Another Beck.....or stream?

Places to explore
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Cardiarms wrote: Will do, I'll do it off line and then paste to avoid the frustrations of this morning.There will be a copy of that report around, probably within 50ft of me, it's just someone doesn't dare entrust it to the archives. Good move. I've just psoted elsewhere that the problem is fixed but I'm afraid after carrying out the requested Test - the situation remains unchanged.I did write to YW nd the reply was clear that much was 'disposed of' when the site was rebuilt. It does seem odd that such a document with implications for its findings should not be retained somewhere but, the respondent was adamant. The plan showed all the culverted inflows into Wyke Beck in the area!

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Working North to South – culverted water courses entering Wyke Beck from the East:Starting in the middle of the park on Kentmere Approach, Head south west to the gap of the houses between Askett avenue and Askett Crescent. Emerges briefly on the green in Askett Crescent. Then back underground and straight sout East to the beck opposite foxwood close.Next starting at the junction of Bailey’s Hill and Bailey’s Lane, head south west between Rosgill drive and kentmere rise at the end of which it emerges for a bit, heading South east. Down the back of brroklands Lane and then straight south to South Parkway where it joins the surface water drains. Then straight down South Parkway to just below the bridge.The next one is long – so broad outline.. starting at the York Road/Ring Road Roundabout, due west , through the Stocks Rise to the York Road (old one) combined with surface water. From there South west across the field skirting the northern edge of the allotments. Then south parallel to Inglewood drive. Down to the York Road and then west along the back of the police station. Then parallel to Moreside avenue, through the back gardens and school fields. Then North East through the Foundry’s. Zig zags along the backs of Foundry Mill Street and FM Drive before heading west into the beck just below the previous discharge.From the Killing beck redevelopment the surface water does enter the beck just north of the York Road. There is a small culvert that discharges into the woods east of the pond, marked, ‘Spreads, ine effect a soakaway, with the pond acting asa holding tank before discharging with the surface water.From the allotments off green lane in Crossgates, straight north to the railway and underneath to the northside of the tracks. Straight west along the railway. Then South under the railway, at the hospital (collecting the surface water from the estate to the north east) and then head south west across the park (name?) where it picks up the outlet from some ponds. Down the back of the houses on the south side of whitebridge avenue and straight west into the beckThere’s a couple from the west side, a small culvert from the Nevilles just south of the school.I’m a bit puzzled by my colleague’s response as all this info is available on screen with a click of the mouse and all discharges are a matter of public record and consented by the EA.    

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

Cardiarms wrote: Sorry, south to Stainbeck ROAD, just to the east of Carrholm Grove, and then South East down the back of the houses, the green strip that's not been developed, allt the way to potternewton lane. I remember in the 50s as a youngster we went fishing in what we called Green Pond which I think was roughly where Carr Manor School and estate are now. So I think the beck/stream you refer to possibly flowed through this pond.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

One Beck which has defeated me is the Balm Beck. You can see the curve of it to the right of the bridge:http://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?reso ... LAY=FULLIt comes from the bottom left corner through the houseshttp://www.leodis.org/display.aspx?resourceIdentifier=3687I think the railings here might be the last evidence of it on the surface.http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... .62Various culverts and surface water can be identified from the south but once it gets to Balm road it joins the surface water system and heads of on a circuitous route that bears no relation to the orginal course and is discharged into the canal basin at Knostrop lock.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Cardiarms wrote: Working North to South – culverted water courses entering Wyke Beck from the East:Starting in the middle of the park on Kentmere Approach, Head south west to the gap of the houses between Askett avenue and Askett Crescent. Emerges briefly on the green in Askett Crescent. Then back underground and straight sout East to the beck opposite foxwood close.Next starting at the junction of Bailey’s Hill and Bailey’s Lane, head south west between Rosgill drive and kentmere rise at the end of which it emerges for a bit, heading South east. Down the back of brroklands Lane and then straight south to South Parkway where it joins the surface water drains. Then straight down South Parkway to just below the bridge.The next one is long – so broad outline.. starting at the York Road/Ring Road Roundabout, due west , through the Stocks Rise to the York Road (old one) combined with surface water. From there South west across the field skirting the northern edge of the allotments. Then south parallel to Inglewood drive. Down to the York Road and then west along the back of the police station. Then parallel to Moreside avenue, through the back gardens and school fields. Then North East through the Foundry’s. Zig zags along the backs of Foundry Mill Street and FM Drive before heading west into the beck just below the previous discharge.From the Killing beck redevelopment the surface water does enter the beck just north of the York Road. There is a small culvert that discharges into the woods east of the pond, marked, ‘Spreads, ine effect a soakaway, with the pond acting asa holding tank before discharging with the surface water.From the allotments off green lane in Crossgates, straight north to the railway and underneath to the northside of the tracks. Straight west along the railway. Then South under the railway, at the hospital (collecting the surface water from the estate to the north east) and then head south west across the park (name?) where it picks up the outlet from some ponds. Down the back of the houses on the south side of whitebridge avenue and straight west into the beckThere’s a couple from the west side, a small culvert from the Nevilles just south of the school.I’m a bit puzzled by my colleague’s response as all this info is available on screen with a click of the mouse and all discharges are a matter of public record and consented by the EA.     That's great Cardi, fits with a lot of bits for me - need to digest and relate.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Cardiarms wrote: One Beck which has defeated me is the Balm Beck. Rises in Middleton wood where you can see it today and drops down to the site of the broom colliery where it goes underground today (was used for colliery processes in the past).It used to be mainly open and fed Hunslet Lake and the blue railings are worth a visit - it's still a deep (but rubbish filled) channel draining Hunslet lake in the past.......

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Cardiarms wrote: One Beck which has defeated me is the Balm Beck. You can see the curve of it to the right of the bridge: There's some old leodis pics of the open beck along the back of industrial buildings as it heads towards the "curve" and Midland Road (which is not there today as i looked the other week). After that as you say culverted to the Aire.As this beck today disapears way back upstream and is all culverted it's well worth looking at the 1854 OS map.It's a very very industrial beck that was used extensively for industry all the way down it's course......

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Yes as you say it pretty much well used. Unusually it's actually built over as it heads north through the westland square indusctrial estate (old colliery site?) before running between the allotments and works on Middleton grove and heading north East under the motorway and the bend in Moor Road and the park. Where was the lake in the park?    

frisbee

Post by frisbee »

There was also another beck in Holbeck that run parrerel to the Hol Beck, it was called the Benyon beck and it flowed past Marshall Mills. There doesn't appear to be any trace of it now. I'm not absolutely cetain for sure but I think that it may have flowed in the opposite direction of the Hol beck and joined Hol beck at the junction of Water Lane and Springwell Road.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Cardiarms wrote: Yes as you say it pretty much well used. Unusually it's actually built over as it heads north through the westland square indusctrial estate (old colliery site?) before running between the allotments and works on Middleton grove and heading north East under the motorway and the bend in Moor Road and the park. Where was the lake in the park?     Belle Isle back ran from Miggy woods to Hunslet lake and there was another tributary from the park wood area (westland square below which is the old Beeston Colliery) coming in to it from the south west which is the one you kindly point out (there's a pic of it on Leodis running by the allotments with Parkside rugby ground in the background.The lake was smack in the middle of the current park we see today with the green grass and kids playground. It drained where the newsagents is between the buikdings where the blue railings still are.Old maps will easily show you the lake's position