Wellclose Terrace in 1933

The origins and history of placenames, nicknames, local slang, etc.
Si

Post by Si »

To add to your information, Confused, here is the area from the trusty 1906 Godfrey OS map of Central Leeds.The line of dashes up the middle of the terrace is an urban district boundary, according to the map's key.Carlton Hill Barracks are just off the bottom of the map, towards Leeds city centre.Click on the image to get an enlarged version.I'm guessing, but if the street is numbered from the city centre end outwards, number 55 would be the oddly shaped house, fourth from the end on the north side, or if on the south side, sixth from the end of the street.I've had a look on Leodis, but unusually, there are no pictures of Well Close Terrace, but lots of Well Close anything else. Still worth a look to get a general feel of the area, though.Hope this is of interest.        
Attachments
__TFMF_cejpfer22axfvi55ul2ejl55_5cfc5243-3aed-490c-a15d-80332043e0b1_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_cejpfer22axfvi55ul2ejl55_5cfc5243-3aed-490c-a15d-80332043e0b1_0_main.jpg (791.82 KiB) Viewed 2185 times

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

SiCan you point me in the direction of where you get these map extracts from?Also do youn know if Alan Godfrey do the leeds maps unfloded as sheets. I've got a large wall that's crying out for the old maps to be jigsawed together on.Cheers

Si

Post by Si »

Cardiarms wrote: SiCan you point me in the direction of where you get these map extracts from?Also do youn know if Alan Godfrey do the leeds maps unfloded as sheets. I've got a large wall that's crying out for the old maps to be jigsawed together on.Cheers Hi Cardiarms,I think I ordered them from Godfrey's website. Have a look. I think they're about £3 each, and arrive by post in a couple of days. Most of the centre of Leeds is covered, along with a few outlying areas like Yeadon, Idle and Otley (East.)I don't know if they supply them rolled rather than folded, though.They also do a set of four in a scale of one yard to a mile, for central Leeds. These are brilliant. They even show internal layouts of significant buildings. The smaller scale maps are from 1906-8, but the larger ones are from about 1847.Cheers,Si.PS What's the Cardiarms like these days? Haven't been in for years, but work nearby!        

confused

Post by confused »

Si wrote: To add to your information, Confused, here is the area from the trusty 1906 Godfrey OS map of Central Leeds.The line of dashes up the middle of the terrace is an urban district boundary, according to the map's key.Carlton Hill Barracks are just off the bottom of the map, towards Leeds city centre.Click on the image to get an enlarged version.I'm guessing, but if the street is numbered from the city centre end outwards, number 55 would be the oddly shaped house, fourth from the end on the north side, or if on the south side, sixth from the end of the street.I've had a look on Leodis, but unusually, there are no pictures of Well Close Terrace, but lots of Well Close anything else. Still worth a look to get a general feel of the area, though.Hope this is of interest.         thanks Si - that's great. Have printed the maps off to show my mum and I'll look on Leodis. You are all amazingly informative - I'm going to go back to the library and check the North West Ward today - thanks again

Si

Post by Si »

confused wrote: Si wrote: To add to your information, Confused, here is the area from the trusty 1906 Godfrey OS map of Central Leeds.The line of dashes up the middle of the terrace is an urban district boundary, according to the map's key.Carlton Hill Barracks are just off the bottom of the map, towards Leeds city centre.Click on the image to get an enlarged version.I'm guessing, but if the street is numbered from the city centre end outwards, number 55 would be the oddly shaped house, fourth from the end on the north side, or if on the south side, sixth from the end of the street.I've had a look on Leodis, but unusually, there are no pictures of Well Close Terrace, but lots of Well Close anything else. Still worth a look to get a general feel of the area, though.Hope this is of interest.         thanks Si - that's great. Have printed the maps off to show my mum and I'll look on Leodis. You are all amazingly informative - I'm going to go back to the library and check the North West Ward today - thanks again We try...................................

confused

Post by confused »

LS1 wrote: You'll have to copy both lines of the link as it has split it!! thanks for that

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Si wrote: PS What's the Cardiarms like these days? Haven't been in for years, but work nearby!         Thanks - I'll give Aland Godfrey a call. They're just round the corner from where my mum was born!The Cardi is quieter than it used to be and has gone through a succession of landlords recently though things seem to be settling down again. Don't get down as often as I used to either.