POW Camps in Leeds

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
wiggy

Post by wiggy »

TomD wrote: I was always under the illusion that Waterloo Lake in Roundhay Park was dug by POW's...I dont have any info about your query though... I've been to post hill a few times, but I never gave it any thought.Perhaps there is a clue in the name, anyone know why its called "Post Hill"? waterloo lake was dug by the soldiers returning from the 1815 battle,hence-waterloo lake.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Si

Post by Si »

I'm told there was a camp for German POWs in Otley. The officers were held where Throstle Nest Close is now, and the other ranks were over Weston Lane on Weston Estate. They used to march the prisoners there from Otley station through the streets of the town. However, there doesn't appear to be any evidence of huts, etc at all. CheersSi

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

MunkiI notice my posting ref POW's at Woolley's brickworks in Swinnowdated 31st May 07 is AWOL! Any Reason?Arry Awk

Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Si wrote: I'm told there was a camp for German POWs in Otley. The officers were held where Throstle Nest Close is now, and the other ranks were over Weston Lane on Weston Estate. They used to march the prisoners there from Otley station through the streets of the town. However, there doesn't appear to be any evidence of huts, etc at all. CheersSi My understanding is that the German POWs built the huts on the site of Wharfedale General Hospital and after the war they were used as part of the hospital. They've re-developed the site now so they will all have disappeared.
http://www.siddles.me.ukYou can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.Stan Laurel.

ozzielane

Post by ozzielane »

i think there was a p.o.w. camp down near the old skelton grange power station and sewage works...we used to play in the old ruins when i was a kid.

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

wasn't there a 'displaced persons' camp' in leeds as well?I was always under the impression that it was in the stourton area-but this is a vague meorydisplaced persons were eatern europeans who had served in the uk aremed forces and didn't ant to go back, or who had fled europe rathewr than live under the russians-I think.many poles from thse camps went to work in the coal industry.
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Hi MunkiI see my posting on 31st May 07 has been deleted AGAIN!Why does this happen? Please reinstate if poss!CheersArry Awk

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

ozzielane wrote: i think there was a p.o.w. camp down near the old skelton grange power station and sewage works...we used to play in the old ruins when i was a kid. so did we...we called it the army camp.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

wayniac

Post by wayniac »

wiggy wrote: ozzielane wrote: i think there was a p.o.w. camp down near the old skelton grange power station and sewage works...we used to play in the old ruins when i was a kid. so did we...we called it the army camp. It was both an army camp and a POW camp.The whole area used to be a farm before the war. My Dad's uncle owned the farm, he used to ride horses there when he was a kid.We have a tray with an engraving which was left to my Aunty Mary by her Aunt Eliza. The tray was a thankyou gift from the army for the use of the farm during the mobilisation of the armed forces in 1938.My Dad's uncle adopted a son and when he died, the farm passed to the son. I think the place was actually owned by the Halifax estate. The farm became Austin's farm.The camp was an army camp until the late 60's. I used to go tadpole fishing between the big stand of trees and the camp fence. There was a truck bogged in the pond for ages and eventually the army pulled it out. There used to be huge clumps of Rooks nests in the trees there.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Steven wrote: Sorry, it's unpublished I'm afraid. She's not really tried to get it published, more of a personal archive of memories for her family to enjoy.Who knows, we may get her to send it out eventually, it's only short and would be perfect for Readers Digest, or something like that.Thanks for the interest.Steven Thought about getting it in at one of the Leeds Libraries? I often see memoirs there from random people that are extremely intersting and quite rightly are preserved for posterity.