Coffee Bars in the 60's

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

chameleon wrote: uncle mick wrote: Just a guess-- Hellenic ??? much talked about higher up if interested Where. I know i'm old but point me in the right direction

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

uncle mick wrote: chameleon wrote: uncle mick wrote: Just a guess-- Hellenic ??? much talked about higher up if interested Where. I know i'm old but point me in the right direction Hi,You are looking for old threads containing the text "Hellenic"Just click on "search" in the menu bar at the top of the page.You get a new page - Your Search Querytext Type "hellenic" in the empty box alongside "Enter Keywords"Click on Search! and you should get 2 old threads which have mentioned hellenic.The main one ishttp://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messages.aspx ... Light=1The other one is "Vicar Lane Bus Station" -now a current thread.Hope this helps.    
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

alanlad

Post by alanlad »

I wonder if it was the Carousel opposite The Grand Theatre. that was basement coffee bar; one of our favourite haunts along with The Flamenco next to the Wrens nearby.Also, re Legard's buses. I was in Cromell Road hospital in Harrogate with Tommy Ledgard in 1961. A real gent he was. I remember they made a stool for him, just the correct height to take the weight off his feet. Think they ran out of, or along, King Street, home of the Metropole Hotel and the long since gone Tapp & Toothills'.
Don't count the days; make the days count!

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

alanlad wrote: I wonder if it was the Carousel opposite The Grand Theatre. that was basement coffee bar; one of our favourite haunts along with The Flamenco next to the Wrens nearby.Also, re Legard's buses. I was in Cromell Road hospital in Harrogate with Tommy Ledgard in 1961. A real gent he was. I remember they made a stool for him, just the correct height to take the weight off his feet. Think they ran out of, or along, King Street, home of the Metropole Hotel and the long since gone Tapp & Toothills'. Thanks for that suggestion. The Carousel does ring a bell. Do you know if it had a greek connection?
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Hollie

Post by Hollie »

There are some good pics on Facebook if you type in Leeds Cafes remembered by Don. It shows the Helenic which is still open and some more from the sixties and earlier.
xxx

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Hollie wrote: There are some good pics on Facebook if you type in Leeds Cafes remembered by Don. It shows the Helenic which is still open and some more from the sixties and earlier. There was a coffee bar on Kirkstall Rd. Not far from the viaduct ,on the right hand side going into Leeds. Can't remember what it's name was,but remember going in a few times. Unfortunately, I was not impressed by the coffee culture in those days as I was just graduating onto Melbourne Bitter in The Castleton Inn, on Armly Rd.Nectar!
ex-Armley lad

Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

stutterdog wrote: Hollie wrote: There are some good pics on Facebook if you type in Leeds Cafes remembered by Don. It shows the Helenic which is still open and some more from the sixties and earlier. There was a coffee bar on Kirkstall Rd. Not far from the viaduct ,on the right hand side going into Leeds. Can't remember what it's name was,but remember going in a few times. Unfortunately, I was not impressed by the coffee culture in those days as I was just graduating onto Melbourne Bitter in The Castleton Inn, on Armly Rd.Nectar! Hi stut,my brother used to wait on in the Castleton in the very early 60's and used to do allright for tips.He once told me a tale about getting chased up Canal Rd by the Tomato Dip lot,I think this may be the cafe you are on about but may be wrong.
"always expect the unexpected"

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

[quotenick="stutterdogThere was a coffee bar on Kirkstall Rd. Not far from the viaduct ,on the right hand side going into Leeds. Can't remember what it's name was,but remember going in a few times. The Tomato Dip was on Kirkstall Road (right hand side going in) and was somewhere near the LCT Bus Works. It was open 24 hours, and you encountered "all sorts" on a nocturnal visit there [See you at Bramley tonight if you read this in time.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Leeds-lad wrote: stutterdog wrote: Hollie wrote: There are some good pics on Facebook if you type in Leeds Cafes remembered by Don. It shows the Helenic which is still open and some more from the sixties and earlier. There was a coffee bar on Kirkstall Rd. Not far from the viaduct ,on the right hand side going into Leeds. Can't remember what it's name was,but remember going in a few times. Unfortunately, I was not impressed by the coffee culture in those days as I was just graduating onto Melbourne Bitter in The Castleton Inn, on Armly Rd.Nectar! Hi stut,my brother used to wait on in the Castleton in the very early 60's and used to do allright for tips.He once told me a tale about getting chased up Canal Rd by the Tomato Dip lot,I think this may be the cafe you are on about but may be wrong. Hi Hollie, sounds like thats the one! Did your brother happen to know the landlords name .I think it was Leo?
ex-Armley lad

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

BLAKEY wrote: [quotenick="stutterdogThere was a coffee bar on Kirkstall Rd. Not far from the viaduct ,on the right hand side going into Leeds. Can't remember what it's name was,but remember going in a few times. The Tomato Dip was on Kirkstall Road (right hand side going in) and was somewhere near the LCT Bus Works. It was open 24 hours, and you encountered "all sorts" on a nocturnal visit there [See you at Bramley tonight if you read this in time.Hi there BlakeyHow nice it was to meet you at last and to be able to put a name to a face! I dont know if the cafe was the tomato dip as it had an espresso coffee m/c? It did not seem like a greasy spoon sort of place?But it is a long time ago!
ex-Armley lad