Haunted places in Leeds

Hauntings, spectres and other supernatural tales
Festwerfer

Post by Festwerfer »

gothic wrote: the old school on fawcett lane wortley has a ghost. i saw it twice. the first time was during a fire the school had (electrical fault) and the second time was in the toilet. that one was the strangest becuse the man dressed in 18th century clothing walked through the wall. I told the teacher what i saw and he said that wall wasn't there when the house was built it was done when it was first opened as a school. The teacher told me that his dog did'nt like going into that area of the school. werid or what! I'm sure I read somewhere that a school around there had a fire in the late 1800's and many kids were killed I wonder is it the same place I hasten to add I don't know the school you speak of is it from the right time period.

Beefish

Post by Beefish »

Other strange events I seem to remember - Bedford Fields (now City of Leeds) school had odd things happening in it when it first opened in the 1970's. The girls' loo had a locked cupboard in it where the caretaker kept a sack of some sort of cleaning powder; sometimes noises came from this cupboard and when the girls asked the caretaker to unlock the cupboard and take a look all the powder was out of the bag and scuffed about on the floor. It couldn't have been mice because the cupboard was sealed up with no holes they could get into.The story going round the school was that the old bloke who owned the land had said no houses should be built on it when he died and the Council said " a school is not a house so we can go ahead and build there". All the kids said he was haunting the school. I have heard of an apparition wandering about in Meanwood Park but this may not be true - has anyone else out there heard this story?

Andee

Post by Andee »

Ian R P wrote: I remember a shop on Fish street that is now a hairdressers, used to be a butchers and there was a murder there in the 80's. That may have a connection. I think it was a baker's shop not a butcher's because my uncle used to work there. I can't remember any details though.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

I visited a tunnel the other day.. Although it's not in Leeds & i didn't see a ghost it had a really bad feel to it i wasn't sure why . I've been in many dark places before but i commented to my companion that day i wasn't too happy down there.. It had a real thick grey mist & the place was deathly silent unlike most tunnels with plenty of echoes. It wasn't untill a few days after i'd been down when i was looking on the internet for some of it's history that i found out there was a bad accident in there during it's construction. If anybody likes the spooky tales thay can have a look at my Clayton fright night shots here.. http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/set ... 33/detail/
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Squatch_11

Post by Squatch_11 »

I've never seen anything really spooky first hand, but I work at Scarcroft, in the old YE building, and there were some stories I was party to some years ago:1) In a building called Woodlands, at the side of Wetherby Road, a cleaner was walking up the stairs to the first floor landing. As she drew level with the floor on her way up, an "apparition" sailed past her and through a locked office door. It was a woman in Victorian dress. The cleaner was none too thrilled!2) In the same building, on the same floor, but on the other side of the office, was a filing room, with a dozen filing cabinets or so. One day, one of the clerks came running into our office sobbing saying something was in one of the cupboards. As the only bloke in the office at the time, I went and had a look and there was nothing going on. But when I opened one of these cupboards, it looked like it'd been turned upside down a couple of times, all the paperwork just fell out. Very odd.3) In South Lodge (a little old gatehouse next to Woodlands), the upstairs was used as a hotdesking area. We used to store boxes and stuff in the old living room downstairs, and we heard someone typing upstairs. My boss shouted up hello, and didn't get an answer, so she went up, to find that all the computers were off, and in fact disconnected. And there is only one staircase out of that office, and no one had come down it!4) In the old main office, apparently there was a ghost that haunted the vending machines, and made them go round and round. When the catering staff told "George" off, apparently they stopped. Whether this was a tale to scare the trainees, I can only guess, but the catering staff seemed to believe it.Hope that was of some interest to someone!!

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

I remember that murder in the 80's and yes it was in the butchers shop!! Just on the left as you go down the side of the Yorkshire bank. We used to get our sausages from there! Skinners rings a bell? I think it was two names, but Skinners was one of them. Anybody know?

JanCee

Post by JanCee »

I saw - well I hesitate to call it a ghost - something at our youth club. It was Middleton Hall 'Miggy Hall' as we knew it at the edge of East End Park near Ivy Street.The unused upstairs was reputed to be haunted so we all trooped up there one night and held hands in the dark. The youth leader sat in the 'haunted chair', a wooden chair with a cross cut out of the back panel. After about five minutes everyone had started joking about and making 'Wooo' noises, but then Dave started to breathe very heavily. It was a freezing night and we could see his breath in the air thanks to the moonlight outside. He started tearing at his collar as if he couldn't breathe and fell to the floor. Someone switched the light on and everyone rushed to try and help him. He came round quite quickly but couldn't remember what had happened. We didn't go upstairs after that.

simonm

Post by simonm »

I was the manager of the Albion pub, on Armley road for a few years and, not suprisingly, it appears to be haunted. Locals claimed to have seen / heard things over the years, but was all taken with a large pinch of salt!! However, one night, whilst working in the cellar, long after the pub had shut, I heard a loud bang from the cold celler (celler was huge and divided into two areas, divided with a sliding door). When I slid open the door, into the cold storage section, a full barrel had, somehow, gone over on it's side, rolled across the floor of the celler, over a drain culvert and stood up again on the other side of the celler. To this day I have never been able to work out how such a heavy object could manage that. Loads of other things I witnessed as well!!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

franwick

Post by franwick »

Interesting to see miggy hall mentioned there. I also used to go to that youth club many moons ago. In fact i was down that way a few weeks ago taking pictures and was very surprised to see the ruins of some very old building - could have been miggy hall - i couldn`t remember the exact location. Creepy though. Miggy hall was - well - to put it mildly - a bit of a scary place wasn`t it ?Great to hear all these stories firsthand - keep em comin !Love the one about the palace pub ! Makes you want to get in there !( and just when you think you`re the only one with an eerie story to tell and you`re afraid everyone would think you`re a bit mad if you told them about it eh....? )
fran

the wicked twitch

Post by the wicked twitch »

When I was studying I worked part time in a pub called 'The Bridge' at the end of call lane. The staff there all talked about sightings of someone in a couple of the spare rooms on the 1st floor and strange things that would happen in the cellar while they were changing barrells.I never saw whoever it was upstairs but it did feel very eery up there. As for the cellar, I was witness to crates and barrels being tipped over by something but with vibrations from loud music in the bar maybe this can be explained away???I like to believe in the supernatural side of things though!
The Wicked Twitch of the West