Thrift Stores

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Maybe late 70's Blakey?

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

chameleon wrote: Maybe late 70's Blakey? Yes I would say about then, or maybe mid 70s - was it just after Willis Ludlows in the same building ??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

BLAKEY wrote: chameleon wrote: Maybe late 70's Blakey? Yes I would say about then, or maybe mid 70s - was it just after Willis Ludlows in the same building ?? Yup, that's it!

dervish99

Post by dervish99 »

Hi my dad used to a manager at the Thrift store in Horsforth during the 70's.Do you remember the Grandways down the bottom of Dewsbury Road, just past the fire station.
Near a tree by a river, there's a hole in the ground.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

dervish99 wrote: Hi my dad used to a manager at the Thrift store in Horsforth during the 70's.Do you remember the Grandways down the bottom of Dewsbury Road, just past the fire station. Do you know what happened to Thrift, did they go bust and if so when?I don't remember Grandways. Thrift might a good name to resurrect in these times of austerity. It actually has a good ring about it unlike the meaningless Aldi, Lidl etc.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

blackprince wrote: dervish99 wrote: Hi my dad used to a manager at the Thrift store in Horsforth during the 70's.Do you remember the Grandways down the bottom of Dewsbury Road, just past the fire station. Do you know what happened to Thrift, did they go bust and if so when?I don't remember Grandways. Thrift might a good name to resurrect in these times of austerity. It actually has a good ring about it unlike the meaningless Aldi, Lidl etc. Thrift closed their operations c1970. There were a number of Grandways supermarkets in and around Leeds - I think they were taken over by Wm Jackson's of Hull - who in turn were taken over by Sainsbury's 3 or 4 (?)years ago
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

FLOJO

Post by FLOJO »

dervish99 wrote: Hi my dad used to a manager at the Thrift store in Horsforth during the 70's.Do you remember the Grandways down the bottom of Dewsbury Road, just past the fire station. I can remember Grandways on Dewsbury Road in the the late 70s i think at that time it was the only supermarket in South Leeds, also on that parade there was a fishmongers which you dont see anymore.
Ex Leeds Lass

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

Pretty sure this a Thrift Store late 1960's, junction Gledhow Ave/Gled. Wood Ave
Attachments
__TFMF_hfbxpe45rtvqjdfniwxlvu45_cd631a32-ae9a-435f-976d-08266abe49f5_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_hfbxpe45rtvqjdfniwxlvu45_cd631a32-ae9a-435f-976d-08266abe49f5_0_main.jpg (85.35 KiB) Viewed 2991 times

Derculees

Post by Derculees »

I also waited for many a bus at Kirkstall. I'm sure the Thrift store was taken over by Hirst or (Hurst) & Sandler at some point. I also remember 'Jacksons' on Otley Road Headingley, their bilberry tarts with cream on top were gorgeous. Don't know if their shop was a one off or a chain.
Touch not but the glove

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Derculees wrote: I also waited for many a bus at Kirkstall. I'm sure the Thrift store was taken over by Hirst or (Hurst) & Sandler at some point. I also remember 'Jacksons' on Otley Road Headingley, their bilberry tarts with cream on top were gorgeous. Don't know if their shop was a one off or a chain. It was Hurst and Sandler. They took over the Thrift HQ in Kirkstall originally to be a warehouse for the various department stores around Yorkshire that they ran (Willis Ludlow in Leeds and Hull,Lingards in Bradford, Willis's in Halifax, Banners in Sheffield etc). They decided to use part of the store for a retail outlet, which they called Clover. Over the years the need for warehousing decreased, as the city centre stores closed, and so 'Clover' increased in size. Hurst and Sandler became part of UDS, which eventually became Allders department stores..
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.