Info needed: Barnbow pit/Barrowby lane (calling the Chameleon)

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Hi guys.I've just had a look at the old shaft in the woods just off Barrowby lane.The pics are on my first page herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/As you know there is very little documented on the net about any Leeds pits.I think most of it is here on S.L to be honest.Does anyone have any specific info on this particular Barrowby lane shaft? All help is great. i.e depth, date constructed, closed. What was the purpose of the shaft e.t.c.We did see something that looked interesting. I'd just like to build up a bigger picture about it first.Cheers P.s thanks for the directions Chameleon     
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

Brunel

Post by Brunel »

Some of the spoil heaps look interesting as well.The famous red shale makes an appearance.
Attachments
__TFMF_e5zowifp4rxyke55wr12v345_31ba6265-6cd6-497a-a95f-82acb015e1c2_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_e5zowifp4rxyke55wr12v345_31ba6265-6cd6-497a-a95f-82acb015e1c2_0_main.jpg (419.01 KiB) Viewed 2189 times

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Glad you found it Phill - I do wonder how many people walk past it time and again and never realise it's there!It has sunk somewhat and that did concern me at tfirst because so many of these were simply capped-off over timber beams and, we know that one in the locallity did fail and open up. I have it on what I believe to be reasonable authority though that this one was back-filled.There were of course several shafts in the immediate area including one close to Austhorpe Hall, as well as bell pits, but I believe they belonged to different collieries and they were well served with connections to the railway. Do I remeber a strange feature in the brickwork of the back wall of the shaft which you've noticed?Parksider is a greater authority than I on this and I may well mis-quote him if I tried to reguretate his input! Have another look at the earlier coalmining thread, there's quite a bit in there as I recall.The last time I was in Cross Gates Library (notice I instinctively wrote that as two words - the way it was done wen i wus a lad )the ELHAS had a map of the area on display in the side room dedicated to local history, it's always open, would be worth a visit I think.Old Maps - http://www.old-maps.co.uk/shows alot of detail of the area and its possible to pin down when the woods were planted which was of course after closure but, can't get into it tonight!! Some of the old family were I think mimers in the area, some living in the cottages at the Hall and possibly others in Brown Moor cCottages. Drop an email if there's anything more specific Phill    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

I'll dig my maps out tomorrow and see if there's anything else to be gleaned. Read this one:http://www.secretleeds.co.uk/forum/Mess ... ghLight=1I need some sleep

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Hi guys.I've just had a look at the old shaft in the woods just off Barrowby lane.The pics are on my first page herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/As you know there is very little documented on the net about any Leeds pits.I think most of it is here on S.L to be honest.Does anyone have any specific info on this particular Barrowby lane shaft? All help is great. i.e depth, date constructed, closed. What was the purpose of the shaft e.t.c.We did see something that looked interesting. I'd just like to build up a bigger picture about it first.Cheers P.s thanks for the directions Chameleon      Thanks to Chameleon for wrongly stating to my delight I'm more than an authority than him!The pit is the West Yorkshire Colliery. Coal predominantly and maybe some fireclay.The shaft is visible unlike so many shafts, so it's of great interest.It stands just inside the wooded part of the colliery area, with a house and garden next door reclaiming colliery land for a homestead.In that garden is what looks like a rockery at the front but has old cast concrete at the back. I wonder if it is part of a winding engine house for the shaft.Along with the spoil heaps (Is that red shale Brunel or Waste Fireclay?? Only the master Grumpytramp can tell) and the railway embankment leading out of the site, it's one of the best preserved remains of an old Leeds colliery.......The mighty Barwicker may be able to add some history on the pit as he has the records I borrowed but didn't note too well. At a rough guess late victorian sinking, 20th century closure, before the NCB.

Si

Post by Si »

Hi Phill. Just looked at your flickr page. Love the Peter Peril stuff! You're not thinking of going under a certain paper mill, are you?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Got into Old Maps Phill - Brown Moor colliery is shown on the 1854 map, it's to the east of the woods, but nothing is shown at the site of the shaft in question.The 1893 map also shows Brown Moor but also that the area of the shaft as planted with the spoil heaps depicted and the legend, 'West Yorkshire Colliery (disused)' so that suggests it came and went within a period of some 39 years. That it shows the area to be planted by that time suggests to me that closure was probably some years before 1893.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Right ok thanks for all the help and feedback guys!You can always count on the S.L team to come up trumps! I'm a little bit busy with things at the mo, but i'm going to digest all this info with great interest The area is certainly worth another look, we literally had half an hour to kill, so didn't have a great deal of time.Yes your right about the shaft Chameleon, the brick circular lining doesn't 'appear' to be a full circle, it has a concrete 'padstone or cement render'? In the wall, The other side seems to be a mud bank instead of brick. It is badly overgrown and hard to see though.There is a void in the mudbank side, it does go in some depth, i thought this strange as the shaft should literally just go down yes?Anyway i've put some more shaft pics up of the 'concrete' and 'void' section in the Secret Leeds group herehttp://www.flickr.com/groups/secretleeds/pool/Apologies to those not in the group who can't see them, perhaps Chameleon or Brandy can upload them on to S.L for me?There also poor quality camera flash shots, we didn't feel to comfortable stood on top of that shaft for too long :0P.s glad you liked the Peter Peril set Si.Cheers             
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Phills pics

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Phill's pics
Attachments
__TFMF_nqqyag45i3inbvz5gydjxcbm_109df202-f8c6-48f5-bdbf-a4f58fe7fcd0_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_nqqyag45i3inbvz5gydjxcbm_109df202-f8c6-48f5-bdbf-a4f58fe7fcd0_0_main.jpg (125.79 KiB) Viewed 2189 times