Dialect/slang

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Si wrote: I can't rememnber if this one has already been posted, but I've just come across it in a comment on Leodis:"Messages." Basic day-to-day shopping - bread, milk, eggs, butter, etc.Anyone know it? Errands in Morley.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

Si wrote: I can't rememnber if this one has already been posted, but I've just come across it in a comment on Leodis:"Messages." Basic day-to-day shopping - bread, milk, eggs, butter, etc.Anyone know it? The only person I've heard say that is my friend from Gateshead,when she moved down here she got a very strange look when she went to the fish shop and asked for a "paper",apparently that's fish and chips wrapped up in her language

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

Si wrote: I can't rememnber if this one has already been posted, but I've just come across it in a comment on Leodis:"Messages." Basic day-to-day shopping - bread, milk, eggs, butter, etc.Anyone know it? We have old friends in Scotland (It's True!!!) whoSay 'Messages' for errands

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Lilysmum wrote: Si wrote: I can't rememnber if this one has already been posted, but I've just come across it in a comment on Leodis:"Messages." Basic day-to-day shopping - bread, milk, eggs, butter, etc.Anyone know it? The only person I've heard say that is my friend from Gateshead,when she moved down here she got a very strange look when she went to the fish shop and asked for a "paper",apparently that's fish and chips wrapped up in her language In Morley the free bits of batter are called scraps - the same in Leeds?In Dewsbury and surrounding area they're called "bits" -there's even a chippy in Mirfield called "wiBits" In Wigan where I've spent a lot of time what we in Morley call scraps they call scratchings.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Bramleygal

Post by Bramleygal »

Scraps in Leeds, or at least in Bramley.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

The cut off between 'scraps' and 'bits' appears to be somewhere on Leeds Road between Morley and Birstall. I've not heard 'paper' in Gateshead, but I have been asked if I want batter on me fish and chips. Well, duh, yeah. Has anyone mentioned the saying, 'fish and dirks'? Used to hear that a lot when I was small.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Geordie-exile wrote: The cut off between 'scraps' and 'bits' appears to be somewhere on Leeds Road between Morley and Birstall. I've not heard 'paper' in Gateshead, but I have been asked if I want batter on me fish and chips. Well, duh, yeah. Has anyone mentioned the saying, 'fish and dirks'? Used to hear that a lot when I was small. I've heard fish and nerksNothing they do in Gateshead surprises me. I once asked for a ham sandwich in a shop and the woman behind the counter said did I want pease puddin on it!
Industria Omnia Vincit

Bramleygal

Post by Bramleygal »

I thought it was fish and erks.

slw

Post by slw »

Or fish & murphs

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

slw wrote: Or fish & murphs The fellow that fronts Saturday Kitchen last Sat. James Martin was cooking a piece of haddock. He used the word "scraps",referring to bits of floating batter.He comes from the Scarborough area I believe.So it's not a Leeds word by any means.    
ex-Armley lad