Wilfrids Grove. And moved there in the 'Bank ' clearances in 1937. [They actually started clearing the Bank in 1935.But the St.Wilfrids scheme wasn,t completed until 37.].First hand knowledge. I was part of it all with my own family. We lived in Hugo St. Thanks,thanks,and thrice thanks farbank!!!

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

does anyone remember seeing victory v's painted outside peoples front doors? they were still there up to the eighties,when they went overnight,at least they did in east leeds.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

farbank

Post by farbank »

Yes.! They were painted over the swastikas when everyone thought the Germans were gonna win.!

stevief

Post by stevief »

stevief wrote: farbank wrote: Hi Stevief,The flower seller on Lands Lane was called Kenny Dobson. And he also stood outside St. James Hospital for many years. He lived for along time on St.Wilfrids Grove. And moved there in the 'Bank ' clearances in 1937. [They actually started clearing the Bank in 1935.But the St.Wilfrids scheme wasn,t completed until 37.].First hand knowledge. I was part of it all with my own family. We lived in Hugo St. Thanks,thanks,and thrice thanks farbank!!! Hi farbank,I meant to ask is he still alive?

JanCee

Post by JanCee »

There was a rumour about that chap. Erm, anatomically. Was it true? I seem to recall reading in the YEP that he'd died.

farbank

Post by farbank »

Yes. Some time ago. Though he would have been in his mid-eighties by now. Poor Kenny still missed.

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

JanCee wrote: There was a rumour about that chap. Erm, anatomically. Was it true? I seem to recall reading in the YEP that he'd died. WHAT was the rumour? Do tell please, JanCee?
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.