Who was Neville?

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Both Leeds and Newcastle have a Neville Street. Coincidence or was he some sort of Victorian big cheese?

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

One of the famous Neville dynasty, I imagine. Richard Neville was Warwick The Kingmaker, i.e Earl of Warwick at the time of the Wars of the Roses. In what seems to be a contradiction in terms, I understand that most Yorkshiremen supported the House of Lancaster. Anyway, since when was the Duke of York a Yorkshireman? The present one's a prat.    
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Cardiarms wrote: Both Leeds and Newcastle have a Neville Street. Coincidence or was he some sort of Victorian big cheese? And curiously, both streets run past the respective railway stations. That's struck me before.

simonm

Post by simonm »

Uno Hoo wrote: One of the famous Neville dynasty, I imagine. Richard Neville was Warwick The Kingmaker, i.e Earl of Warwick at the time of the Wars of the Roses. In what seems to be a contradiction in terms, I understand that most Yorkshiremen supported the House of Lancaster. Anyway, since when was the Duke of York a Yorkshireman? The present one's a prat.     Very true about the WotR. Majority of forces fightin in the York camp were nobility and private armies. The house of Lancs used the commoners from the northern regions. Hence majority of Yorkshire folk fought, and died on the side of the red rose. In those days it wasn't about pride of the county etc, it was between the differing houses and their claims to the throne.
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Im not so sure about the Wars of the Roses connection for the Leeds street.Lets not forget Neville Hill in Osmondthorpe.The Right Reverand Wiggy came up with this a while ago regarding the origins of Neville Hill:-Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland Record Office: Peake MSS Reference: DE220/61Creation dates: 9 Edw. IV, June 9 [1469]Physical characteristics: Seal, on tag, red wax, device, chippedScope and ContentConfirmation; chirograph: Wm. Nevill, esq., son and heir of Wm.Nevill, late of Thornton super Swale, esq., to Joan, wife of said Wm.Nevill the father: recites a deed of 20 June 6 Edward IV by whichRobert Symson alias Robt. Robynson, clerk and dean of the church ofthe Blessed Mary of Darlyngton, John Catryk, esq., Wm. Cobell ofFremyngton, esq., John Thwynge, Wm. Snawsell, Stephen Brode and JohnBrode, chaplain demised to Wm. Nevile, esq., and Joan his wife, boththe capital messuage or burgage in LEDES in tenure of the Prior ofHoly [...] Trini of York together with all other their messuages,lands, (etc.), in LEDES, and also their other lands and tenements inKnoythorp and Osmondthorp in parish of LEDES, and a close called leHill in the said parish and Milby within the liberty of Richemond,lately had by gift and feoffment of said Wm. Nevile, to hold for livesof said Wm. and Joan, remainder to Wm. Nevile, son and heir apparentof said Wm., for ever, holding of the chief lords; also a deed of 12July 8 Edward IV by which Wm. Snawsell of York, goldsmith, JohnGisburgh, clerk, John Thwynge and Thos. Conyers?, gents., demised tosaid Wm. and Joan 4 closes in Cundall, lately had by gift andfeoffment of same Wm. Nevile, of which one called le Mekilclose aliasDouffeclose, a second le Milnclose, a third le Milnegrene and lyingbetween le Milnbek and a stone bridge called Thorntonbrigg with acertain le Bank in the same close on the King's way there adjacent,and a fourth close called le Baronclose and lying next the field ofCundall, which closes were lately in the tenure of Wm. Smyth, late ofBraferton and now in tenure of Thos. Scanceby of York, merchant, tohold of the chief lords; and also a deed of 6 December 7 Edward IV bywhich John Thwynge, Robt. Thwynge of York, gents., and Wm. Snawsell ofYork, goldsmith, and John Brode, chaplain, demised to said Wm. andJoan lands, (etc.), in Reeston and Hilhous in parish of LEDES, latelyhad by gift and feoffment of said Wm., to hold of the chief lords: Wm.Nevill, son of said Wm. Nevill the father, now confirms said Joan (hismother) in the aforesaid premises for her life, any entail foundexcepted: warranty and sealing clauses.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Hector

Post by Hector »

I thought the Nevilles in relation to Neville Hill, Osmondthorpe had joined the Pilgrimage of Grace, in opposition to Henry 8 anti Catholic policy. I assumed the Nevilles owned land in the area. Doesn't answer the original query though.