Dialect/slang

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

One of Alfie's lines wasQuestioner: What's your name lad?Alfie: Alf HallQuestioner: It's alright - we'll pick you up!
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I was in Majorca last week and there was a bar near us with menus in various languages. Two of them were Danish and Swedish. The Children's menu in both languages was Barns Menu, barn presumably meaning child, which of course (certainly in Morley "'es nobbut a barn") is the word for a child.I may have posted this before but "Lego" is based on the Scandanavian word "lech" for play, and once again of course "laik" is our local dialect word.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I came across this book on Google which may interest some of you.It is dialect and slang of Leeds from the 19th century:http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Uo4S ... f=falseyou can download it for free.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Steve Jones wrote: I came across this book on Google which may interest some of you.It is dialect and slang of Leeds from the 19th century:http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Uo4S ... f=falseyou can download it for free. It reads a bit like John Hartley's "Clock Almanac" which was all in Yorkshire dialect. I have a copy somewhere. It was pubished in Bradford annually, but I think this pre-dates it.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Si

Post by Si »

Very interesting, Steve. I noticed on the title page that it makes mention of "folk-lore of the district." I don't suppose anyone's read the whole thing and found a mention of the Crown and Fleece skulls, by any chance?It's dated MDCCCLXII - 1862 I believe. The pages are also dotted with proof-reader's hand written marks for some reason.

Dobbie54

Post by Dobbie54 »

Going back to the Jimmy Clitheroe link.I saw him at the Alhambra in Tom Thumb.Iused to think he was great and loved his TV shows and looked forward to Sunday lunch times on the radio.Have a look on You tube there are a few items on there about him.One of Danny Ross's sayings was "Where's me shirt"
Bramley born and bred

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

Dobbie54 wrote: Going back to the Jimmy Clitheroe link.I saw him at the Alhambra in Tom Thumb.Iused to think he was great and loved his TV shows and looked forward to Sunday lunch times on the radio.Have a look on You tube there are a few items on there about him.One of Danny Ross's sayings was "Where's me shirt" Hi Dobbie54, I have a feeling it was Ken Dodd used tosay,"Where's me shirt?" in a Scouse accent. Mebbe he pinched the line from Danny Ross! (Mebbe my ancient recall systemain't so accute these days!)

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Right as ever Arry lad.WHERE'S ME SHIRT ?Ken Dodd - 1965Well it all began in the year of oneWhen Adam was the first manAnd a girl called Eve, so we believeWas made to be his womanShe led him up the Garden of Eden, by a treeThen she offered him her appleAnd he cried out suddenly (eee-eeee-eeeee)SPOKEN (Liverpool Accent):Where's me shirt?Where's me shirt?I feel a proper twazzer without me shirtI've got me tickling-tackle and me nicky-nocky-nooBut I must confess I feel undressedLike this, in front of youSPOKEN (Liverpool Accent):Where's me shirt?I can't find me shirt anywhere. It's twenty-five past fivein the Garden of Eden and I can't find me shirt. Fancyleaving me in a garden with no shirt on, like this. Lookat all these creepy-crawly things here. Ooh, look, there'sa serpent. Go 'way. Go 'way you nasty old serpent. Go on,shoo! Go on, shoo!Since the days of old, we've all been toldOf men like BonaperteHis great retreat and his first defeatWas the thing that broke his heartHe stuck just outside Moscow and then made historyHe stuck his hand inside his coatAnd cried out bitterly (eee-eeee-eeeee)SPOKEN (Liverpool Accent):Where's me shirt?Where's me shirt?I can't go on like zis, wizout my shirtI've had my tickle-tonic on my nicky-nocky-neeBut I just can't go through all this snowWithout a shirt on meSPOKEN (Liverpool Accent):Where's me shirt?Oh, sacre blue. Sacre flippin' blue, where's me shirt? ByJove, t'ain't 'alf frosty. Ooh, ooh, this tent isn't 'alfdrafty. I don't know where the draft's comin' from, but Iknow where it's goin' to.Back in eighty-one, in the mid-day sunIn Tombstone, one SeptemberWyatt Earp was due to go intoA gunfight he'd rememberThe Clanton's and McLourys started firin' suddenlyAs the gunsmoke cleared and the twonsfolk cheeredWyatt Earp said quietly (eee-eeee-eeeee)SPOKEN (Liverpool Accent):Where's me shirt?Where's me shirt?I feel a proper twit without me shirtI've lost me ticklin'-tackle and me nicky-nocky-neeBut I feel a twerp, me Wyatt EarpWith my shirt shot off o' meSPOKEN (Liverpool Accent):Ere, where's me shirt?Where's me gunfightin' shirt? Ooh, I say, here comes theIndians. 'Ere, you be careful where you're shootin' thosearrows. Where's me shirt? Where's me shir... I can't findme shirt anywhere. D'you know, I'm sure I had it when Icame out. Where's me shirt?http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs ... hirt.shtml

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

Geordie-exile wrote: Right as ever Arry lad.Whew! Thanks G.E! Thought I was losing it agen! (Me shairrt!)notice the scouse pronunciation!? lolNot seen or heard that 'parable' before. Many thanks.Ken always was brilliant. Still is,of course!Cheers. 'ArryWHERE'S ME SHIRT ?Ken Dodd - 1965Well it all began in the year of oneWhen Adam was the first manAnd a girl called Eve, so we believeWas made to be his womanShe led him up the Garden of Eden, by a treeThen she offered him her appleAnd he cried out suddenly (eee-eeee-eeeee)SPOKEN (Liverpool Accent):Where's me shirt?Where's me shirt?I feel a proper twazzer without me shirtI've got me tickling-tackle and me nicky-nocky-nooBut I must confess I feel undressedLike this, in front of youSPOKEN (Liverpool Accent):Where's me shirt?I can't find me shirt anywhere. It's twenty-five past fivein the Garden of Eden and I can't find me shirt. Fancyleaving me in a garden with no shirt on, like this. Lookat all these creepy-crawly things here. Ooh, look, there'sa serpent. Go 'way. Go 'way you nasty old serpent. Go on,shoo! Go on, shoo!Since the days of old, we've all been toldOf men like BonaperteHis great retreat and his first defeatWas the thing that broke his heartHe stuck just outside Moscow and then made historyHe stuck his hand inside his coatAnd cried out bitterly (eee-eeee-eeeee)SPOKEN (Liverpool Accent):Where's me shirt?Where's me shirt?I can't go on like zis, wizout my shirtI've had my tickle-tonic on my nicky-nocky-neeBut I just can't go through all this snowWithout a shirt on meSPOKEN (Liverpool Accent):Where's me shirt?Oh, sacre blue. Sacre flippin' blue, where's me shirt? ByJove, t'ain't 'alf frosty. Ooh, ooh, this tent isn't 'alfdrafty. I don't know where the draft's comin' from, but Iknow where it's goin' to.Back in eighty-one, in the mid-day sunIn Tombstone, one SeptemberWyatt Earp was due to go intoA gunfight he'd rememberThe Clanton's and McLourys started firin' suddenlyAs the gunsmoke cleared and the twonsfolk cheeredWyatt Earp said quietly (eee-eeee-eeeee)SPOKEN (Liverpool Accent):Where's me shirt?Where's me shirt?I feel a proper twit without me shirtI've lost me ticklin'-tackle and me nicky-nocky-neeBut I feel a twerp, me Wyatt EarpWith my shirt shot off o' meSPOKEN (Liverpool Accent):Ere, where's me shirt?Where's me gunfightin' shirt? Ooh, I say, here comes theIndians. 'Ere, you be careful where you're shootin' thosearrows. Where's me shirt? Where's me shir... I can't findme shirt anywhere. D'you know, I'm sure I had it when Icame out. Where's me shirt?http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs ... hirt.shtml

stutterdog

Post by stutterdog »

Si wrote: Very interesting, Steve. I noticed on the title page that it makes mention of "folk-lore of the district." I don't suppose anyone's read the whole thing and found a mention of the Crown and Fleece skulls, by any chance?It's dated MDCCCLXII - 1862 I believe. The pages are also dotted with proof-reader's hand written marks for some reason. It's amazing how our local dialect has changed in so short a time ,don't you think?On reading your link I found it very difficult to decypher. I once read a book that my mother recommended called The Crowthers of Bankdam.This was written in the 19th century I believe and in Yorkshire dialect of that time.A great read and I am surprised it was never made into a TV seriel.It was similar to the Forsite Saga but not as posh!
ex-Armley lad