Changing Names

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Tasa

Post by Tasa »

cnosni wrote: Si wrote: Not Stanningley, is it? There was a Huddersfield Arms there. No mate,New Huddersfield was defo Woodhouse I've found it now - it was behind St Marks Church, where Woodhouse Dye Works used to be.

simong

Post by simong »

BLAKEY wrote: This gets more interesting simonq and the exact area seems open to debate. I have looked at my old Samuel Ledgard fare tables from 1958 and, for the Leeds - Guiseley - Ilkley route along the main A65 road, are three fare stages as follows :-Henshaw LaneNew Scarborough OR Nunroyd MillsOxford Road (Station Hotel)The middle one was what was known as a "double stage" and, depending on direction of travel, was intended to slightly cheapen the journey for some key workers. Our habit was to call out "New Scarborough" at Aireborough Grammar School stop (just the Guiseley side of Kirk Lane) where all the new houses are now. So I can't help any further than that at present I'm afraid - perhaps some senior local folk can ?? - keep an ear open at the inn !! Oh just had an afterthought. There used to be a small but excellent coach firm right at the junction of the A65 and Kirk Lane. This was E. Grange and Sons, Guiseley and Yeadon Tours. Mr. Grange lived in the large house which I believe is still there near the Jet petron station - and the firm's registered address was I'm almost certain "New Scarborough."         Trying the obvious, a search for New Scarboro on Leodis returns the sewage works on Milner Lane, with Marshall's brickworks and Low Mill. They're on the south-west side of New Road, on the turn immediately after St Peter's Church. That area has always given me the impression of being a model village of some kind, and matches with the houses along Whack House Lane, which were also presumably built to service the mills at the bottom of the hill. I would therefore assume that New Scarborough is both sides of the main road in the area between Nunroyd Park and at least Whack House Lane, which also crosses the A65.A look on Google Maps suggests that Grange's yard might also still be there. The house is on the corner of Kirk Lane and New Road and there's a tarmaced yard next to it that would fit a few buses comfortably.

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Wikipedia explains the Chapletown question a bit... ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapeltown,_West_Yorkshire
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

simong wrote: BLAKEY wrote: This gets more interesting simonq and the exact area seems open to debate. I have looked at my old Samuel Ledgard fare tables from 1958 and, for the Leeds - Guiseley - Ilkley route along the main A65 road, are three fare stages as follows :-Henshaw LaneNew Scarborough OR Nunroyd MillsOxford Road (Station Hotel)The middle one was what was known as a "double stage" and, depending on direction of travel, was intended to slightly cheapen the journey for some key workers. Our habit was to call out "New Scarborough" at Aireborough Grammar School stop (just the Guiseley side of Kirk Lane) where all the new houses are now. So I can't help any further than that at present I'm afraid - perhaps some senior local folk can ?? - keep an ear open at the inn !! Oh just had an afterthought. There used to be a small but excellent coach firm right at the junction of the A65 and Kirk Lane. This was E. Grange and Sons, Guiseley and Yeadon Tours. Mr. Grange lived in the large house which I believe is still there near the Jet petron station - and the firm's registered address was I'm almost certain "New Scarborough."         Trying the obvious, a search for New Scarboro on Leodis returns the sewage works on Milner Lane, with Marshall's brickworks and Low Mill. They're on the south-west side of New Road, on the turn immediately after St Peter's Church. That area has always given me the impression of being a model village of some kind, and matches with the houses along Whack House Lane, which were also presumably built to service the mills at the bottom of the hill. I would therefore assume that New Scarborough is both sides of the main road in the area between Nunroyd Park and at least Whack House Lane, which also crosses the A65.A look on Google Maps suggests that Grange's yard might also still be there. The house is on the corner of Kirk Lane and New Road and there's a tarmaced yard next to it that would fit a few buses comfortably. Excellent research, and I daresay that's about spot on. The two stops I mention in the "double" fare stage are either side of Nunroyd Park. The Grammar School stop (New Scarborough) was near Kirk Lane, and Nunroyd Mills (J. J L. and C. Peate) was opposite the Guiseley end and the still existing houses in Nunroyd Avenue.Incidentally I have in my collection an old photo of one of Mr. Grange's coaches - an Albion with extremely rare body by Tower Coachworks of Upper Wortley/Armley - awaiting bookings in Albert Square. Journeys to the west coast resorts in particular were long drawn out affairs, but Oh what happy days.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

simong wrote: BLAKEY wrote: This gets more interesting simonq and the exact area seems open to debate. I have looked at my old Samuel Ledgard fare tables from 1958 and, for the Leeds - Guiseley - Ilkley route along the main A65 road, are three fare stages as follows :-Henshaw LaneNew Scarborough OR Nunroyd MillsOxford Road (Station Hotel)The middle one was what was known as a "double stage" and, depending on direction of travel, was intended to slightly cheapen the journey for some key workers. Our habit was to call out "New Scarborough" at Aireborough Grammar School stop (just the Guiseley side of Kirk Lane) where all the new houses are now. So I can't help any further than that at present I'm afraid - perhaps some senior local folk can ?? - keep an ear open at the inn !! Oh just had an afterthought. There used to be a small but excellent coach firm right at the junction of the A65 and Kirk Lane. This was E. Grange and Sons, Guiseley and Yeadon Tours. Mr. Grange lived in the large house which I believe is still there near the Jet petron station - and the firm's registered address was I'm almost certain "New Scarborough."         Trying the obvious, a search for New Scarboro on Leodis returns the sewage works on Milner Lane, with Marshall's brickworks and Low Mill. They're on the south-west side of New Road, on the turn immediately after St Peter's Church. That area has always given me the impression of being a model village of some kind, and matches with the houses along Whack House Lane, which were also presumably built to service the mills at the bottom of the hill. I would therefore assume that New Scarborough is both sides of the main road in the area between Nunroyd Park and at least Whack House Lane, which also crosses the A65.A look on Google Maps suggests that Grange's yard might also still be there. The house is on the corner of Kirk Lane and New Road and there's a tarmaced yard next to it that would fit a few buses comfortably. The house where Granges coaches were based on the corner of Kirk lane is still there but is now a fireplace showroom and the Jet petrol station is now a car hire place. I have read somewhere in one of my local history books why this area is called New Scarborough so will have a search through and see if I can find it.

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

simong wrote: Trying the obvious, a search for New Scarboro on Leodis returns the sewage works on Milner Lane, with Marshall's brickworks and Low Mill. They're on the south-west side of New Road, on the turn immediately after St Peter's Church. That area has always given me the impression of being a model village of some kind, and matches with the houses along Whack House Lane, which were also presumably built to service the mills at the bottom of the hill. I would therefore assume that New Scarborough is both sides of the main road in the area between Nunroyd Park and at least Whack House Lane, which also crosses the A65.A look on Google Maps suggests that Grange's yard might also still be there. The house is on the corner of Kirk Lane and New Road and there's a tarmaced yard next to it that would fit a few buses comfortably. Here's New Scarborough, exactly where you said it was! This is from a map dated 1893.
Attachments
__TFMF_a01ewo453aldfi55y3kxzaak_234c3e77-0e4c-4a9c-964c-6258621b1529_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_a01ewo453aldfi55y3kxzaak_234c3e77-0e4c-4a9c-964c-6258621b1529_0_main.jpg (166.23 KiB) Viewed 2922 times

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

And here 'she blows' againps/and the original question was new Scarboro was it not?So are these two slightly different areas then?
Attachments
__TFMF_oic0hd320pmezv555jhyq145_502428cf-5f5c-4fef-a857-8791dda16979_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_oic0hd320pmezv555jhyq145_502428cf-5f5c-4fef-a857-8791dda16979_0_main.jpg (142.1 KiB) Viewed 2922 times
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

simong

Post by simong »

Brandy wrote: And here 'she blows' againps/and the original question was new Scarboro was it not?So are these two slightly different areas then? According to Google Maps there's another one near West Ardsley

simong

Post by simong »

Tasa wrote: Here's New Scarborough, exactly where you said it was! This is from a map dated 1893. Excellent find! However it still makes me wonder why it's still signposted at the top of the hill if it's on the other side of the main road. I would imagine that it probably got larger in the intervening years and has declined in use since the mills went, and possibly since Aireborough was absorbed into Leeds.When I was looking around this morning I was wondering how long it's going to be before Google (or someone clever using Google) is going to overlay old maps on Google Earth. I'm sure someone must be doing it by now.

simong

Post by simong »

BLAKEY wrote: Incidentally I have in my collection an old photo of one of Mr. Grange's coaches - an Albion with extremely rare body by Tower Coachworks of Upper Wortley/Armley - awaiting bookings in Albert Square. Journeys to the west coast resorts in particular were long drawn out affairs, but Oh what happy days. I'd like to see that as I live on Albert Square. Leodis has some photos of the fair from the turn of the century and before but not so many of the time when it was basically a car park.