Stanningley Train Station

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Cardiarms wrote: Somewhere on thsi site is a link to a site that has old rail maps etc on it. From the useful links link on the site header http://www.lostrailwayswestyorkshire.co.ukUseful Links also has a link to a site for closed stations
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

That would be useful. Why didn;t anybody think of that? :-D

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

BLAKEY wrote: Cardiarms wrote: If you can can you cave a look at the old 'works' on the corner of Slater's Row and Town Street? It's a stone factory shed of some age. There's an inscription on the lintel facing the road that I've never been able to read from the car or bus and have always wondered what it said. Have put a note in my wallet (there's plenty of vacant space !! ) and will have a look asap.What a wonderful topic this is, and I for one didn't expect such a wealth of data to come to light so quickly.     Hello Cardiarms - been up this lunchtime but can't find what you mean so can you confirm which building it is please ??The building I looked at is at the junction of Slater's ROAD (not Row) and Town Street. It is a very old stone building with various windows and doors filled in neatly with matching stone. It is set back just a few yards from the road, and has one or two "Jeff Skinner" skips on the grass near Town Street. No sign of of any kind of inscription on any lintels. Just to confirm the location, on the other corner of Slater's Road is a modern building for "Ivor Burns Shoes" - is this the right place ? - if not will gladly have another look soon.
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Thanks for looking, that's the one. I'm sure there's a blocked up door in the middle of the wall facing town street and a lintel above it with some verbage written on it. Occasionally there's bits of metal stacked in the area between the building and the road, maybe in the way. It's about 4 or 5 ft of the present ground level.

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Cardiarms wrote: Thanks for looking, that's the one. I'm sure there's a blocked up door in the middle of the wall facing town street and a lintel above it with some verbage written on it. Occasionally there's bits of metal stacked in the area between the building and the road, maybe in the way. It's about 4 or 5 ft of the present ground level. Right Ho - that's good and we've got the right building - and I think I did notice that blocked up door. Next time I'll go boldly in and have a closer look as I'm sure no-one would mind if I explained.Watch this space     
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Barwicker wrote: I bite my tongue over many things appearing on this forum but "Train Station"??? That is an americanism. Railway Station is English. I'm not sure 'Train Station' is an Americanism - surely they would more usually call it 'Railroad Station'.    
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

When i was a kid my nearest station was the Hunslet Station i used to climb on a wall to watch the L M S and L N E R trains go by.I did a job on the site of this station about twenty five years ago i found an old cast iron sign under the ballast.Its dated june 1899 its quite large about two foot six long by two foot,its a half inch thick made for the Midland Railway company i have still got it i think its nostalga reminds me of my childhood.    

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

sundowner wrote: When i was a kid my nearest station was the Hunslet Station i used to climb on a wall to watch the L M S and L N E R trains go by.I did a job on the site of this station about twenty five years ago i found an old cast iron sign under the ballast.Its dated june 1899 its quite large about two foot six long by two foot,its a half inch thick made for the Midland Railway company i have still got it i think its nostalga reminds me of my childhood.     What does the sign say Sundowner ?? -"DO NOT NICK THE RAILWAY PROPERTY - PENALTY FORTY SHILLINGS"

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

BLAKEY wrote: sundowner wrote: When i was a kid my nearest station was the Hunslet Station i used to climb on a wall to watch the L M S and L N E R trains go by.I did a job on the site of this station about twenty five years ago i found an old cast iron sign under the ballast.Its dated june 1899 its quite large about two foot six long by two foot,its a half inch thick made for the Midland Railway company i have still got it i think its nostalga reminds me of my childhood.     What does the sign say Sundowner ?? -"DO NOT NICK THE RAILWAY PROPERTY - PENALTY FORTY SHILLINGS" Hi BLAKEY just been in the shed my wife said im sad here is what it says MIDLAND RAILWAY That if any person shall be or travel or pass upon foot upon the MIDLAND RAILWAY without the licence and concent of the MIDLAND RAILWAY company every person so offending shall forfeitand pay any sum not exceeding ten pounds for every such offence notice is therefore hereby given that all persons found trespassing upon the railway or works there of will be prosecuted . June 1899    ALEXIS L CHARLES SECRETARY        

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

dogduke wrote: Cardiarms wrote: From the picture above the platform looks elevated, did the 'down' line to bradford extend that way towards the viaduct? Both platforms were a decent length,the photo shows it as it was right up to closure including the gas lights.The first photo was a signal box but not in my time,it was always the station masters office,you can see the staircase at the rear.the S.M in my time was Fred Waltham who hailed from Staddlethopre and came to Stanningley from the north east.Prior to him it was Vic Cotton whose wife used to organise excursions from Rothwell,a station that had been closed to passengers for many years. The Cottons moved to Calverley, ISTR some time before Stanningley station closed, and lived quite close to where I lived at the time. I never met them, but I'm pretty certain Mrs Cotton continued to organise excursions, and became quite well-known in the village. My sister was on good terms with their daughter Valerie - it's likely they attended school together.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.