Railway Relics of Yesteryear

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
John

Post by John »

Regards the 700 yard Richmond Hill tunnel at Marsh Lane, when Nelson pulled its train through on 22-11-1834, it was the first time a passenger train had been hauled through a tunnel by a locomotive.The rest depends upon your definition of a railway, there were cartainly plenty of waggonways with tunnels. For pukkah railways, the Liverpool & Manchester and the Canterbury & Whitstable, both opened in 1830, had tunnels but these were cable-worked.The more interesting thing about the L&S tunnel is that the arch was whitewashed to relieve the gloom.John.

Old Leo

Post by Old Leo »

The Leeds-Selby Railway was Yorkshire's first main line. According to a booklet produced in 1984 by the West Yorkshire Transport Museum to mark 150 years of the line, the opening was on 22 september, not November ashas been written.A reort in the 'Leeds Times' said that the first train of nine coaches, drawn by 'Nelson' left at 6.30 a.m.and that the first two miles took forty minutes. The train was stopped and passengers in the last carriage were removed 'to facilitate the operation of the engine. At a quarter to eight, only four miles had been traversed. Thereafter, speeds increased, the remaining 16 miles taking 65 minutes, including a 5 minute water stop at Garforth.The return journey was from 11.10 to 12.26, an average speed of 16m.p.h.The delay was explained by the fact that the axle trees were too thick for the bushes in the wheels, causing the wheels tio wedge and slip on the rails. The wheels were removed at Selby and the axle trees filed!The booklet also mentions that copper reflectors were also fitted in the tunnel at one stage, in addition to whitewash.The lines were widened and the tunnel considerably shortened in 1894.

Scandy Bramley

Post by Scandy Bramley »

Old Leo wrote: The Leeds-Selby Railway was Yorkshire's first main line. According to a booklet produced in 1984 by the West Yorkshire Transport Museum to mark 150 years of the line, the opening was on 22 september, not November ashas been written.A reort in the 'Leeds Times' said that the first train of nine coaches, drawn by 'Nelson' left at 6.30 a.m.and that the first two miles took forty minutes. The train was stopped and passengers in the last carriage were removed 'to facilitate the operation of the engine. At a quarter to eight, only four miles had been traversed. Thereafter, speeds increased, the remaining 16 miles taking 65 minutes, including a 5 minute water stop at Garforth.The return journey was from 11.10 to 12.26, an average speed of 16m.p.h.The delay was explained by the fact that the axle trees were too thick for the bushes in the wheels, causing the wheels tio wedge and slip on the rails. The wheels were removed at Selby and the axle trees filed!The booklet also mentions that copper reflectors were also fitted in the tunnel at one stage, in addition to whitewash.The lines were widened and the tunnel considerably shortened in 1894. Not much changed on the current rail services then? Any bloody excuse for a crap service eh?
You can take the lad out of Leeds - but you can't take the Leeds out of the lad.

John

Post by John »

Mea culpa on the L&S opening date. Next time I'll do a bit of proof-reading before sending.Nelson's condition on the first official train is interesting. So far as can be ascertained, the loco had its first run from Marsh Lane on Saturday the 6th September 1834. With an open carriage containing 25 unidentifed passengers, it ran for two miles and then they set off back. Unfortunately, the temporary "tender" they'd rigged up didn't have a brake and the train emerged from the tunnel running rather too fast. Fortunately, its progress was arrested by an open turnplate and, although the carriage was damaged, there were no injuries.The second recorded trip was on Thursday the 18th September, when a train containing a number of the directors and their friends made its way from Leeds to Selby at 11am. They stayed for a few hours, setting off back at 5pm, stopping several times along the way, and made Leeds just before seven. It was reported that there was not the slightest accident and the trip was perfectly satiisfactory. The line was declared fit for opening on the following Monday, the 22nd.Considering the problems encountered with Nelson on the opening day, I am inclined to wonder what had actually happened in the meantime. True, the earlier trains were relatively light, but no problems were reported with regard to the axles. On the 22nd, the loco was heard to emit "groans resembling those of an elephant," Alll very curious. Still, a good time was had by all.John.

historyman

Post by historyman »

Reginal Perrin wrote: There is still an old tramshed at the top of Wood lane in rothwell at the Jaw Bones junction with Leeds / Wakefield Road. The so call tramshed at the junction of Wood Lane/Wakefield Road at Rothwell was not so, it was infact an electric booster station, for Wakefield and Rothwell trams

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Phill_d wrote: Is there any traces of Leeds tram & rail history buried and long forgotten still out there? I know the old Marsh lane station platforms still exist 49yr's after it closed. I noticed not a lot of people have mentioned the trams, but I thought I would drop something in. Before I do though I would mention I got a copy of the Leeds Termini book from Embsay Railway Station of all places. They have an AMAZING collection of railway boks there and is well worth a day out. Not many copies of this book as it's out of print, but they can sometimes order. Anyway, I spotted this a few months back, and thanks to the trusty camera phone had to have a quick shot! Any guesses as to where???
Attachments
__TFMF_u3ryyi55owo24145x0303tun_1656e0c9-e62c-4287-830f-ecf67573831a_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_u3ryyi55owo24145x0303tun_1656e0c9-e62c-4287-830f-ecf67573831a_0_main.jpg (865.08 KiB) Viewed 2434 times

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

LS1 wrote: Phill_d wrote: Is there any traces of Leeds tram & rail history buried and long forgotten still out there? I know the old Marsh lane station platforms still exist 49yr's after it closed. I noticed not a lot of people have mentioned the trams, but I thought I would drop something in. Before I do though I would mention I got a copy of the Leeds Termini book from Embsay Railway Station of all places. They have an AMAZING collection of railway boks there and is well worth a day out. Not many copies of this book as it's out of print, but they can sometimes order. Anyway, I spotted this a few months back, and thanks to the trusty camera phone had to have a quick shot! Any guesses as to where??? The Leeds termini seems to be available in just about every good public library. I should know i've spent ages scouring over those fantastic arial shots! Superb book!
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Phill_d wrote: LS1 wrote: Phill_d wrote: Is there any traces of Leeds tram & rail history buried and long forgotten still out there? I know the old Marsh lane station platforms still exist 49yr's after it closed. I noticed not a lot of people have mentioned the trams, but I thought I would drop something in. Before I do though I would mention I got a copy of the Leeds Termini book from Embsay Railway Station of all places. They have an AMAZING collection of railway boks there and is well worth a day out. Not many copies of this book as it's out of print, but they can sometimes order. Anyway, I spotted this a few months back, and thanks to the trusty camera phone had to have a quick shot! Any guesses as to where??? The Leeds termini seems to be available in just about every good public library. I should know i've spent ages scouring over those fantastic arial shots! Superb book! Sorry Phil, I meant if you wanted to buy a copy. Not seen one in the shops, other than at Ebsay, to buy now for ages.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

LS1 wrote: Phill_d wrote: LS1 wrote: Phill_d wrote: Is there any traces of Leeds tram & rail history buried and long forgotten still out there? I know the old Marsh lane station platforms still exist 49yr's after it closed. I noticed not a lot of people have mentioned the trams, but I thought I would drop something in. Before I do though I would mention I got a copy of the Leeds Termini book from Embsay Railway Station of all places. They have an AMAZING collection of railway boks there and is well worth a day out. Not many copies of this book as it's out of print, but they can sometimes order. Anyway, I spotted this a few months back, and thanks to the trusty camera phone had to have a quick shot! Any guesses as to where??? The Leeds termini seems to be available in just about every good public library. I should know i've spent ages scouring over those fantastic arial shots! Superb book! Sorry Phil, I meant if you wanted to buy a copy. Not seen one in the shops, other than at Ebsay, to buy now for ages. Oh sorry Leeds 1. thats why i said it was in most librarys for anyone who couldn't purchase a copy! They usually re run them later (Hope they will)
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

roundhegian

Post by roundhegian »

Phill_d wrote: I don't know about the Richardshaw tram crash-But there was one @ Oakwood when the tramcar ran all the way from Roundhay park gates with no one onboard & came to grief on the bend near the Oakwood clock. The runaway started at Oakwood Clock and the tram ran about 150 yards towards Harehills . Had the runaway begun at Roundhay Park the tram would have stopped at some point on the reserved track along Princes Avenue because there was a slight upward gradient between the tram and coach parking area and the tram-stop halfway along Princess Avenue .There is a photograph in volume three of Jim Soper's " Leeds Transport "
roundhegian