Thrift Stores

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Uno Hoo wrote: BLAKEY wrote: Uno Hoo wrote: The other regional multiples of the period included John S. Driver, Jesse Stephenson, and Albert Hanson - "for all your butter & bacon". Hi Uno Hoo - let's not forget yet another chain of similar shops - "ALTHAMS." I may easily be wrong, but I have a feeling that when the vogue for these little shops began to wane Althams shrank into being just travel agents, unless that was another firm with the same somewhat unusual name ?? Greetings to you too, BlakeyYou've caught me with your last posting, as I don't recall Althams at all, apart from the travel agency.I do remember Maypole Stores, though. ISTR a branch in Pudsey Lowtown. No doubt some of the Pudseyites will either confirm or else tell me I'm dreaming, which I probably am. Just remembered another one as well - they had a store in Brook Street, Ilkley and I'm sure others elsewhere - MELIAS (full name Melias and Pritchard) - oh and another - REDMANS for GOOD BACON !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

drapesy wrote: blackprince wrote: Trojan wrote: There was a Thrift Stores on South Queen Street in Morley, I wonder did they just cover Leeds and West Riding or were they a national company.BTW Thrift was pictured on the pre 1953 brass threepenny pieces         I'd forgotten what was depicted on the old threepenny bit. What was on the post 1953 coin? I think it was a sort of 'portcullis' affair It was.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Uno Hoo wrote: BLAKEY wrote: Uno Hoo wrote: The other regional multiples of the period included John S. Driver, Jesse Stephenson, and Albert Hanson - "for all your butter & bacon". Hi Uno Hoo - let's not forget yet another chain of similar shops - "ALTHAMS." I may easily be wrong, but I have a feeling that when the vogue for these little shops began to wane Althams shrank into being just travel agents, unless that was another firm with the same somewhat unusual name ?? Greetings to you too, BlakeyYou've caught me with your last posting, as I don't recall Althams at all, apart from the travel agency.I do remember Maypole Stores, though. ISTR a branch in Pudsey Lowtown. No doubt some of the Pudseyites will either confirm or else tell me I'm dreaming, which I probably am. There was an Althams in Morley - there still is but it's a travel agency, but they used to sell groceries - a bit like Thrift and also pots and pans I think.There was no Meadow Dairy or Maypole in Morley - there was a Melias.I remember Redmans in Leeds market though. My mam used to buy ingredients for our Christmas cake there - they also sold potted salmon. I got a craving for this stuff a couple of years ago - got a recipe out of the library and tried extremely unsuccessfully to duplicate it.
Industria Omnia Vincit

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

The THRIFT STORES shop in Kirkstall Hill appears on the Leodis picture in the "Snowy winters in Leeds" topic.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

drapesy wrote: their HQ was the BHS building in Kirkstall(formerley Allders/Clover). they had many stores in Leeds - tended to be small corner shop type. they missed a trick with the advent of supermarkets and wound up c 1970 Thanks for the pic Drapesy.I must have stood in front of this building, with its distinctive clock tower, many times waiting for a bus but had completely forgotten its connection with the Thrift.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

daver

Post by daver »

There was a Thrift store on Westfield Road in Burley.If you had not paid your "tick" at the end of the week your name was put on a card in the window.The first supermarket I remember in Leeds center wasGrandways, I think they also opened one in Horsforthwhere the Glenroyal picture house was.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

daver wrote: There was a Thrift store on Westfield Road in Burley.If you had not paid your "tick" at the end of the week your name was put on a card in the window.The first supermarket I remember in Leeds center wasGrandways, I think they also opened one in Horsforthwhere the Glenroyal picture house was                     Quite right Daver - the big Grandways was in New York Road in the premises of the former Standard and Triumph main dealers, Kaye & Co. There ws also one in Otley Road, Headingley near to the North Lane junction.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

BLAKEY wrote: daver wrote: There was a Thrift store on Westfield Road in Burley.If you had not paid your "tick" at the end of the week your name was put on a card in the window.The first supermarket I remember in Leeds center wasGrandways, I think they also opened one in Horsforthwhere the Glenroyal picture house was                     Quite right Daver - the big Grandways was in New York Road in the premises of the former Standard and Triumph main dealers, Kaye & Co. There ws also one in Otley Road, Headingley near to the North Lane junction. Were they not also at Vicar Lane/Sidney Street near the market, food hall downstairs?

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

BLAKEY wrote: daver wrote: There was a Thrift store on Westfield Road in Burley.If you had not paid your "tick" at the end of the week your name was put on a card in the window.The first supermarket I remember in Leeds center wasGrandways, I think they also opened one in Horsforthwhere the Glenroyal picture house was                     Quite right Daver - the big Grandways was in New York Road in the premises of the former Standard and Triumph main dealers, Kaye & Co. There ws also one in Otley Road, Headingley near to the North Lane junction. That would be in the Arndale. There used to be a Grandways in Morley - on Albion Street, in fact at one time there were quite a number in Morley centre - Fine Fare, Co-op, Grandways, Tesco and of course Morrisons. Asda in Morley were where they are now off Britannia Road. Between them Morrisons and Asda saw the rest off. And then Sainsbury's at the White Rose made a third. I can only assume that these three are the reason why neither Netto, nor Aldi, nor Lidl have opened in Morley. Too much competition. Pity really Lidl in particular have a good selection and are competitively priced.
Industria Omnia Vincit

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

chameleon wrote: BLAKEY wrote: daver wrote: There was a Thrift store on Westfield Road in Burley.If you had not paid your "tick" at the end of the week your name was put on a card in the window.The first supermarket I remember in Leeds center wasGrandways, I think they also opened one in Horsforthwhere the Glenroyal picture house was                     Quite right Daver - the big Grandways was in New York Road in the premises of the former Standard and Triumph main dealers, Kaye & Co. There ws also one in Otley Road, Headingley near to the North Lane junction. Were they not also at Vicar Lane/Sidney Street near the market, food hall downstairs? Yes I'd forgotten all about that later store downstairs in Sydney Street - always struck me as a rather odd "summat and nowt" kind of place. I believe it was more recent than the original big store in New York Road.