Yorkshire Evening Post

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

More proof the "Evening" part of the name is a complete joke. On the way out on Saturday morning just after 9.00 my wife nipped into the local convenience store to pick up the Wakefield Express (published weekly on Thursday's) and our Saturday papers. We were in a bit of a hurry at the time so it was only when we got home that she noticed she had picked up a paper with a similar banner. Wakefield Express appears as a blue banner http://www.wakefieldexpress.co.uk/You guessed it it was the YEP on sale in Wakefield at 9.00am on Saturday morning. I thought for a minute it must be Friday's that they were still selling but no it was Saturday's. Its 30 years since I had a paper round delivering the YEP. From memory it was rare for the weekday YEP to be delivered by 4.00 and regularly it was well after 5.00. Saturday I was usually late if I turned up at 4.00 as it very rarely was delivered that late but never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I could be delivering at 9.00am
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Stopped buying it other than on the odd Monday for Leeds reports. You can get much better on-line anyway. It's like local TV, the quality is poor. McPhee is not a journalist, he rarely writes anything of interest, he's a columnist but one with no style or committed stance to warrant a column. I mean, who cares what Rod MCPhee thinks? I'm not having a pop at him, I'm sure he's a nice lad but to have a column in a newspaper you need more than he offers.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

simong

Post by simong »

Not that I'm defending the YEP but an early first edition isn't unusual. I think it's been mentioned here before that the district editions are published and distributed early, and my guess is that on Saturday the presses are being sublet to one of the national Sundays. Having said that, the first edition of the London Evening Standard is on the streets at 10am, and is the popular one for house hunting.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

I don't know about you but, to me, Video means moving images usually portraying some degree of movement.YEP think otherwise. Click on one of their on-line videos and like as not you'll be treated to a show of the camera man zooming in and out of a series of still photographs with the libido of a snail! Rather misleading in enticing you in perhaps.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

With the recent passing of Keith Waterhouse, and of course Willis Hall before him, that got me to wondering - are any of the current YEP staffers up to following in their illustrious footsteps?Tonights incisive Debbie Leigh column included a fascinating titbits about possibly playing music a bit too loudly and much banging on about the Kings Of Leon's "latest" album (the one that has been out for about a year...). Then she moans about an overpriced chocolate shop she often pops in to for a free "sample" without actually buying owt has removed said samples from the counter (they probably saw her approaching and hid them).I can see her Pullitzer heading down Wellington Street as we speak
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

kango

Post by kango »

Poor old Rod "LEEDS -TILL-I-DIE-THIS-IS-MY-CITY" Mcphee.Don't be too hard on one of NOTTINGHAMSHIRES!! lesser known sons.He may end up calling Us what He calls anyone who disagrees with him,a bunch of moaning Albert Steptoes!!    

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

kango wrote: Poor old Rod "LEEDS -TILL-I-DIE-THIS-IS-MY-CITY" Mcphee.Don't be too hard on one of NOTTINGHAMSHIRES!! lesser known sons.He may end up calling Us what He calls anyone who disagrees him,a bunch of moaning Albert Steptoes!! I may have been a bit harsh on the lad but I think he has been promoted prematurely to columnist status. Yougsters don't buy newspapers and he is squarely aimed at the hip 20 something briggade. Age is no barrier to being funny or a good writer. Charlie Brooker in the Guardian, Giles Coren in the Times and David Mitchell the comedian all write superbly well, are under 40 and have something to say. Rod I'm afraid just doesn't really cut it for me.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

kango

Post by kango »

Agreed Reginal, promoted way above His ability.

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Not sure that this is the correct thread to be using but it does concern a former photographer at the YEP in its better days. Try paulberriff.com and click on VINTAGE to see a series of pix of Leeds street scenes from the 60's. There are other interesting photos too.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Not sure that this is the correct thread to be using but it does concern a former photographer at the YEP in its better days. Try paulberriff.com and click on VINTAGE to see a series of pix of Leeds street scenes from the 60's. There are other interesting photos too.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?