The Lemi

The green spaces and places of Leeds
Biscuit Tin

Post by Biscuit Tin »

Cheers, any idea of the year the photo's were taken. The steps are has I remember them, climbed them every day to go to school, I lived in the Danube's on the other side of the Lemi.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Any thoughts about Leamington Cricket club Biscuit Tin? did anyone ever talk about the recreation ground having been a cricket ground?
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

Biscuit Tin

Post by Biscuit Tin »

Not to my knowledge, but a few have suggested the link between the names.I am really amazed by all this, I thought my past was a long time buried. I asked a question Monday this week and since then my past is back, I have a picture of the house I grew up in and can almost trace my steps to school - Ingram Road and then Matthew Murray!!Will you keep you informed should I find out anything regarding the cricket link.Regards

fluffysheep

Post by fluffysheep »

Here's the 1890 map showing the cricket ground. It's where Domestic Road crosses Ingram Road today. At the left side of the map, there is the Mill Green Goit, which perhaps is where the name comes from when it changes later on.
Attachments
__TFMF_u1cicg55ubp1ofuxfi2mok55_9bbbdb77-7c85-47a4-8b40-85de0c18c37e_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_u1cicg55ubp1ofuxfi2mok55_9bbbdb77-7c85-47a4-8b40-85de0c18c37e_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (30.09 KiB) Viewed 2157 times

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Great map that fluffy.. Have you got a bigger version.. Just past the goit? That would help me with things i've been looking at.. Cheers :-)
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

fluffysheep

Post by fluffysheep »

Which direction past the goit, to the left? Not sure if I can post a bigger version on here as it seems to resize it automatically. I could email you the jpg if that's a better option.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Yes to the left... Please mail it to me fluffy.. Many thanks    [email protected]
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Hi Biscuit-Tinnot sure of Photo date , but if you look closely at one of them there is what appears to be a vespa or Lambretta scooter parked in the street semi covered with a ( plastic? ) sheet. I would guess at a rough date of early sixties as motor bikes seemed to be more of a fifties thing, scooters the sixties, but no later than 1969 as this area was demolished about this time to make way for Domestic street industrial estate.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

TABBYCAT wrote: Hi Biscuit Tinaccording to my mother, the "lemmy" did indeed exist I think these two links may be of use.http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... ULLregards tabbycat That 1st picture is a brilliant find Tabby. It's helped me with some research.. Cheers i'm chuffed now :-)
Attachments
__TFMF_i0pkrsbchzjgvo45el3q3f45_b2da76c9-21b3-46f8-a7ea-cd241f7b2cd9_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_i0pkrsbchzjgvo45el3q3f45_b2da76c9-21b3-46f8-a7ea-cd241f7b2cd9_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (32.53 KiB) Viewed 2157 times

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

my pleasure Phill-dthe thing I love about this site is that you can recreate a history of your own city thats not a million years in the past. it's fairly recent and a lot of people from that past are still here who can verify things. For example whilst Leodis may have no reference to the "Lemmi" there are people still around who can supply another reference, more valid, ie croydon street Barktson Terrace etc and with luck the thing you seek may be tagged on somewhere along the line.Some of the postings (Drapsies pub stuff and your own industrial pics especialy) have made Me look twice at where I live.regards Tabby