Yorkshire Evening Post

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

raveydavey wrote: chameleon wrote: There is an advertising feature (though I'm not sure what it's advertising) in the Weekly news if anyone still gets it pushed into their letter box, entitled A City at War.Short but some interesting snips but, not without the errors inherent to this group -Sandbags doubled in price from 2d to 4d as....supply ....exceeded demand.Lets all hope for shortages in other areas now when prices will of course be halved as demand exceeds supply The Leeds Weekly News - where I live that could be another entry on the "Things you don't see anymore thread".In fact it's over a decade since a copy has been delivered round here, which makes a complete mockery of the council using it to publish official council notices.. Actually had more than two sheets of paper in it this week - obviously sold more advertising ....The best thing about it these days is the dedication of the young lad who delivers ours, been doing it for some time now relentlessly, never missing come hail or shine with a little bit of help from Dad I think when the road is closed with snow. Not many like him.

simong

Post by simong »

Other editions are certainly alive and well - the Pudsey Times comes to my girlfriend's house on a Wednesday, and the Wharfe Valley Times comes to my house on Thursdays. The latter only started again a couple of years ago, and while it got down to about 12 pages a while back, is getting house adverts again.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

We get somethign called the Rothwell and Disctrict Express which basically seesm tobe a thinned down, advert heavy Wakefield Express with very little to do with Rothwell at all.What is the legal situation with dropping any old rubbish such as this through letter boxes, is it not essentially littering?
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Reginal Perrin wrote: We get somethign called the Rothwell and Disctrict Express which basically seesm tobe a thinned down, advert heavy Wakefield Express with very little to do with Rothwell at all.What is the legal situation with dropping any old rubbish such as this through letter boxes, is it not essentially littering? No. I'm thinking of getting a sign made up -'Please place all circulars in the large green post box next to the garage'

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

According to the YEP tonight the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) "was rescued with £20m of public money".The author of said article is our number one journo, Debbie Leigh.Methinks someone is missing a zero or two there. Still millions, billions - it's all money isn't it?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

raveydavey wrote: According to the YEP tonight the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) "was rescued with £20m of public money".The author of said article is our number one journo, Debbie Leigh.Methinks someone is missing a zero or two there. Still millions, billions - it's all money isn't it? (mcp mode) she is a woman. The home rugby Unions get £25 m off RBS (our money ) for the 6 nations.If they only needed £20m theres an economy they could've made for starters
Industria Omnia Vincit

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

daver wrote: The one with the boys playing marbles is taken on Rosebank View What with the gradient of the street and the cobblestones its a tribute to the young lads that they were able to secure any "strikes" at all - I'm not a bowler but the term "bias" springs to mind      A fabulous picture just full of "atmosphere" and a reminder of times which were much better in many ways, but far worse in others. At least these kids had no need to worry about stolen uninsured Fiestas etc screeching round the corner containing four or five drugged up unlicensed "indescribables" arrogantly sneering at The World.    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Trojan wrote: raveydavey wrote: According to the YEP tonight the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) "was rescued with £20m of public money".The author of said article is our number one journo, Debbie Leigh.Methinks someone is missing a zero or two there. Still millions, billions - it's all money isn't it? (mcp mode) she is a woman. The home rugby Unions get £25 m off RBS (our money ) for the 6 nations.If they only needed £20m theres an economy they could've made for starters I presume that it must be contractual. If RBS has been signing new sponsorship deals it should be brough to task.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Reginal Perrin wrote: Trojan wrote: raveydavey wrote: According to the YEP tonight the Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) "was rescued with £20m of public money".The author of said article is our number one journo, Debbie Leigh.Methinks someone is missing a zero or two there. Still millions, billions - it's all money isn't it? (mcp mode) she is a woman. The home rugby Unions get £25 m off RBS (our money ) for the 6 nations.If they only needed £20m theres an economy they could've made for starters I presume that it must be contractual. If RBS has been signing new sponsorship deals it should be brough to task. After RBS nearly went t!ts up and had to be rescued by the government I would have said all bets are off. I certainly don't take too kindly to the RFU getting any more of my tax money than they already do through Sport England.
Industria Omnia Vincit

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

Reginal Perrin wrote: We get somethign called the Rothwell and Disctrict Express which basically seesm tobe a thinned down, advert heavy Wakefield Express with very little to do with Rothwell at all.What is the legal situation with dropping any old rubbish such as this through letter boxes, is it not essentially littering? Hi Reginal Perrin even the post man now puts junk through the letter box.Twice this week we have had junk mail put through our letter box three items one day and two the next, none had our address on it whats all this about.I am thinking about saveing it untill i get a big amount then putting it in a letter box see what they make of that.