Stanningley Train Station

Railways, trams, buses, etc.
Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

From the picture above the platform looks elevated, did the 'down' line to bradford extend that way towards the viaduct?

Barwicker

Post by Barwicker »

I bite my tongue over many things appearing on this forum but "Train Station"??? That is an americanism. Railway Station is English.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Cardiarms wrote: From the picture above the platform looks elevated, did the 'down' line to bradford extend that way towards the viaduct? Both platforms were a decent length,the photo shows it as it was right up to closure including the gas lights.The first photo was a signal box but not in my time,it was always the station masters office,you can see the staircase at the rear.the S.M in my time was Fred Waltham who hailed from Staddlethopre and came to Stanningley from the north east.Prior to him it was Vic Cotton whose wife used to organise excursions from Rothwell,a station that had been closed to passengers for many years.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

I know what you mean, what's wrong with horseless carriage?! :-)

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Cardiarms wrote: If you can can you cave a look at the old 'works' on the corner of Slater's Row and Town Street? It's a stone factory shed of some age. There's an inscription on the lintel facing the road that I've never been able to read from the car or bus and have always wondered what it said. Have put a note in my wallet (there's plenty of vacant space !! ) and will have a look asap.What a wonderful topic this is, and I for one didn't expect such a wealth of data to come to light so quickly.    
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Barwicker wrote: I bite my tongue over many things appearing on this forum but "Train Station"??? That is an americanism. Railway Station is English. Agreed,them damn Yankeedoodle's with there p'tarters n' t'marders lol
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

I never used Stanningley station as a passenger, but did used to wander there during school lunchtimes, as there was a path which ran from St Joseph's RC church in Pudsey, running parallel to Richardshaw Lane. The diesel units had just been introduced into service, so were enough of a novelty for us schoolboys to go and have a look. I remember that the gents toilet carried a notice exhorting users to "please adjust your dress BEFORE leaving". and I wondered how many in the Gents would actually wear dresses!I think Stanningley closed at about the time New Pudsey opened, and the concept of a commuter station was a novelty at the time. It seems a pity that the loop through Lowtown & Greenside closed, as it would have provided a valuable service today. The last remnants of its junction at Laisterdayke are vanishing rapidly as new construction work takes place. Can anyone identify the point near Bramley station where the loop rejoined the main line, as I can't tell these days when I pass on the train.My mother had a cousin who used to relate the following tale about himself. As a young man living with his mother just off Lowtown before he married, he used the train from nearby Lowtown station to travel to work in Leeds. He always left his departure from home until the very last minute, being unwilling to get out of bed, and would then run to the station, and usually would chase the departing train and clamber aboard. He was built for comfort rather than speed, and one day he left it too late, and had to stand and watch the train depart without him. Through one of its open windows he heard one regular passenger remark to another: " Ah see t'fat b****r's missed it this mornin'!"
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

LOL!From looking at Live search maps my guess is just east of the council waste centre on Grangefield Industrial estate.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Thanks, Cardi.I have a son who's a driver for Northern Rail, and altho' he wasn't a rail enthusiast when he took the job, he is becoming interested in the old rail infrastructure - he has a history degree. He's particularly interested in the Leeds/Bradford area, so I'll pass your snippet on to him.
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Somewhere on thsi site is a link to a site that has old rail maps etc on it.