LGI

Bunkers, shelters and other buildings
Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

Chrism wrote: chameleon wrote: Don't I remember the Brotherton Wing being mostly used for private paying patients many years ago? I don't know, do you? It was built before the war for what used to be called "the middle class" to be halfway between an upper class private nursing home and a public hospital anybody could use.As Basil Fawlty would have said "No Riff Raff" :-)I don't know precisely what the position was when the NHS was started after the war, I think it was quite confused with some rooms used as "Amenity beds" for the NHS, some used as doctor's offices and some as private hospital rooms. One of the Labour governments phased out the sharing of NHS facilities with private treatment more or less at the same time as BUPA opened their hospitals around Leeds. Something like that.One thing that amuses me is the sign (I don't remember the neon one) saying "Hospital Quiet Please" ! Because they then started running pop concerts in the Civic Hall Gardens !You couldn't make it up!
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

sazzle

Post by sazzle »

I was in the LGI last summer for a couple of weeks (Jubilee Wing) and spent a lot of time in the roof garden. Nurses told me then that the plan was to move everything to Jimmys by 2012. The only thing remaining would be the Jubilee wing which would become a childrens hospital. The rest was to be sold off. however with the credit crunch etc who knows if this is still the plan.Anybody know what is under the Rose Garden in the hospital (mentioned earlier in this thread)? There are tunnels/corrdiors underneath, you can see them as you sit in the garden through low level windows. Maybe for porters etc.
Saz

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

chameleon wrote: Don't I remember the Brotherton Wing being mostly used for private paying patients many years ago? A section of the Brotherton wing was for private patients in the 70's .My boss's father was in there a lot and they always "went private"

mlh24

Post by mlh24 »

Sazzle, the windows you can see through the rose garden are on the A floor corridor, which is used by staff and public alike. There may be a parallel corridor used only by maintenance - but if there is, I haven't been down it.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Chrism wrote: I thought so! sure?

steve

Post by steve »

hi found this site by accident while looking for something else so im new to this,while looking round i found this page i also work at the LGI for my sins and thought i could shed some light on some of the bits that are missing there are tunnels under the LGI the one mentioned on A Floor at the brotherton wing does go down another level and did goto the old neuro theatres at the end where the hearing place is now, you could only access the theatres from the lift near the balconys also from the level below A Floor you could walk round to Martin Wing underground from there you go underneath to the Old Nurses home now THQ fron there you can get to the old boiler room thats the old building at the top of jubblie drive you could also go from A Floor Great Goerge st entrance right up to the same place underground, the corridor is rather low in places, the corridor you can see from B Floor is A floor corridor and there is a parallel corridor which i was told used to be where they brewed beer many years ago, C Floor used to be the only private patients ward at the LGIhope this helps

steve

Post by steve »

hi found this site by accident while looking for something else so im new to this,while looking round i found this page i also work at the LGI for my sins i remember when nurses use to wear hats,and thought i could shed some light on some of the bits that are missing there are tunnels under the LGI the one mentioned on A Floor at the brotherton wing does go down another level and did goto the old neuro theatres at the end where the hearing place is now, you could only access the theatres from the lift near the balconys also from the level below A Floor you could walk round to Martin Wing underground from there you go underneath to the Old Nurses home now THQ fron there you can get to the old boiler room thats the old building at the top of jubblie drive you could also go from A Floor Great Goerge st entrance right up to the same place underground, the corridor is rather low in places, the corridor you can see from B Floor is A floor corridor and there is a parallel corridor which i was told used to be where they brewed beer many years ago, C Floor used to be the only private patients ward at the LGIhope this helps

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

chameleon wrote: Chrism wrote: chameleon wrote: Don't I remember the Brotherton Wing being mostly used for private paying patients many years ago? I don't know, do you? oooook. I know I think I thought I knew, but I thought that what I thought might have been but just a thought rather than thinking that what I thought was a fact to think about(and arry seems to think the thought was right!) Been poorly sick all week. Who's tekkin me name in vain and Why?

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

chameleon wrote: Chrism wrote: I thought so! sure? I think I am.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

steve

Post by steve »

hi just C Floor was for private patients, B Floor was ENT, D Floor heamotolgy, E Floor dermotolgy, DAWSON Floor Cath Labs hope this helps